PDA

View Full Version : Kent State

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-04-2007, 06:56 PM
37 years ago today :(
Yesterday I told my students that the first person in each class period to come in and tell me what "Kent State" meant, I'd give him or her a prize. It was pretty cool to see how proud they were to tell me that they knew today. I'm creating little history freaks :D (insert evil laugh here).

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-04-2007, 07:02 PM
it's amazing what kids know about these days.. Good for them. :)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-04-2007, 07:05 PM
it's amazing what kids know about these days.. Good for them. :)
LOL, they didn't know until they went home and looked it up on the internet after I challenged them. I'm more amazed by what they don't know. Only 1/2 had ever heard of Vietnam. I grew up with the word, my dad is a vet.
But at least a handful of them will know now.

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-04-2007, 07:09 PM
LOL, they didn't know until they went home and looked it up on the internet after I challenged them. I'm more amazed by what they don't know. Only 1/2 had ever heard of Vietnam. I grew up with the word, my dad is a vet.
:) LOL!! well at least they did it. good for them it seems when they have insentive they do alot more.:D

Screaming Pete
05-04-2007, 07:35 PM
damm MMSW i knew there was something over the top sexy about you ..........Mrs. Wood could you keep me after school today:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-04-2007, 07:41 PM
So, you're the "School Marm" out there in the country. :idea:
School marm. :D That's me!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-04-2007, 07:46 PM
damm MMSW i knew there was something over the top sexy about you ..........Mrs. Wood could you keep me after school today:D
Have you been a bad boy? http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif

My Man's Sportin' Wood
05-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I failed to mention that. Damm! That could have been a great "don't do drugs" message right there! Missed opportunities (tsk).

shueman
05-05-2007, 03:32 AM
My son has been out in the garage playin' "4 Dead in Ohio" over and over, singin' the words, fine tuning the leads.... eerie to hear that when you lived through it...:eek: Yea, he's a Niel Young junkie also... :cool:

LuckyStrike
05-05-2007, 05:10 AM
My Families Paving Co. was doing the paving around the campus that week.
My cousin still has one of the Gallion rollers that had Several Bullet Holes in it.
I remember my old man was a wreck. Had a complete paving crew caught right in the middle. No one hurt except for the guy that was on the roller that got hit. He got hit by lightning on the same job about a week or so later. And Survived..

shadow
05-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Shadow was born in Ohio and was 6yrs old,
My mom was single with 3 boys working here ass off trying to support 3 boys ,My older brothers were supposed to be watching me and i was running a muck around Kent State University mingling with all the hippies that were protesting/camping out tents everywhere.
I was just a younin and i remember the National Guard standing post by the
Big Kent State University sign on the corner with a military tank and soldiers all over,The local store fronts were all boarded up.
Funny how sometime i mention Kent State to people my age and they've never heard of it or remember,I don't remember all the politics at the time but i have pictures of
scenes i'll never forget.

Troubles No More
05-05-2007, 06:15 AM
I was in high school when this was going down, It was a very sad and confusing time and I hope we do not repeat this again in this country.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Filo1sm.jpg
" You know, you see these bums, you know, blowin' up the campuses. Listen, the boys that are on the college campuses today are the luckiest people in the world, going to the greatest universities, and here they are, burnin' up the books, I mean, stormin' around about this issue, I mean, you name it - get rid of the war, there'll be another one"------ Richard Nixon, New York Times, May 2, 1970
KENT STATE UNIVERSITY
On April 30th, President Nixon announced on national television that a massive American-South Vietnamese troop offensive into Cambodia was in progress. "We take these actions," Nixon said, "not for the purpose of expanding the war into Cambodia, but for the purpose of ending the war in Vietnam, and winning the just peace we all desire."
These were familiar words to a war-weary public. Some felt that this decision was essential for attaining a "just peace" and sustaining America's credibility in the world. Yet others, particularly students, believed that this action represented an escalation of the war and a return to ex-President Johnson's earlier hopes for a military victory. As the fires from the artillery began to burn in Cambodia, a raging fire of protest spread across the United States.
April 30 President Nixon announces the invasion of Cambodia, triggering massive protests on many of the nation's campuses.
May 2 Ohio National Guardsmen are sent to Kent State after the University's Army R.O.T.C. building is burned down.
May 3 Ohio Governor James A. Rhodes personally appears on campus and promises to use "every force possible" to maintain order. Rhodes denounces the protesters as worse than brownshirts and vows to keep the Guard in Kent "until we get rid of them."
May 4 Four students are killed and nine others are wounded when a contingent of Guardsmen suddenly opens fire during a noontime demonstration.
July 23 Key portions of a secret Justice Department memo are disclosed by the Akron Beacon Journal. The memorandum describes the shootings as unnecessary and urges the Portage County Prosecutor to file criminal charges against six Guardsmen.
July 31 Attorney General John Mitchell says that both students and Guardsmen apparently violated federal laws and hints that a federal grand jury may be convened "if Ohio authorities do not act."
August 3 After consulting with top Guard officials, Governor Rhodes orders that a "special" state grand jury be empaneled.
October 4 The President's Commission on Campus Unrest concludes: "The actions of some students were violent and criminal and some others were dangerous, reckless, and irresponsible." The shootings are branded as "unnecessary, unwarranted, and inexcusable."
October 16 The "special" state grand jury exonerates the Guardsmen, but indicts 25 individuals, mostly students, for a variety of offenses that occurred on campus before the shootings.
Late October-November Demands for a federal grand jury mount after it is revealed that the "special" state grand jury ignored key evidence and that one of the "special" prosecutors told a newsman he felt the Guardsmen should have shot more students.
November 30 Assistant Attorney General Jerris Leonard confirms that the Justice Department is reviewing the evidence to determine if a federal grand jury should be convened. Leonard promises a decision before the year is over.

Sportin' Wood
05-05-2007, 06:50 AM
MMSW's Uncle Jim was a student at Kent state during this time.

Troubles No More
05-05-2007, 01:45 PM
MMSW's Uncle Jim was a student at Kent state during this time.
I’m pleased he got out of there alive, as a say that, I remind myself it was on our collage campus that all of this took place. Sad times

2forcefull
05-05-2007, 03:15 PM
OHIO
words and music by
NIEL YOUNG
Am C G
Tin soldiers and Nix-on com-ing
Am C G
we're fin-al-ly on our own.
Am C G
this sum-mer I hear the drum-ming
Am C G
Four dead in O-hi-o
Dm7
got-ta get down to it,
G
Sol-diers are gun-ning us down;
Dm7
should- a been done long a-go
Dm7
What if you knew her and
G
found her dead on the ground;
Dm7 G
how can you run when you know???
Am C G
FOUR DEAD IN O-HI-O

2forcefull
05-05-2007, 04:14 PM
37 years ago today :(
Yesterday I told my students that the first person in each class period to come in and tell me what "Kent State" meant, I'd give him or her a prize. It was pretty cool to see how proud they were to tell me that they knew today. I'm creating little history freaks :D (insert evil laugh here).
so anyway what does KENT STATE mean???

Troubles No More
05-05-2007, 04:23 PM
OHIO
words and music by
NIEL YOUNG
Am C G
Tin soldiers and Nix-on com-ing
Am C G
we're fin-al-ly on our own.
Am C G
this sum-mer I hear the drum-ming
Am C G
Four dead in O-hi-o
Dm7
got-ta get down to it,
G
Sol-diers are gun-ning us down;
Dm7
should- a been done long a-go
Dm7
What if you knew her and
G
found her dead on the ground;
Dm7 G
how can you run when you know???
Am C G
FOUR DEAD IN O-HI-O
While it may be a common adage with the study of history to coin the phrase, “lets hope history does not repeat itself”
One could only hope that history does repeat itself this time around with this war.

Screemy1
05-05-2007, 06:57 PM
yeah... I am at a high school.... the internet has kind of dumbed down the youth.... in a way.... most of them have know idea how to research anything without the internet... and most will look up stuff but not remeber it weeks later because they skim through the info on a site... get answer and move on. When you read a full article... you learn more and remeber it and then start banking knowledge.... the future is going to hold few wise people with a broad amount of general knowledge....

boatsnblondes
05-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Well, as the son af an english teacher and a history teacher, and being a history buff myself, good for you. My family owns and operates one of the most prominent private schools in North OC, and we LOVE little history buffs, let me tell you....good for you teach.....:D :D :D :D