PDA

View Full Version : ? for the Ski Race/Marathon boaters

sawtooth
05-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Since I am completly re doing my 21' RC I am about 99% sure that I am going to put in a ballest tank up front. Here is my question, how big is your tank (gallons) if you run one and what do you use for a fill, a pick up off the plate/bottom of boat or do you have a valve that deverts the exit water from motor into the tank. Also how big of a pump do you put in them to dump quick, like a 800 or 1000 with a -16 line. Thanks guys for the help.
Chris.

msmeads1
05-05-2007, 08:47 AM
I have one on my boat.
It gives you flexibility based upon the water conditions. Ruff, fill it up and let the bow do the work. smooth, let the water out and raise the plate and hang on.
As far as the number of gallons and your other questions, I do not know. Call Stan at Schiada and he should be able to tell you.

brad22
05-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Since I am completely re doing my 21' RC I am about 99% sure that I am going to put in a ballast tank up front. Here is my question, how big is your tank (gallons) if you run one and what do you use for a fill, a pick up off the plate/bottom of boat or do you have a valve that diverts the exit water from motor into the tank. Also how big of a pump do you put in them to dump quick, like a 800 or 1000 with a -16 line. Thanks guys for the help.
Chris.
Depending on the access and how you are going to secure it in the bow of your boat you will need a min. of 30 gallons (approx. 290lbs) (bigger is always better) to be effective.
Don't forget that whatever weight you put up in the bow of the boat is going to be trying to pound its way thru your hull, you might need to reinforce that area depending on your hulls construction.
One of the best ways is to use a water exit line from the engine/oil cooler with an electric switch valve. That lets the water into the tank and also allows you to bypass the tank overboard thru an outlet.
You can use a "Water Puppy" continuous use electric pump to dump the water quickly (which is only about 6-7 gallons per minute) with 1" outlet.
Hope that helps,
Brad :)
ps: if you have ay further questions feel free to call my Dad; Jim at ACE Marine he would be glad to help you out.

HighVoltage 329
05-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Depending on the access and how you are going to secure it in the bow of your boat you will need a min. of 30 gallons (approx. 290lbs) (bigger is always better) to be effective.
Don't forget that whatever weight you put up in the bow of the boat is going to be trying to pound its way thru your hull, you might need to reinforce that area depending on your hulls construction.
One of the best ways is to use a water exit line from the engine/oil cooler with an electric switch valve. That lets the water into the tank and also allows you to bypass the tank overboard thru an outlet.
You can use a "Water Puppy" continuous use electric pump to dump the water quickly (which is only about 6-7 gallons per minute) with 1" outlet.
Hope that helps,
Brad :)
ps: if you have ay further questions feel free to call my Dad; Jim at ACE Marine he would be glad to help you out.
You will also need an overflow that exits the boat. When racing its easy to forget to turn the fill valve off.
In my boat it helps with control to have some weight in the front. It's not just for the skiers!

05schiada
05-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Schiada runs usually between a 30-45 gallon tank in front of the main bulkhead and between the main stringers. Mine has an added stringer for height to create more volume and extends forward about 36" from the bulkhead. Not posssitive on that # I can check if needed.
As far as feeding it with water mine is diverted from the exit line of the intercooler with a valve. Also you need to have a vent for the tank or else they can burst at high speed.
I have a 1000gph bilge in mine and it works fine. I have heard of some ski race boat using two pumps to get the water out faster.

sawtooth
05-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the info guys, the boat is striped completly, removed the sub floors to replace the rotton stringers so it is not a problem as far as retro fitting something in front of the new bulkhead. 05Schiada that is what I was thinking was about 30-40 gallons, I had planed on putting 3 bungs in the tank 1 for filling one for vent/overflow and 1 for dump/pumping out and a inspection panel for access to the pump. I was thinking about something like the Rule 1000 bilge pump, I don't think I will need 2 pumps the boat is just for fun at the lake and I won't need to get the nose up that fast to get into the lead......or will I :D. Most I have seen the dump and vent is in the side of the boat up by the driver so you can see when it is full or empty. Should there be baffles inside the tank like a fuel tank ? Thanks again Boys.

brad22
05-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Should there be baffles inside the tank like a fuel tank ? Thanks again Boys.
Yes it should definetly be built like a fuel tank. I would recommend a external pump with a pickup tube in the tank just like a fuel tank. I also neglected to add the must of a overflow (thanks Bob).
Sounds like a nice ski boat your restoring, have fun with it!!

Boat211
05-08-2007, 09:17 PM
One more thing, make sure that the overflow is as big or bigger than the fill line.