PDA

View Full Version : Mercrusier or Volvo-Penta???

caroftheweek
05-08-2007, 07:21 AM
We are considering these engine options in our new boat purchase. the Merc would be a 350 Mag/MPI with a bravo III or the Volvo 5.7 GXI with the Duoprop. The Volvo has 20 more HP:rolleyes: but their Duoprop set up is said to be better than the Bravo III.
I am curious about resale? would either of these matter to you if you were purchasing this boat used? Warranty's are the same and the the Volvo is actually ~$1500 more than the Merc. Incase is matters, the boat is a 25' Bennington pontoon.
Thanks for the input.
Ryan

scarabrick2
05-08-2007, 07:26 AM
For a toon boat I would do the merc.
Volvo parts are expensive.
Price out the props for each.
merc are cheaper

phebus
05-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Consider where you will be boating, and then look at the certified repair facilities, and the availability of parts. I believe the Volvo has a better drive system, but here in Havasu there weren't many repair facilities, and when I talked to several repair facilities (Alco is a Volvo certified facility), they talked me into staying with Mercury.

yopengo
05-08-2007, 07:27 AM
I vote Merc/ Bravo. I am looking for a JC with this combo also.

caroftheweek
05-08-2007, 07:30 AM
slightly off topic, but is Absolute Marine still around? I have not heard anything about them lately.
I see the Merc trend that i thought i would:) :)

phebus
05-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Absolute is still around, and going strong.:D

sleekcraft80
05-08-2007, 07:32 AM
You would probably be better off with the merc/bravo. When I bought my boat it had a 280 AQ which is an older model Volvo and it has been insanely expensive for parts. To give you an idea, I priced a new starter at $600

caroftheweek
05-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Absolute is still around, and going strong.:D
Good good. They are an authorized Bennington warranty service center.

phebus
05-08-2007, 07:35 AM
I agree that if you throw the two choices up here on ***boat, the response will be overwhelming for Mercury, as they control the high performance market in comparison to Volvo-Penta.
My suggestion is to call around to the repair facilities in the area you will be doing the majority of your boating, and get their opinions.
Also, consider where you might be taking the boat. If you go to Powell, and on the first day of your trip require a part, will your trip be ruined due to lack of availability?

phebus
05-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Good good. They are an authorized Bennington warranty service center.
I'm sure the Boat Brokers is also.

caroftheweek
05-08-2007, 07:38 AM
You would probably be better off with the merc/bravo. When I bought my boat it had a 280 AQ which is an older model Volvo and it has been insanely expensive for parts. To give you an idea, I priced a new starter at $600
Really?!?!?!
I am looking at another used Eliminator with a 290. it needs new hydraulic rams or whatever keeps the drive up while out of the water. the drive will ease down over time. Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind.

caroftheweek
05-08-2007, 07:40 AM
I agree that if you throw the two choices up here on ***boat, the response will be overwhelming for Mercury, as they control the high performance market in comparison to Volvo-Penta.
My suggestion is to call around to the repair facilities in the area you will be doing the majority of your boating, and get their opinions.
Also, consider where you might be taking the boat. If you go to Powell, and on the first day of your trip require a part, will your trip be ruined due to lack of availability?
The magic never left havasu in 4 years and the Eliminator never left havasu in 13 years. it is safe to say that we only boat on havasu. it takes too much of an effort to get the boat out of where we stay--Havasu Palms

2Driver
05-08-2007, 07:42 AM
I vote Merc/ Bravo. I am looking for a JC with this combo also.
There is a nice deal in trader on a 24' JC with a 350 mag bravo III. It is in the Midwest. I posted it last week. If I was in buying mode I would go get it.
We bought a Chaparral last year and it happened to have a Volvo outdrive . I have always had Merc's and would have chosen to re-buy a Merc but this was available so I bought it. Anyway, I have to say it sure shifts and performs way better than any other Merc I have had. It's been easy to get service over here as well. I think Merc works for resale simply because people think of them as the "gold standard".

sleekcraft80
05-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Really?!?!?!
I am looking at another used Eliminator with a 290. it needs new hydraulic rams or whatever keeps the drive up while out of the water. the drive will ease down over time. Thanks for the info. I will keep that in mind.
I am slowly eliminating the Volvo parts on the engine and buying just the coast guard approved parts, which ever is the most inexpensive. But I am still stuck with the Volvo outdrive itself and getting the props you want is getting harder to find unless you have them custom made

Havasu Hangin'
05-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Really?!?!?!
The 280 was a trimless drive (unless you got a 280T), and the 290 was the first "trimable" VP drive. In addition to the seals in the rams, there are check valves in the 290 pump which can leak, causing the drive to lower over time. Neither are very expensive to fix.
The 280 and 290 are the same drive- very tough and very hard to break. The only known issues were the propshaft seals- if you get fishing line wrapped around them, the seals would go out, water gets in, and the drive can go south quickly. Also, they don't like to be shifted above 900 RPMs.
IMO, the Volvos are much tougher drives than the Mercs (apples to apples- excluding the Bravo XR). The downside is that Swedish parts can be expensive, and there are less shops that are factory support than Mercs.
The other thing to take into consideration is that there are almost no "hot rod" parts for the VP drives, so external steering, drive showers, etc. all have to be fabricated. Both Merc and VP engines are based on GM stuff, so almost all that stuff is interchangeable.

Cole Trickle
05-08-2007, 07:58 AM
I would go with the fastest combo!!!:D;)

sleekcraft80
05-08-2007, 08:01 AM
The 280 was a trimless drive (unless you got a 280T), and the 290 was the first "trimable" VP drive. In addition to the seals in the rams, there are check valves in the 290 pump which can leak, causing the drive to lower over time. Neither are very expensive to fix.
The 280 and 290 are the same drive- very tough and very hard to break. The only known issues were the propshaft seals- if you get fishing line wrapped around them, the seals would go out, water gets in, and the drive can go south quickly. Also, they don't like to be shifted above 900 RPMs.
IMO, the Volvos are much tougher drives than the Mercs (apples to apples- excluding the Bravo XR). The downside is that Swedish parts can be expensive, and there are less shops that are factory support than Mercs.
The other thing to take into consideration is that there are almost no "hot rod" parts for the VP drives, so external steering, drive showers, etc. all have to be fabricated. Both Merc and VP engines are based on GM stuff, so almost all that stuff is interchangeable.
I was told that mine was a 280 seeing that the nameplate was missing. It has the two hydraulic cylinders on the back

Chase
05-08-2007, 08:04 AM
I am probably not going to be much help here....but if I could do things over again, I think I would go for a Merc..
I am currently running a Volvo SX drive....everything works great, and a close friend of mine who has run mercs all of his life always comments on how quite my drive is, how quiet and easy it shifts in and out of gear, as well as into reverse......
The engine I am running is a GM 305 Vortec....which I love. It is strong, reliable, easy starting, easy maintenance...no complaints so as far as the engine being Volvo..NOT!!!
HOWEVER
There are no performance parts available for this engine/drive. Which I am still wondering..it is a Chev engine...there has to be performance parts out there that would work, just that I am not a maring mechanic..so I am not touching anything.

Havasu Hangin'
05-08-2007, 08:06 AM
I was told that mine was a 280 seeing that the nameplate was missing. It has the two hydraulic cylinders on the back
That's the "280T"..."T" meaning "Trim". The regular 280 has a small worm motor that pushes down on an arm to raise the drive. When lowered, it had some hooks that engaged (reverse lockout) to keep the drive in place when backing.
Those 280's are very tough. Keep good oil in it, an it'll last forever.

Chase
05-08-2007, 08:07 AM
OH..looking at this pic, it looks like the old style drive where there is limited trim on it..either all the way up or all the way down... MAYBE??:idea:
I will say Volvo drives have come a long way since these..

Havasu Hangin'
05-08-2007, 08:10 AM
There are no performance parts available for this engine/drive. Which I am still wondering..it is a Chev engine...there has to be performance parts out there that would work, just that I am not a maring mechanic..so I am not touching anything.
The engine is based on a GM block- the only thing proprietary would be fuel injection. Otherwise, cams, heads, exhaust, all are the same as Merc GM stuff.
I hot-rodded my old Volvo small block. I ended up getting over 450HP out of it...and it didn't even look like a Volvo when I was done...lol.

OCMerrill
05-08-2007, 08:10 AM
My father had about 350 HP in front of a 280 drive that was a late 70's vintage. Years and years of use and never an issue. This drive was Non Trimable.
He recently re powered his boat with a 454 and a Volvo Duo Prop package from around the 1990 era or so and loves it.
He has a very ass heavy Caribbean 24' daycrusier and that Duo Prop created a different boat. Dramatic difference.
His only bitch was the stainless prop set cost bucks and they (props) are a mail order dealeao.
Nothing much local for off the shelf stuff.

phebus
05-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Oh yeah, pontoons suck. :D

HocusPocus
05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
We are considering these engine options in our new boat purchase. the Merc would be a 350 Mag/MPI with a bravo III or the Volvo 5.7 GXI with the Duoprop. The Volvo has 20 more HP:rolleyes: but their Duoprop set up is said to be better than the Bravo III.
I am curious about resale? would either of these matter to you if you were purchasing this boat used? Warranty's are the same and the the Volvo is actually ~$1500 more than the Merc. Incase is matters, the boat is a 25' Bennington pontoon.
Thanks for the input.
Ryan
if i was buying new i would go with the merc setup but if i was buying it used then it wouldn't matter if it was merc or volvo-penta as long as it was stock factory power.

Havasu Hangin'
05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
My father had about 350 HP in front of a 280 drive that was a late 70's vintage. Years and years of use and never an issue. This drive was Non Trimable.
Those old 280's were used on offshore race boats and saltwater fishing boats of that era. My old Volvo mechanic used to tell me that the drives last forever...he only replaced them when they were corroded so bad the casing was suspect.
The only downside to using a 280T or 290 is getting parts. I used to find my stuff at boneyards.

ratso
05-08-2007, 08:16 AM
It's all good stuff. Look at your servicing dealer and parts availability. ;)

Dave C
05-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Merc f-ing sucks.... the only thing Merc have going for them is an extensive parts and service network, which is extremely important to most people.
I heard that Volvo is more popular in the East than out West?

sleekcraft80
05-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Will the broken skeg be an issue if I put 500+ horsepower in the boat?

Havasu Hangin'
05-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Will the broken skeg be an issue if I put 500+ horsepower in the boat?
Should be a problem unless it's bent. However, that is really not that hard of a fix- I think I had mine re-welded on for around $100. That's probably low enough so that the heat from the welding won't hurt the seals (in other words, no need to take the drive apart).

caroftheweek
05-08-2007, 08:45 AM
There is a nice deal in trader on a 24' JC with a 350 mag bravo III. It is in the Midwest. I posted it last week. If I was in buying mode I would go get it.
We bought a Chaparral last year and it happened to have a Volvo outdrive . I have always had Merc's and would have chosen to re-buy a Merc but this was available so I bought it. Anyway, I have to say it sure shifts and performs way better than any other Merc I have had. It's been easy to get service over here as well. I think Merc works for resale simply because people think of them as the "gold standard".
i have heard the same about the VP shifting and performing quieter than the merc. i was also told that the VP is way easier perform maintanence on than the merc. They have come a long way since the 80's

caroftheweek
05-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh yeah, pontoons suck. :D
Welcome to the Toona Crew:D

caroftheweek
05-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I would go with the fastest combo!!!:D;)
the Volvo it is....

sleekcraft80
05-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Should be a problem unless it's bent. However, that is really not that hard of a fix- I think I had mine re-welded on for around $100. That's probably low enough so that the heat from the welding won't hurt the seals (in other words, no need to take the drive apart).
Does anybody make a SS skeg protector for these outdrives

Havasu Hangin'
05-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Does anybody make a SS skeg protector for these outdrives
Yes...you just have to remove the loose nut on the steering wheel.
:jawdrop:

Dave C
05-08-2007, 08:56 AM
there is a reason Merc is cheaper.... cuz they suck.... ;) ;)
We the consumer really don't have much of a choice! We can choose from bad or worse :( :(
Now what if Volvo is more expensive but one has to service it less than the cheaper Merc parts then the overall cost of ownership of the Volvo may not necessarily be more expensive in the long run. But there are so few Volvo's around here who knows????:confused:
Most Volvo's around here are on offshore type fishing boats. Those guys have good things to say about them.
I think Merc is the choice for the performance boater because of the after-market parts availability but Volvo is the choice for everything else.
Hows that Marine Power treating you?
We just ordered our new boat with Marine Power.
Merc's heart just isn't in small block customer service.
BTW, Volvo has to put you to sleep to hand you the bill for parts.
DuoProps are nice until you have issues.
They will be expensive issues.

Dave C
05-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Don't you mean behind the wheel? ;)

Havasu1
05-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Usually, I would say go with the Merc. However, with production deck boats (chaparral, four winns.....) and higher horse power pontoons, Volvos are more the norm than the exception. Also, many used boats with Volvo's tend to come with long term warranties. Many people do not buy the long term warranty with a Merc becasue they can be pricey. I have a few friends with Volvo's and they have performed flawlessly. One friend in particular has a 26ft. Four Winns that he puts about 250 hours a season on it and he is going into his fifth season with the boat. He has a five year warranty on the motor and outdirve. He had a few problems that were covered under warranty. Outside of that, it has been a steller performer. FYI, I believe he had the service done by Cambels in Havasu.
Onces you get into the higher performance deck boats (Conquest, Magic...etc), most people tend to go with Merc due to the fact they have more high HP options.

sleekcraft80
05-08-2007, 09:02 AM
What I meant was that if they made a protector for the outdrive, I could put that on to cover up that embarrasing break that came with the boat when I bought it. I don't know of a place in my area that would repair this problem

caroftheweek
05-08-2007, 09:10 AM
So let me pose this question...
Would you pay ~$1500 more for the VP?:sqeyes:

Trailer Park Casanova
05-08-2007, 09:15 AM
there is a reason Merc is cheaper.... cuz they suck.... ;) ;)
Hows that Marine Power treating you?
I stand corrected on that,, Tige no longer runs Marine Power, the 08's now have a proprietary Tige' 400 Hp small block & drive.
We'll know in August how it is when the boat is delivered.

Baja Big Dog
05-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I am probably not going to be much help here....but if I could do things over again, I think I would go for a Merc..
I am currently running a Volvo SX drive....everything works great, and a close friend of mine who has run mercs all of his life always comments on how quite my drive is, how quiet and easy it shifts in and out of gear, as well as into reverse......
The engine I am running is a GM 305 Vortec....which I love. It is strong, reliable, easy starting, easy maintenance...no complaints so as far as the engine being Volvo..NOT!!!
HOWEVER
How fast do want a 305 to go?:jawdrop:

Havasu Hangin'
05-08-2007, 09:21 AM
What I meant was that if they made a protector for the outdrive, I could put that on to cover up that embarrasing break that came with the boat when I bought it. I don't know of a place in my area that would repair this problem
Anyone that is decent at welding aluminum could do it. Put a post up- I bet someone on here has been down that road in your area- maybe you could get a reference.

boat boy
05-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Own a 27' Victory with a DPX Volvo Outdrive with 500 HP. Outdrive is bullet proof, consider that everytime merc. sales a dual outdrive, they pay royalities to Volvo for the design.

sleekcraft80
05-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Now that I'm out the truth about the Volvo outdrives maybe down the road I will put some serious horsepower to it. Would I have to maybe have some billet shafts and gears made for it or will the stock innards work?

SummitKarl
05-08-2007, 10:12 PM
That's the "280T"..."T" meaning "Trim". The regular 280 has a small worm motor that pushes down on an arm to raise the drive. When lowered, it had some hooks that engaged (reverse lockout) to keep the drive in place when backing.
Those 280's are very tough. Keep good oil in it, an it'll last forever.
here, here on the older Volvo 280T-AQ..
it is not a peformance drive by any means but it most likely one of the toughest drives out there, and maintance is a snap compared to a bravo 1... a water pump cost $19.95 and takes 10 min max to change...try that on a Merc:rolleyes:
I guess it's kinda like driving a SAAB;) yea it costs more to fix..but hell how often do they break:D

sleekcraft80
05-08-2007, 10:20 PM
My raw water pump is $30. Mine is bolted to the harmonic balancer and is the larger one

lewiville
05-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the input.
Ryan
heres my beef.
I have had my Volvo for 8 years or 9 seasons. I have the 5.0 over head fuel injection. For three years the dealership that I bought it from ( Sun Country Marine ) could not fix the problem that I had. It was one of those intermittent situations. Finally after three years and almost out of warranty Katharyn's Landing mechanic took the air cleaner off ( took 5 min ) to find out that one of the ports was not throwing fuel into the carb. Pissed me off to no end. So, the moral of the story, don't worry about the package because they are all pretty much the same. Worry about WHO FOCK is smart enough to fix the damn thing when it breaks..... just my $75 per hour worth