PDA

View Full Version : How do I find out ???

waterloged
08-05-2003, 08:18 PM
I just bought this flat, It has a Hondo on the dash. The guy said it was a 1977 model. Could I tell what it really is and what year, from the vin tag? This is a true flat bottom. thanks for any info...

Sangster
08-05-2003, 08:31 PM
What are the #'s.... :D

waterloged
08-05-2003, 08:44 PM
Here it is MTZ11064F989

Sangster
08-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Our hondo doesn't have #'s like that..But it's a 70'.....Sure someone can help... wink

waterloged
08-05-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks Sangster, you have been good help to me. :D

cal***boat
08-05-2003, 09:05 PM
MTZ is the manufaturer code -----> check this out because with that MTZ in the begining of the hull I.D. number that boat is not a Hondo. Click the link below.
HULL I.D. SEARCH (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=MTZ)

cal***boat
08-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Here is another site to go to so you can figure out your hull I.D. numbers.
What those numbers mean (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm)

dmontzsta
08-05-2003, 09:26 PM
shouldnt it say on the registration?
Hmmm...anyone know how to tell a Lavey year?
It says 1964 on the reg, just want to be sure.

Oldsquirt
08-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Any Hull ID # that starts with a 2 letter state abbreviation followed by a "Z" is an ID# issued by that state. Used either for homebuilt boats or for one that has had its original ID# removed, covered up, etc.
If it is a 1977, it should have had the Hull ID embossed into the right hand side of the transom. Perhaps it got filled in/covered up during a paint job?

cal***boat
08-05-2003, 09:45 PM
After checking a few websites this how I think his I.D number decodes
MTZ11064F989
MTZ ---> Montana Homemade Boats
11064 ---> Serial Number
F9 ---> Month of Manufactuer which is June
89 ---> Model year of boat which is 1989
Either way the boat is not a Hondo by those numbers.
The I.D numbers you posted did you get them off the hull ? or are the I.D numbers on the paper work you got with the boat ?
[ August 05, 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: cal***boat ]

cal***boat
08-05-2003, 09:47 PM
dmontzsta:
shouldnt it say on the registration?
Hmmm...anyone know how to tell a Lavey year?
It says 1964 on the reg, just want to be sure. Can't help with that one.
HIN numbers did not start until 1972

cal***boat
08-05-2003, 09:57 PM
I did shoot ya a 5 for finally going and getting your boat.
Now go and take some pictures of it and post them so we can see it.

waterloged
08-06-2003, 04:00 PM
cal***boat hay thanks for the info on this thing. I am a bit confused. The boat doesn't look like it could be a 89 model. It hasn't been in the water since 91. It does look like a Hondo, could it be like Sangster said " 1970"?? This boat in pieces, so I get to build it the way I want. So watch out for some the Questions.Thanks also for the five :D

Boatmike
08-06-2003, 04:09 PM
My Hondo t-deck starts with HND and the last two digits are 76 wich denote the year. I don't think you have a Hondo my friend.

waterloged
08-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Does any one have info on these Montana hulls??

cal***boat
08-06-2003, 06:22 PM
cal***boat:
MTZ is the manufaturer code -----> check this out because with that MTZ in the begining of the hull I.D. number that boat is not a Hondo. Click the link below.
HULL I.D. SEARCH (http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=MTZ) 406-444-2452 is the phone number listed on the above link for the people that built your boat

Oldsquirt
08-06-2003, 07:54 PM
I think you guys are confused. "MTZ" means it is a hull ID issued by the State of Montana to either a homebuilt hull or a hull that has had its original ID# removed. It doesn't mean it was built by "Montana Homemade Boats" Company. That phone number is probably for the state agency that handles boat registrations in Montana.

waterloged
08-06-2003, 08:03 PM
This boat really looks like a Hondo flat from the early 70's the title says "spcns" for the make. I just don't know!!! :rolleyes: burningm :confused:

Ratacole
08-06-2003, 08:35 PM
You know I just went & checked out my junk's numbers. Whoooh, that was close.... thought I might have to change my name to Rataboat :D

cal***boat
08-06-2003, 08:39 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
I think you guys are confused. "MTZ" means it is a hull ID issued by the State of Montana to either a homebuilt hull or a hull that has had its original ID# removed. It doesn't mean it was built by "Montana Homemade Boats" Company. That phone number is probably for the state agency that handles boat registrations in Montana. This boat really looks like a Hondo flat from the early 70's the title says "spcns" for the make. I just don't know!!!
Well it is confuseing to say the least, I wonder just what the "SPCNS" means. Try calling that phone number and see what happens.
[ August 06, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: cal***boat ]

waterloged
08-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Dave I was told that those letters on the title mean that it is home built or that the title was all messed up at one time. This thing doesn't look home built to me.

Ratacole
08-06-2003, 09:08 PM
waterloged:
Dave I was told that those letters on the title mean that it is home built or that the title was all messed up at one time. This thing doesn't look home built to me. It could be a stolen recovery, or some type of salvage title maybe? When I bought my boat the DMV could not find any trailer numbers due to sanding & paint. Even though I had a Calif. title, Nevada stamped there own numbers in it and gave me a title. The old pink slip said "Competitive Trailer" & the new one just says "Trailer". Just a thought. :confused:
Mike

superdave013
08-06-2003, 09:52 PM
cal***boat:
OLDSQUIRT:
I think you guys are confused. "MTZ" means it is a hull ID issued by the State of Montana to either a homebuilt hull or a hull that has had its original ID# removed. It doesn't mean it was built by "Montana Homemade Boats" Company. That phone number is probably for the state agency that handles boat registrations in Montana. This boat really looks like a Hondo flat from the early 70's the title says "spcns" for the make. I just don't know!!!
Well it is confuseing to say the least, I wonder just what the "SPCNS" means. Try calling that phone number and see what happens. SPCNS means "special construction" I.E. home made.
I've owned 2 Hondos and both of then had no numbers. One was a 74 and the other was a 73.
It could be a Hondo and the state made someone put that # on it to get it registered.
Post a pic of this bad boy.

waterloged
08-07-2003, 04:16 PM
yes I will get a camera from a friend and take a couple of shots for you guys so you can tell me what I have.