PDA

View Full Version : sealing transom plates

BrendellaJet
05-07-2007, 02:38 PM
When I set my pump back it rendered my stock T/A useless. I made up a set of plates and need to seal them. What are you guys using to seal them with? Do you run the T/A gasket between the boat & the plates?
thanks!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-07-2007, 04:53 PM
bolt the plates up and see where it needs to be sealed. Then tape off everything that does NOT need silicone. I use marine grade clear silicone. If you use tape, you can control the silicone and it will look clean! Thats the ONLY way I do it;) I have seen too many clean boats with a poor azz silicone job :yuk:
Post some pics of the ride! I know its damn near done;)

BrendellaJet
05-07-2007, 07:23 PM
bolt the plates up and see where it needs to be sealed. Then tape off everything that does NOT need silicone. I use marine grade clear silicone. If you use tape, you can control the silicone and it will look clean! Thats the ONLY way I do it;) I have seen too many clean boats with a poor azz silicone job :yuk:
Post some pics of the ride! I know its damn near done;)
Sounds good, thanks for the tip on the tape-I will do that.
As far as pix go, it will be a few days, my freakin digi cam committed suicide and Ive got all my money going to Rex marine right now.

RCB19
05-07-2007, 07:34 PM
Sillycone. A window glazer tought me a trick to create a super clean bead. WINDEX! Scrape off the excess silicone with your fingers then generously shoot some Windex on the bead and your fingers and then start smoothing. You will end up with a super clean and smooth bead. You will see what im talking about once you start doing it.

BrendellaJet
05-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the tip, ill make sure I have plenty of windex!