PDA

View Full Version : Paging John West

holorinhal
05-05-2007, 12:18 PM
John(or any one Who can help)I am replacing stringers in My 18"Kona and am having a hell of a time finding Kiln dried Douglas firin a 2x6 here in Las Vegas.I have purchased two sets of green fir2x6's ,let them setout to dry and both sets have split and warped.
I was wandering if You could suggest a place to find dry doug fir or what Your company uses.
I can find a 1x6 kiln drid clear doug fir.What are Your thoughts on a !x6 stringer in a Vhull .I see sone boats with them.Is a 1x6 stron enough?
Also what are Your thoughts on using Hardwood as stringers,like Red Oak? I have had some people say tah hadr wood is too stiff and would jump right out of the boat.I find that kinda funny,but what do I know..Thanks for any help...Hal

shockwavebd
05-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't know if you have these in vagas........."Ganahl lumber"
You should be able to order with them

ULTRA28
05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
We use 1x6 in the 19 shadow. Hardwood will not be a problem at all. Stringers should not flex. They need to be stiff. We use micro lams, but if looks are what you are going for they obviousley won't work for you.

holorinhal
05-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I tell you its a real bummer.I can use the hard wood and i cant even find a hard wood that i can use.
I hae done a lot of research and found that oak will work but it has to be white oak,Not red oak becouse red oak is not moisture and rot resitaant and poplar isnt rot resitant.what does the hardwood suplier here stock,RED OAK AND POPLAR.any place that can order any thing wont order only two pcs it has to be bulk like 1000 feet.
i dont know im at my wits end... Hal

holorinhal
10-14-2007, 08:37 PM
What type of hard wood do You guys use ,for stringers,at Ultra?...Hal