PDA

View Full Version : Summons for Jury Service...

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Do you guys go??? I get these every fricken year and always go!!! And it is always a waste of time!!!
A buddy of mine gets them and throws them in the trash. He says they can not prove you ever received it. It seems to work for him.
So what is your experience???

Mr. C
05-04-2007, 07:26 AM
i think it goes thru DMV as well now, if you don't respond by the 2nd notice they will not let you renew your liscense. not for sure just what i heard.

edog_103
05-04-2007, 07:28 AM
I went last week. It is a total waste of time. I get them every so often. I go and waste a day sitting in the room. They have wireless internet now wich makes it nice.

jrgaudettes
05-04-2007, 07:37 AM
i think it goes thru DMV as well now, if you don't respond by the 2nd notice they will not let you renew your liscense. not for sure just what i heard.
Never respond, Just as if I never recieved. Just got my liscence renewed this year. :D

yopengo
05-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Just tell them that you pick up your kids from school three times a week....works every time. :D

RitcheyRch
05-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Never thought of that. I had my doctor sign my form saying cant sit due to asthma complications.
Just tell them that you pick up your kids from school three times a week....works every time. :D

upsman105
05-04-2007, 07:43 AM
We they let you in the courtroom and sit down, after all is quiet look at the guy/gal and say that looks just like the son of bitch that that broke into my car, he/she must be guilty...works every time.:D :D

Devilman
05-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Do you guys go??? I get these every fricken year and always go!!! And it is always a waste of time!!!
A buddy of mine gets them and throws them in the trash. He says they can not prove you ever received it. It seems to work for him.
Same thing as your buddy..... Not sure if things are done quite the same there in Cali, but here they send those things out regular mail. No way to prove you ever got it. It would be a different story if it were registered or certified mail, etc.
I learned this info from a woman that worked in the dept. that sent out those jury summons, BTW. ;) :rollside:
The one & only time I went for jury duty, I got picked, LOL. It was a very interesting process, but it was strange to see & hear what other peoples ideas of justice were. I've never responded to a jury summons since.

Mr. C
05-04-2007, 07:46 AM
I never responded before either, but when i got my 2nd summons a month ago and i heard this i decided i would make the calls. never had to show and now i'm good to go for at least another year. Plus my work pays for up to 20 days so i though it might be kinda interesting.
Never respond, Just as if I never recieved. Just got my liscence renewed this year. :D

6 Dollar Boat
05-04-2007, 07:52 AM
I am on a trial right now, my work pays me for up to 2 weeks of jury duty, so it's like a little vacation...:D

RitcheyRch
05-04-2007, 07:54 AM
I agree, is odd that here in CA they send them out regular mail. No way to prove that you received it.
My company doesnt pay for jury duty. That used to be a valid excuse but not anymore.

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 07:59 AM
I agree, is odd that here in CA they send them out regular mail. No way to prove that you received it.
I think I'm going to try this. I just don't have the time to spend at a Court House. If work was slow...maybe, but we are balls to the walls right now.
I'll let you guys know if they issue a warrant for my arrest. Maybe someone can come and bail me out.:D :D :D

Mandelon
05-04-2007, 08:03 AM
I get them and reply honestly. I run my own small business, If I don't show up here then the 15 families supported by our employees who are not going to be working won't be getting paychecks. I have to be here.
So far it has always worked.

Ziggy
05-04-2007, 08:13 AM
I get them and reply honestly. I run my own small business, If I don't show up here then the 15 families supported by our employees who are not going to be working won't be getting paychecks. I have to be here.
Self employeed........Plus I carry the summons and my excuse directly to the jury room and they will toss it right into the excused bin in front of my eyes.
Commissioned sales employees can claim a financial hardship in most cases too....

Summer LuvN
05-04-2007, 08:19 AM
I've never gone to jury duty. If I ever have to be on trial I would not be judged by my peers because none of them were able to get out of jury duty:D

Devilman
05-04-2007, 08:22 AM
I think I'm going to try this. I just don't have the time to spend at a Court House. If work was slow...maybe, but we are balls to the walls right now.
I'll let you guys know if they issue a warrant for my arrest. Maybe someone can come and bail me out.:D :D :D
I would say HooterSled, but word on the street is he can't see over the steering wheel to drive....LOL :D

HOOTER SLED-
05-04-2007, 08:23 AM
I'll let you guys know if they issue a warrant for my arrest. Maybe someone can come and bail me out. :D :D
Ahahahahhaha!!! You're gonna be a good jail bitch.:crossx: :crossx: I'm gonna call and turn your ass in. :devil: Stop acting like your busy and shit too sucka!! I know the truth. :D :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
I think the self-employed thing should work for you.

HOOTER SLED-
05-04-2007, 08:26 AM
I would say HooterSled, but word on the street is he can't see over the steering wheel to drive....LOL :D
HEY!!! Who the hell pulled your string? :mad: Get the hell back to where you belong beeyatch. :yuk:

Kiddunot
05-04-2007, 08:30 AM
just write a letter back saying it would be a financial hardship for you to attend...that seems to work for me.
;)

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Jen and I both got one within the last 2 months. I extended mine till some time in June.
The info they give you and the phone number for Riverside sucks. I can't be gone from work monday and wednesdays as we are short staffed but thats all they ever offer.
If my date is on a tuesday or thursday I will go and tell them I hate white people and all flat billers....should get me excused from the Riverside Ct.:D:devil: ;)

DaddyMack
05-04-2007, 08:35 AM
As a judge it is always interesting to hear this...:jawdrop:
Then people wonder why juries hand out the awards they do to people that are successful at trial and complain about it and the system.

Summer LuvN
05-04-2007, 08:40 AM
As a judge it is always interesting to hear this...:jawdrop:
Then people wonder why juries hand out the awards they do to people that are successful at trial and complain about it and the system.
Maybe if our judicial sytem was about truth and justice you would not be seeing all this. The truth is, justice is bought and sold. Why waste our time?

Devilman
05-04-2007, 08:45 AM
HEY!!! Who the hell pulled your string? :mad: Get the hell back to where you belong beeyatch. :yuk:
LMAO :rollside:

Kachina26
05-04-2007, 08:46 AM
When I was working straight commission, I applied to be excused and got it. Now that I get paid to show by my employer, I go. I hope to get picked sometime. Oh, and they can and sometimes do, issue a bench warrant if you ignore it. A state official dropping it in the mail is all the proof they need that you got it. But don't take my word for it :D

HOOTER SLED-
05-04-2007, 08:50 AM
just write a letter back saying it would be a financial hardship for you to attend...that seems to work for me.
;)
Negative..............Just had to go recently..................the ole, my company doesn't pay, I'm the sole supporter of my family excuse won't work over here.

DaddyMack
05-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Maybe if our judicial sytem was about truth and justice you would not be seeing all this. The truth is, justice is bought and sold. Why waste our time?
Waste your time? Then don't complain about the system, or come up with a better one.
In a jury trial the JURY makes the decision. The jurors are paid something like $20.00 a day... is that what you mean? The judge (assuming you mean that judge's are bought) doesn't make the decision in a jury trial.. That's an easy statement to say... but whose truth?... ( for instance, if both parties say the opposite, with zero documentation or any other tesitmony or proof, who is right?) and not sure what you mean by bought and sold?... and criminal versus civil? Civil lawsuits are only about money... for the most part (exceptions exist)... Do you mean you pay for a better attorney, so you get what you pay for? or that you think the more money you have the better chance to win?
:idea:

HOOTER SLED-
05-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Jen and I both got one within the last 2 months. I extended mine till some time in June.
The info they give you and the phone number for Riverside sucks. I can't be gone from work monday and wednesdays as we are short staffed but thats all they ever offer.
If my date is on a tuesday or thursday I will go and tell them I hate white people and all flat billers....should get me excused from the Riverside Ct.:D:devil: ;)
LOL...Good luck beeyatch. Hey, FYI, you can request a transfer to the Corona Courthouse on Buena Vista if you do it in enough time. Then you don't have to drive to Riverside. Man, that shit was boring. Just did this. I was the last mofo to get kicked off for jury selection. Was there from 8-2:30.:sleeping:

Baja Big Dog
05-04-2007, 08:55 AM
It amazes me, we sit around here, (some of us during the day, when we could be on jury duty) and discuss all the Mexicans and other illegals, and then discuss all the ways to get out of one of OUR duties as an AMERICAN!!!
Come on guys, its a duty, step up to the plate...they have made it very convenient to serve now a days, I'm sure many of us remember the days when jury duty meant your went to court every day for 30 days!!!
And by the way;
Self employed...not excusable
Financial hardship...not excusable
Didn't get the notice..not excusable
Reminds of a story from years ago, I had a neighbor that came from another country, he learned the language, he studied the laws and finally got his citizenship, this guy was high on life, then about 4-5 years later he got a jury summons, you would not have believed this guy, he was dancing around, the family threw a party and got all shit faced the weekend before he went to court....it was amazing!
Ya go ahead and throw the summons in the trash!!!:confused:

HOOTER SLED-
05-04-2007, 09:00 AM
It amazes me, we sit around here, (some of us during the day, when we could be on jury duty) and discuss all the Mexicans and other illegals, and then discuss all the ways to get out of one of OUR duties as an AMERICAN!!!
Come on guys, its a duty, step up to the plate...they have made it very convenient to serve now a days, I'm sure many of us remember the days when jury duty meant your went to court every day for 30 days!!!
And by the way;
Self employed...not excusable
Financial hardship...not excusable
Didn't get the notice..not excusable
Reminds of a story from years ago, I had a neighbor that came from another country, he learned the language, he studied the laws and finally got his citizenship, this guy was high on life, then about 4-5 years later he got a jury summons, you would not have believed this guy, he was dancing around, the family threw a party and got all shit faced the weekend before he went to court....it was amazing!
Ya go ahead and throw the summons in the trash!!!:confused:
It really isn't that bad. It's actually interesting. I'm just not gonna use my vacation days to get paid while I'm off. My employer does not pay, which I think sucks. I would pay my employees if it were my business. Especially if it were a business with numerous employees. :)

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 09:08 AM
It really isn't that bad. It's actually interesting. I'm just not gonna use my vacation days to get paid while I'm off. My employer does not pay, which I think sucks. I would pay my employees if it were my business. Especially if it were a business with numerous employees. :)
What a crappy company with faggy employees!!!;)
Thats why I drink Monster!!!:D :D

HOOTER SLED-
05-04-2007, 09:11 AM
What a crappy company with faggy employees!!!;)
Thats why I drink Monster!!!:D :D
You and me both. Shhhhhhh:devil: :D

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 09:15 AM
You and me both. Shhhhhhh:devil: :D
LOL....lets steal some chit and sell it so we can buy some monster and full throttle:D:devil: :jawdrop:
What time are you gonna start drinking sat?:idea:

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 09:28 AM
I'am in the same boat. We have more work right now then we can handle. I have tried the self employed and financial hardship, both did not work. Honestly, to miss one or two days of work right now cannot happen.

pixilatedpussy
05-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I have wrote letters to them telling how it would be a finnancial problem for Geza to go & leave his business. Never have had a problem.;)

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I have wrote letters to them telling how it would be a finnancial problem for Geza to go & leave his business. Never have had a problem.;)
I tried, didn't work.:mad:

pixilatedpussy
05-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Guess your ass is going then....:(

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Guess your ass is going then....:(
I can't go.

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Riverside seems to be a whole ifferent deal than OC....I got my notice stating I am supposed to report in 2 weeks and then it says you can only change/extend your date if you call or write 60 days in advance???:idea: :) :)

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Riverside seems to be a whole ifferent deal than OC....I got my notice stating I am supposed to report in 2 weeks and then it says you can only change/extend your date if you call or write 60 days in advance???:idea: :) :)
Welcome to the I.E.!!!:D :D :D :rolleyes:

pixilatedpussy
05-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Guess Im sticking to OC then!;)

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 09:40 AM
It's cool I live above Ontario:D:jawdrop: :devil:

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Guess Im sticking to OC then!;)
We have Lemon pie in Corona:D:D;)

pixilatedpussy
05-04-2007, 09:42 AM
We have Lemon pie in Corona:D:D;)
HMmmmmm.............:idea: :idea: :idea: Maybe I can visit for the pie!:D

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 09:46 AM
HMmmmmm.............:idea: :idea: :idea: Maybe I can visit for the pie!:D
and then stay for dessert!!!:D :devil: :sqeyes: ;) :crossx:

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 09:47 AM
It's cool I live above Ontario:D:jawdrop: :devil:
That's funny, it reminds me of the last time I went to jury duty. When the judge was asking the general questions, a lady sitting next to me answered just like that. The judge asked what city do you live in??? The lady answered South Corona, South of Ontario. I got the biggest smile on my face and almost busted out laughing. True story!!!:D :D :D

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 09:48 AM
That's funny, it reminds me of the last time I went to jury duty. When the judge was asking the general questions, a lady sitting next to me answered just like that. The judge asked what city do you live in??? The lady answered South Corona, South of Ontario. I got the biggest smile on my face and almost busted out laughing. True story!!!:D :D :D
lol...she probably owns a Rhino:D

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 09:50 AM
lol...she probably owns a Rhino:D
And a ***boat!!!:D :D :D

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 09:52 AM
And a ***boat!!!:D :D :D
Did you ask her if she was a SWINGER????:eek: :D ;)

HokeySon
05-04-2007, 09:56 AM
They have really tightened up in LA and OC since they switched to the one day/ one trial rule (where you show up for a day and if not called for a trial you are done). Not accepting many excuses. And if you do not show, they will send you another -- No response, they issue an order to show cause for you to make a persnal appearance before a judge-- no show still - they can and have issued warrants for arrest.
Do your duty. Its actuallly pretty interesting. You haven't lived until you have seen some blue haired lady try to explain why the guy must be lying 'cuz he looks just like the guy down the street who makes too much noise riding up and down the street his motorcycle scaring her pomeranian. Besides, without you I don't have a job.

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Did you ask her if she was a SWINGER????:eek: :D ;)
She was to HIGH CLASS for my blood.:D :D :D :rolleyes:

Old school Ultra
05-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I always tossed them away until one came registered mail and my mail box guy signed for it. I called and they said I was going to have to pay a fine or go to jail if I didn't go in ASAP, I told them I never received one before, and I couldn't go because I was self employed, They said "TFB".
I then pulled out the kids ride in the afternoon and they said "TFB".
They asked when I was going and I planned it on a holiday week, Actually Thanksgiving because work would be slow, I got there to check in and I was the only fool there.
No trials on holiday weeks at Chatsworth court.....
Sent me home for another year! Time served

Phat Daddy
05-04-2007, 10:07 AM
They have really tightened up in LA and OC since they switched to the one day/ one trial rule (where you show up for a day and if not called for a trial you are done). Not accepting many excuses. And if you do not show, they will send you another -- No response, they issue an order to show cause for you to make a persnal appearance before a judge-- no show still - they can and have issued warrants for arrest.
Do your duty. Its actuallly pretty interesting. You haven't lived until you have seen some blue haired lady try to explain why the guy must be lying 'cuz he looks just like the guy down the street who makes too much noise riding up and down the street his motorcycle scaring her pomeranian. Besides, without you I don't have a job.
I hear what your saying. I have always gone when I've been Summons (thats EVERY year for some reason) and also found it to be interesting. But when you really don't have the time... what can you do???

Cole Trickle
05-04-2007, 10:23 AM
I hear what your saying. I have always gone when I've been Summons (thats EVERY year for some reason) and also found it to be interesting. But when you really don't have the time... what can you do???
Hire 76 to be you for the day and take care of your civial duties!!!:D :devil:
I can't wait until you are brought up on charges for disrupting the court...lol:D:D:sqeyes:

Racey
05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm here to complain about the system, each time i've been cornered into going to jury service i sat in the shittiest most uncomfortable room for EIGHT F'n HOURS, and never moved, never got to see one judge, never did anything but sit there and count the dots on the ceiling, and was compensated ~20 dollars. Why the hell was i called in the first place???? I'd say well over half the people there with me did the EXACT SAME THING AS ME. It would be a different story if you actually got to see a judge or jury selection, something to make it at least a little interesting. but essentially it is a waste of time and money for the state and citizens the way they currently handle it.:mad: :mad:

wsuwrhr
05-04-2007, 10:27 AM
"We have the best legal system money can buy"

Baja Big Dog
05-04-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm here to complain about the system, each time i've been cornered into going to jury service i sat in the shittiest most uncomfortable room for EIGHT F'n HOURS, and never moved, never got to see one judge, never did anything but sit there and count the dots on the ceiling, and was compensated ~20 dollars. Why the hell was i called in the first place???? I'd say well over half the people there with me did the EXACT SAME THING AS ME. It would be a different story if you actually got to see a judge or jury selection, something to make it at least a little interesting. but essentially it is a waste of time and money for the state and citizens the way they currently handle it.:mad: :mad:
MOVE TO MEXICO!!!!

HokeySon
05-04-2007, 11:07 AM
I dunno if it is the best or worst system -- I think the one day / one trial is pretty good, but opinions vary.
Just wanted to let you know what is going on while you are in the room counting the dots on the cieling. Maybe its helps, maybe not.
You got called in because a few days earlier, it was clear a case was going to go to trial. Now, if it is a civil case, this trial is the end of the process for the people involved. For last year or so before this, the parties and their lawyers have been trying to resolve some dispute that they couldn't resolve outside of court. They have probably spent tens of thousands of dollars beating on each other or trying to justify their position to the other side. But, they haven't been able to reolve things.
So the thing is going to trial and they are gonna let 12 people they do not know decide who is right and who is wrong and they are gonna let those 12 people control the outcome in their own lives. Happens for a lot of reasons; maybe one side is stupid or unrealistic, whatever.
So, the judge calls the jury coordinator and he/she calls up a jury for the day of trial. When you arrive in the jury room you have to be given your orientation. The parties and their lawyers are up in the courtroom either arguing some issues or trying still to settle. Things look a lot different to both sides on the morning of a trial than they did a year before, so maybe it can really setttle. The judge is probably leaning on everyone to settle. Everyone knows you are waiting in the jury room and that you do not want to be there. And nobody wants a pissed off jury. Still, if the case settles, you won't have to be there for the whole week or two planned for the trial.
At probably 10;30 or 11:00 am by now and you are bored for sure. The judge has likely made some rulings that once again change how the case looks to each side. The clerk and the jruy coordinator are trying to figure out if the case is going to settle or not. If it is, they might be able to let you go before lunch. If not, they are going to have to bring you back after lunch.
12:00 still no settlement. Judge says "Everyone come back at 1:30 -- and try to settle this thing over the lunch break." Everyone works through lunch trying to settle or prepare. This can go on all day. I once settled a case passing notes back and forth on the table while picking a jury another during trial.
So anyway, there is just a lot going on while you are waiting in the jury room. Everybody appreciates that you are there. We are not trying to waste your time. We are trying to resolve a dispute. It is supposed to be more civilized than allowing people to use duels and stuff to settle their disputes. Whether it is better or worse is open to question. But if you don't take part the system doesn't work at all --- Think about it this way, if you had a dispute would you want your fellow hot boaters to be looking for a way not to have to serve on the jury that is going to resolve your dispute (you might get stuck with a bunch of Jet skiers)?

Racey
05-04-2007, 12:56 PM
It was me and 100 other people sitting there all day for 8 hours, i can understand that they need a pool of jurors to select from, but they sure as hell could do a more efficient job of it, and to waste the day of 100 hard working people is bs

Racey
05-04-2007, 01:05 PM
MOVE TO MEXICO!!!!
Why bother, mexico is moving to us :D

HokeySon
05-04-2007, 01:05 PM
I hear ya. You did you time so you are entitled to bitch about the system -- No doubt. All I can say is thanks for doing your part -- a lot of us depend on it.

YeLLowBoaT
05-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I've been called every year but 2 since I was 18...only once have I not been selected for a case( I've tried all the hes guilty BS and other things... they don't work), I've got to be there on the 21st of this month. I've tried many diffrent ways to get out of it... its not that I am not willing to do my civic duty, its just that they make it very hard to do it. That and they always seem to call me in right after I start a new job.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-04-2007, 03:05 PM
Boy, you guys must have some easier judges than we have in Riverside County. I have seen people have a doctors note that they can't sit for that long. . . judge tells them he will let the person stand whenever he/she wants. I've seen people say they homeschool their kids . . . find a babysitter and school them in the evening or weekends. You own your own business? It's a great country you live in that you can do that, you owe it to do your part. It's a sacrifice we all have to make.
I have gone several times and honestly don't mind it at all, but last time I had to start crying to get out of it. I was unemployed and had my second interview for this job (my dream job in my most desired district) the next day and the judge didn't care and started swearing the jury (with me in it) in. I was like, no friggen way! This man is going to deny me a job to serve on a jury? It's not like I had never served before and was trying to get out of something. So, yes, I pulled the crying card, but they were real tears, I was pretty upset. They let me go. At least until this summer. :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-04-2007, 03:09 PM
I dunno if it is the best or worst system -- I think the one day - one trial is pretty good, but opinions vary.
That one day/one trial thing is thrown out the window once they start questioning the jury. If it takes more than one day to question, you are stuck there until they get a jury picked. Could take several days.

YeLLowBoaT
05-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Boy, you guys must have some easier judges than we have in Riverside County. I have seen people have a doctors note that they can't sit for that long. . . judge tells them he will let the person stand whenever he/she wants. I've seen people say they homeschool their kids . . . find a babysitter and school them in the evening or weekends. You own your own business? It's a great country you live in that you can do that, you owe it to do your part. It's a sacrifice we all have to make.
I have gone several times and honestly don't mind it at all, but last time I had to start crying to get out of it. I was unemployed and had my second interview for this job (my dream job in my most desired district) the next day and the judge didn't care and started swearing the jury (with me in it) in. I was like, no friggen way! This man is going to deny me a job to serve on a jury? It's not like I had never served before and was trying to get out of something. So, yes, I pulled the crying card, but they were real tears, I was pretty upset. They let me go. At least until this summer. :)
sounds like here... 3 days after I turned 18 I had to go it, the fact that I was starting college in 3 days did not get me off the hook. That was by far the worse case I was on... guy went nuts and killed his grandmother, We went strait to a room, while court officals took us home, watched us pack and strait to the hotel.

Summer LuvN
05-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Waste your time? Then don't complain about the system, or come up with a better one.
In a jury trial the JURY makes the decision. The jurors are paid something like $20.00 a day... is that what you mean? The judge (assuming you mean that judge's are bought) doesn't make the decision in a jury trial.. That's an easy statement to say... but whose truth?... ( for instance, if both parties say the opposite, with zero documentation or any other tesitmony or proof, who is right?) and not sure what you mean by bought and sold?... and criminal versus civil? Civil lawsuits are only about money... for the most part (exceptions exist)... Do you mean you pay for a better attorney, so you get what you pay for? or that you think the more money you have the better chance to win?
:idea:
would OJ Simpson be free if he had been a middle class citizen??

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-04-2007, 03:17 PM
would OJ Simpson be free if he had been a middle class citizen??
The reason OJ is free is because of the jury bias. I saw an interview where a woman juror said that her aquitting OJ was payback for all of the times blacks had suffered at the hands of the white man. (paraphrased)

WYRD
05-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Food for thought, you might get away with claiming you never got the summons but what hoops are you going to have to go through to prove your point? My guess is that since its a government agency you will miss far more time off work (ie a warrant for your arrest, subpoena to court, time on the phone, ect.) then if you send in the paperwork with the legit reasons for not being able to serve. Most often if it is a financial hardship they will excuse you.

HYPNAUTIC
05-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Send the Courts a letter stating that you are very excited about fulfilling your duty and would like to be put on a trial. Ask for a trial like some illegal immigrant that was caught tagging or peeing in public. And at the end of the letter ask them if a "public hanging" is to tuff a punishment. Im sure you'll get a pass from jury duty the rest of your life.

RitcheyRch
05-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Will pass this excuse on to my buddy that just received his jury summons.
Send the Courts a letter stating that you are very excited about fulfilling your duty and would like to be put on a trial. Ask for a trial like some illegal immigrant that was caught tagging or peeing in public. And at the end of the letter ask them if a "public hanging" is to tuff a punishment. Im sure you'll get a pass from jury duty the rest of your life.

totenhosen
05-04-2007, 05:03 PM
I see we have some good honest Americans here :rolleyes:

Summer LuvN
05-04-2007, 05:38 PM
The reason OJ is free is because of the jury bias. I saw an interview where a woman juror said that her aquitting OJ was payback for all of the times blacks had suffered at the hands of the white man. (paraphrased)
He who has the best attorney wins. The best attorney cost lots of money. I'm bitter over the court system especially family law. California discriminates against men in divorce/child custody issues. The number of men who have been bent over for picking the wrong one is staggering. My husband and I had to re-mortgage the house. This woman lied through her teeth, no one cared. It is what it is. She can be a piece of shiat and he pays. After mortgaging the house and paying a top dollar attorney, things were finally put into perspective. Do you think she had to pay anything back? NO! The court system sucks!!

C-2
05-04-2007, 10:00 PM
It’s not right in any sense, but it does make you wonder…people who are actually seated on a jury…..
They too stupid to get out?
Perhaps they were looking for some R & R time from their employer?
Some got tired of counting flys on the wall?
Or even some who, after watching Court TV for wayyy too long, are ready to impress other jurors with their mad legal skillz?
And of course, after the week long trial, it’s Friday at about 3:00 p.m… when that silent text message rolls across her Chocolate.... reminding her about Sour Apple Martini hour at Ruth’s Chris… DOH.
Mr. Foreman, I changed my mind, Oh Snap - he’s guilty. Can I go now?
Any jury scares the bejeezuz out of me.:jawdrop:

Mongo
05-04-2007, 10:32 PM
I guess I'm f'd up. As much as I don't want to go, I do. After the OJ trial is there any more proof that we need some of us with some type of common sense and education to be sitting on these trials. I go because as corny as it sounds we are one of the only countries in this world that is judged by our peers. God forbid I go to trial and all I have is a bunch full blow idoits that can't figure out which way is up, let alone my future. I know it is a pain in the a$$, but at least do it one time and make a difference and see how our judical system works in this great country.