PDA

View Full Version : Difference In Jets?

tttooopppggguuunnn
05-07-2007, 09:07 PM
hey guys im new to this and am trying to find a good boat now.....can you guys tell me a little bit about the different jets berkely, panther,etc..... what an a-b impeller is and all that good stuff.... thanks in advance for the help:D

IMPATIENT 1
05-07-2007, 09:26 PM
hey guys im new to this and am trying to find a good boat now.....can you guys tell me a little bit about the different jets berkely, panther,etc..... what an a-b impeller is and all that good stuff.... thanks in advance for the help:D
stay away from panther and jacuzzi pumps and you'll be ok. berkleley, dominator,aggressor, american turbine are the pumps of choice, just more mods available and better designed than the panther and jacuzzi.
a ab cut impellors is a cut down a impellor.a-cut impellors are good for skiing,tubing or any thing you might need alot of take off power. a ab-cut impellor will still pull a skier and will make the rpms slightly higher than a a-cut.

killerbeez
05-08-2007, 04:38 AM
He is right about the panther and jacuzzi.They are not tthat bad though.If you are looking for a cruiser,you will be fine with either.If your looking for hard core performance out of a jet then do not go with the panther or jacuzzi.There is a shop that makes upgrade kits for both of these pumps though so you should not worry about it too much.For the panther,there is a mod where they made a Dominator conversion for it and the jacuzzi,they have an energizer kit which basically gives you the choice to use a,ab and any other impeller they use on berks and dominators.
Jet boats with panthers and jacuzzi pumps seem to be harder to sell since everyone wants a berk or AT or dominator and thus are usually cheaper,so you could save yourself some money and just do an upgrade kit on either pump,not that big of deal.I have a 21' open bow with a panther and it does just fine,its a cruiser and thats what I bought it for.The person who owned it before me had the bowl cut and a berk nozzle mounted to it so it is one of the few panther pumps with a place diverter on it.I guess my pump would be a Banther or a Perkley since it is half and half.;)

tttooopppggguuunnn
05-08-2007, 02:22 PM
haha awesome...yeah there are just so many for sale im trying to get my facts straight and make a good decision....any telltale signs or things i should look out for when im buying a boat? checks etc?
thanks again guys:D

BrendellaJet
05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
1. Go for a test drive! Check oil while motor is hot. Make sure it is clean, not milky.
2. Test all of the systems on the boat, lights,radio, gauges. If they are not working, consider them dead. If he tells you "That gauge just needs to be hooked up", ask him to hook it up so you can see it work. before you buy.
3. Try to inspect the trailer before he puts the boat back on. Look at the bunks and try to assess their condition, does the trailer look used up?
4. Inspect hull for cosmetic & structural cracks. Get under the boat to look for structural cracks. If you see any on the bottom, walk away or negotiate a steep discount, its not cheap to fix.
5. Check compression on the engine.
6. ask for receipts to "recent work". People selling boats are infamous for saying things like "the last owner had the engine/pump rebuilt last season", If he doesn't have receipts, consider it a lie.
7. Boats shouldn't leak a lot of water. If the bilge gets full quick, there is a potential problem, hopefully the bilge pump works.
Dont bring cash with you to purchase a boat. Go check it out. Go with your gut. There are a lot of nice boats out there for cheap, bring home something nice, not a project.
There is a lot more, but thats a start.