PDA

View Full Version : XZ Drive

HPLavey
05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I have an XZ drive and an HP 500. I just had my drive serviced and there where some metal chips on the drain plug. I did'nt see the chips, but as I started to hesitate about replacing the lower gears the chips got bigger. My question is if there are some chips on a gear or gears is the drive going to blow up right away or can I just monitor the drive lube in the next 5 to10 hours and see whats happening. any opinion would be appreciated.

DMOORE
05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
If you are starting to see chips and they are getting bigger, It's time to have it rebuilt. Better safe than sorry. In the long run it will cost much less to have it rebuilt now, instead of AFTER it blows. It would not be worth the safty on my family, friends and myself to just HOPE it won't blow.
Darrell.

bohica
05-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Just blew my drive up last weekend, 15 hours since last service. The upper gears broke and took the housing with it. Ended up buying a brand new XR drive instead of just getting a reman. upper. Expensive weekend.:mad:

99fever27
05-04-2007, 03:34 PM
metal "chips" or fuzz? If you are seeing it then your bearings are seeing it too.

Beer-30
05-04-2007, 03:48 PM
If you want to run it, do so and then check the upper "vent" plug toward the top of the gearcase. It has a magnet also. You would have to hold your finger over the hole after you take it out. Heavier chunks would probably fall to the bottom before sticking to the upper plug, but if the upper gears or bearing were going I would think there would be some chunks up there.

HPLavey
05-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Just blew my drive up last weekend, 15 hours since last service. The upper gears broke and took the housing with it. Ended up buying a brand new XR drive instead of just getting a reman. upper. Expensive weekend.:mad:
Sorry to here that:(
Did you have any chips in your drive when it was serviced

HPLavey
05-04-2007, 04:15 PM
If you want to run it, do so and then check the upper "vent" plug toward the top of the gearcase. It has a magnet also. You would have to hold your finger over the hole after you take it out. Heavier chunks would probably fall to the bottom before sticking to the upper plug, but if the upper gears or bearing were going I would think there would be some chunks up there.
I was told the upper gears looked OK. I would have really liked to have seen the chips. I ran my boat last weekend with no problem. I think I will run it one more time and then pull the lower plug and see if there any shavings. If there are I will definetly have it serviced.

HPLavey
05-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I forgot to add, not that its funny, but everytime something breaks we always say if it did'nt break ya did'nt have fun. It kinda makes us feel a little better when your really pisted off;)