PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Snakes are out big time

Billdoe
05-08-2007, 05:17 PM
just letting you guys know that are in n.cal that the rattle snakes are out in force this year .. just took my dog to the vet for a rattle snake bite and there were 3 other dogs there for same thing . vet was telling me they are getting alot of calls and visits from ppl with snake bites this week and she was saying this winter was pretty dry and they are gonna be out in big numbers this year from how many attacks they have had juss in the past few days so i wanted to warn you guys out camping to becareful ... if out hiking and you happen to step over a fallen tree Always stand on the top of the tree and look at the ground on the other side before stepping over they love fallen tree's to get out of the sun .. hope none of you have to endure a bite or your pets so juss keep in mind they are out there ..
Bill

Trailer Park Casanova
05-08-2007, 05:19 PM
My place is crawling with them.
Nothing like walking out the side door in to the yard and one coils, hisses and rattles at ya.
Our cat is smart, avoids them,, and even worse skunks.

MR.rvrluvr
05-08-2007, 05:21 PM
thanx, we live in the high desert in So. Cal. usually get about 4 to 5 snakes a year..So far no rattlers tho...I hate snakes:devil:

warlock 27
05-08-2007, 06:22 PM
I live up in the high desert too right by a mountain and we only seen red racers and thats about it. NO Rattle snakes yet .You got to be careful at the lake to, we went down on year and a snake ran right in font of us on the beach, we didnt stay around to see what kind it was.be careful

JetBoatRich
05-08-2007, 08:27 PM
have not seen one yet:rolleyes: but it is only a matter of time:rolleyes:

Just foreplay
05-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Good heads up...
Now that you mention it, I have noticed more rattle snakes out and earlier too. Maybe that why they call the area north of folsom lake "rattle snake bar" huh?
Thanks for the heads up..!

Billdoe
05-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Good heads up...
Now that you mention it, I have noticed more rattle snakes out and earlier too. Maybe that why they call the area north of folsom lake "rattle snake bar" huh?
Thanks for the heads up..!
No kiddin lol . im in the Cool / Georgetown area they always bad up here . usually kill 2-4 a year here . dogs usually end up finding them for me which i hate cause shyt like today happens "vet trip" .. she's hanging in there tho . face looks like a chipmunk but she's eating and drinking which vet said was very important .. looks like it was a Big snake how far apart the fang marks are on her nose and how big the holes were .. anyway juss remember they out there when ya least expect it .

Kachina26
05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Don't want to jinx it, but I've been in the high desert since 1993 and have yet to see a snake. I've always lived on the edge of town, just lucky I guess. An old conductor told me that I'll see plenty of them when I start working the road.
Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope all is well now.

acatitude
05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
and be careful in the lake, dont believe anyone who says snakes dont swim................. they do but always on the surface

DCBob
05-09-2007, 05:58 AM
and be careful in the lake, dont believe anyone who says snakes dont swim................. they do but always on the surface
Yeah, i caught one trying to drag my cooler out of the boat a couple o weeks ago:mad: Wouldn't even of seen it without my Snake light ;) :)

acatitude
05-09-2007, 09:58 AM
one of those delta sheep snakes I bet;)

DCBob
05-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Coulda been..........seemed a little wooly :idea:

DMOORE
05-09-2007, 11:06 AM
A buddy was just walking his dog last week on Fiesta Island, in Mission bay, when he walked up on a four foot rattler. I've never seen one there before.
Darrell.

2forcefull
05-09-2007, 11:16 AM
If you have snakes in your yard, get some chickens, a chicken will foc up a snake quick!!!

BigDutch
05-09-2007, 04:24 PM
I saw two rattle snakes at one of my ranches today. I was only able to get one of them. I'll have to watch for the other one.
What I fear the most is the babies. If you get into one of their nests they will start biting and they dont stop. Atleast the adults only bite once.

2forcefull
05-09-2007, 08:13 PM
I had a place out by nacimiento, they hatched under our double wide and the little one where coming up threw the floor vents, got some manx cats and threw them under the trailer, then put some chickens in the yard.ended the snake problem

bocco
05-10-2007, 08:08 AM
If you have snakes in your yard, get some chickens, a chicken will foc up a snake quick!!!
Is this serious? Can a chicken really take a rattle snake?

flatnfast
05-10-2007, 08:21 AM
was out at nacimiento this past weekend and killed one resting in the shade behind the horse shoe backboard, never knew it was there till a shoe slammed the board and startled it, scared the crap out of me to hear a instant buzz that fast and steady, needless to say when you throw a horseshoe on their heads it stuns them long enough to finish the job. This was in heritage ranch, and kids play out in the common area frequently.

lake p.a.l.
05-10-2007, 10:23 AM
just letting you guys know that are in n.cal that the rattle snakes are out in force this year .. just took my dog to the vet for a rattle snake bite and there were 3 other dogs there for same thing . vet was telling me they are getting alot of calls and visits from ppl with snake bites this week and she was saying this winter was pretty dry and they are gonna be out in big numbers this year from how many attacks they have had juss in the past few days so i wanted to warn you guys out camping to becareful ... if out hiking and you happen to step over a fallen tree Always stand on the top of the tree and look at the ground on the other side before stepping over they love fallen tree's to get out of the sun .. hope none of you have to endure a bite or your pets so juss keep in mind they are out there ..
Bill
What are you supposed to do if your dog gets bit by a rattler? I've never been able to get a decent answer.

clownpuncher
05-10-2007, 11:21 AM
What are you supposed to do if your dog gets bit by a rattler? I've never been able to get a decent answer.
My experience/training..............Make sure the dog stays physically inactive after the bite, no running to your car to hurry to the vet. Make sure you don't get bit by the snake as well.
Don't even think about sucking the venom out or putting a turnicate on.
Be aware that even some mild mannered dogs may bite the handlers/owners when they're hurt. If need be, put a muzzle on your dog. Don't have a muzzle? Use your leashes hand hold and bitter end to form a loop and use that.
Try to calmly walk to your car. Carry the dog if you have to. Get to the vet as quickly/safely as possible. If you can, call the vet on your way to let them know you're coming in. Never painc.
Take it for what it's worth, I ain't no vet
Good luck;)

2forcefull
05-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Is this serious? Can a chicken really take a rattle snake?
very serious, a chicken can pluck their eyes out and peck them to death
their feathers are so thick a snake can't sink it's fangs

2forcefull
05-10-2007, 12:07 PM
was out at nacimiento this past weekend and killed one resting in the shade behind the horse shoe backboard, never knew it was there till a shoe slammed the board and startled it, scared the crap out of me to hear a instant buzz that fast and steady, needless to say when you throw a horseshoe on their heads it stuns them long enough to finish the job. This was in heritage ranch, and kids play out in the common area frequently.
so are you miss'n vegas yet???
steve, best muffler shop

highvoltagehands
05-10-2007, 05:15 PM
very serious, a chicken can pluck their eyes out and peck them to death
their feathers are so thick a snake can't sink it's fangs
" I'm a chicken hawk" I'll jack em all up.:D :D :D

westair
05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Don't want to jinx it, but I've been in the high desert since 1993 and have yet to see a snake. I've always lived on the edge of town, just lucky I guess. An old conductor told me that I'll see plenty of them when I start working the road.
Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope all is well now.
I've had a house in Havasu for about four years now and have yet
to see a snake either but I've seen a few scorpions ... a couple
inside my house ....... small ones but I hear those are the worst!

Her454
05-10-2007, 06:16 PM
We are in N Cal as well, near Hogan lake and they are all over the roads already. Had two in the yard so far and my niece had one on her porch yesterday (about 5 miles from me) that had 11 rattles. Oh, and yes they can swim like crazy, had one come right up into a friends jet last year, twice!
Saw alot in the water last year, more than I ever have.
Focking snake season. :eek:

Billdoe
05-10-2007, 07:36 PM
well it depends on how big the dog is how small the snake is and stuff .. luckily this was a Big snake since its a lil dog 15 lbs she has a better chance since Adults control there venom compared to a baby .. they gave her a couple shots of something NOT anti-venom and some pills to help fight it . basically theres a few different treatments they can give at the Vets but it all depends on how much ya wanna spend .. me i didnt have the money to do anti-venom so i took a cheaper solution just takes longer for dog to recover from it . she's made it 48 hrs and doing good just Swollen real bad ill try n post a pic of her face today . if pic shows up No she isnt smiling either lol

2forcefull
05-11-2007, 05:56 AM
snakes don't like people. As more people move in, the snakes move on.
snakes are smart.

Jetboatguru
05-11-2007, 06:01 AM
well it depends on how big the dog is how small the snake is and stuff .. luckily this was a Big snake since its a lil dog 15 lbs she has a better chance since Adults control there venom compared to a baby .. they gave her a couple shots of something NOT anti-venom and some pills to help fight it . basically theres a few different treatments they can give at the Vets but it all depends on how much ya wanna spend .. me i didnt have the money to do anti-venom so i took a cheaper solution just takes longer for dog to recover from it . she's made it 48 hrs and doing good just Swollen real bad ill try n post a pic of her face today . if pic shows up No she isnt smiling either lol
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30702&d=1178854597
I'm glad your doggy is ok. She does look like she is smiling!

Her454
05-11-2007, 07:41 AM
WOW, that poor guy! Here is some info for those of us living right in snake country. Found this at the vet last year.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139rattler1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139rattler2.jpg

MudPumper
05-11-2007, 07:51 AM
My experience/training..............Make sure the dog stays physically inactive after the bite, no running to your car to hurry to the vet. Make sure you don't get bit by the snake as well.
Don't even think about sucking the venom out or putting a turnicate on.
Be aware that even some mild mannered dogs may bite the handlers/owners when they're hurt. If need be, put a muzzle on your dog. Don't have a muzzle? Use your leashes hand hold and bitter end to form a loop and use that.
Try to calmly walk to your car. Carry the dog if you have to. Get to the vet as quickly/safely as possible. If you can, call the vet on your way to let them know you're coming in. Never painc.
Take it for what it's worth, I ain't no vet
Good luck;)
Or just avoid this all together and have your dog trained at a Snake Avoidance Class. We have a field behind the house and a lot of snakes. We get a few in the yard every year so decided to have the dogs trained (Yellow Lab and Golden Retriever). Didn't know if the training would work and sure as shit the next time a snake came in the yard, the dogs got the hell out of there and wouldn't go near it. Cheap insurance if you love your dog.

sixgunsam
05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
I knew when this thread came up that I wouldn't enjoy Friday. I have a landscape co. and on Friday's we maintain a custom home on 5 landscaped ac. on Salmon Falls Rd., [for you Sac. people] any ways, I'm going through the irrigation system, and snakes are on my mind constantly, the element of surprise is what scares the piss out of me, I have already run into a couple garder snakes, no big deal, and I'm messing around with a valve when I think to myself that I didn't check the bushes before squatting down, I look up from the valve and there was a rattler 2 feet from me coiled up just chillin'. Now I freak out, run to my truck, the whole time yelling F... you this and F... you that at the snake [element of surprise thing] grab a shovel and properly beat the F... out of this thing. Now that I'm sitting here reading this thread, I realize that this property has been good for 1 rattler killing a year for the past 4 years that I have been there, but that has always been around August.....It's May!!!! I'm F...ed.:eek:

Ultracrazy
05-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Being a grown man.........that picture made my eyes wet. Poor pooch.

Rexone
05-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Or just avoid this all together and have your dog trained at a Snake Avoidance Class. We have a field behind the house and a lot of snakes. We get a few in the yard every year so decided to have the dogs trained (Yellow Lab and Golden Retriever). Didn't know if the training would work and sure as shit the next time a snake came in the yard, the dogs got the hell out of there and wouldn't go near it. Cheap insurance if you love your dog.
I'm with ya Mudpumper. All my dogs have been to this for about 10 years since I moved to Rattlesnake country. Some doubt the effectiveness. I've seen it work first hand on snakes outside the training area with my dogs. Dogs won't go near a rattlesnake. One of my dogs even ran from an alligator lizard after the clinic. Same dog loved to chase regular lizards constantly. Had 2 large garter snakes in the yard last week, dogs weren't interested in focking with them either. Same dogs that chase most anything that moves.
My dogs will be returning for refreshers each year. As always. I'm a firm believer in this to avoid dog vs rattlesnake encounters. Dog are inherently curious and will walk right up and sniff a rattlesnake ususally getting bit in the face as witnessed above.
Here's a link... http://www.patrickcallaghan.com/
If you're in another region there are other trainers that do similar clinics.

Rexone
05-12-2007, 12:00 AM
snakes don't like people. As more people move in, the snakes move on.
snakes are smart.
Not necessarily true (the moving on part). Depends on habitat and food supply for the snakes.

sixgunsam
05-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Snakes will keep there natural path, atleast that is what I've been told. Here in Folsom the hospital was built on an area that rattlers always have passed through, there are signs all over the place warning of rattle snakes and the hospital has been there for 20 years.

Bow Tie Omega
05-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Last night, I was driving home from work and was driving past my daughters school. There is a large park to immediatley to the north of the school. There was a 2 foot rattle snake crossing the street making a bee line for the park. I ran it over purposely. On any given weekday, there are over 200 kids in that park at some point. Knock on wood, we have not had any issues yet at the house. We live in the hills but have the golf course and a street in between us and the hills. I think they get what they need at or near the golf course as far as water and food. I still check the back yard every morning before I let the puppy and kids go out.

zudnic
05-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Have snakes in Central Washington State, moving to Redding and seems like Northern Cali may have more of a problem with them. Have 3 mutts (Rottweilers) so this is a big negative........

seanv
05-13-2007, 02:49 PM
when my dogs were pups every chance i had to kill a rattler i would do it. then lop off n burry the head. take the body and let the dogs sniff it and then tell them no with a soft rap with the snake body. just like you do with your favorite slipers they chewed up. an old ranch cowboy tought me this and it works great. lots and lots of trail rides with the dogs running by the horses and they found the snakes long before i did. they would just bark and bark but keep real clear of them. great thing to do if you love them. :D

LandSpeedRacer
05-14-2007, 02:30 PM
Two Sundays ago I was walking up to the stinky bathroom at the end of the penninsula on the cove side and almost stepped on a small one. It wanted to go under our blown over tent and instead made a b-line under the concrete step at the bathroom on the top of the hill. I would imagine if it survives the stench, it will be there on Fathers Day . . . probably much bigger. Just a heads up . . . . . :eek:
LSR

LAVEYSABRE575
05-14-2007, 07:13 PM
I've seen a couple at havasu springs over 10 yrs. I was in a cove letting the air out of a tube on a picnic table heard some movement under the table I looked and there was a 3 ft (approx) rattler with a lizard tail hanging out of his mouth. My mother in law was by the gas docks below the outer harbor (Havasu springs) 2wks ago saw a rattler swim under the dock it popped up on the other side trying to get up on the dock. I will check the boat every time now for them bast--ds...Derek

79Challenger
05-15-2007, 10:44 AM
A buddy was just walking his dog last week on Fiesta Island, in Mission bay, when he walked up on a four foot rattler. I've never seen one there before.
Darrell.
Saw a gopher snake there once... but a rattler!

Riverdog1
05-31-2007, 09:16 PM
For both Bocco and Westair. YES...Chickens eat them for snacks. Farmers and Ranchers in AZ keep them in the yards specifically for that reason. Scorpions are a buffet for chickens and they can't eat a Rattle Snake but it keeps them away. Unfortunately, not every neighborhood is allowed to keep chickens in the yard so we call Orkin (LOL) to fight off the main attraction...the food chain in order...ants, crickets, lizards, scorpions, mice, rats and then snakes. Eliminate the food chain, you eliminate the invasion. Unfortunately, I found a Diamond Back in my driveway...He was lost...I think. But in this case, K & N SHOULD make underwear.
In all seriousness, chickens do alot more than a good BBQ or lay eggs. If you live in the country or another rural area, they would keep the critter problem in check. Chickens love Scorpions.

Bailey
05-31-2007, 10:14 PM
My dog got bit last friday up at East Park Res. Had to go to chico for Emergency vet. She got the antivenom and a two day stay.

Rocknpalms
06-01-2007, 07:53 PM
This year has been slow for us. We live up on the plateau behind Camp Pendelton. AKA La Cresta/Santa Rosa Plateau. A typical summer we get 10-12 around the property. We have had only one to date. The wife found it on the Kreppy Crawl hose in the pool. She took the brush pool and smashed it. The scary part is this was a baby. I would like to know where all the other babies went.
Also BBQ snake is over rated. Too many bones and the meat is chewy. Any one have a good snake recipe.
The past few year we have driven around looking for king snakes. We catch them and let them go around the property. I sure this helps. Also we had a Road Runner hang out around the back yard for a few years I am sure that has helped also.

Ike
06-01-2007, 08:04 PM
God I hate snakes. I was fishing in a pond in Virginia about a month ago and a snake popped it's head out of the water a few feet away. It was either a copperhead or a cotton mouth, I didn't stick around to find out. From the size of the head he had to be three feet.
be safe. look before you step, and if out hiking never put your hands any place you can't see where they are.

RitcheyRch
06-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Sorry to hear you dog got bit. Thankfully the dog is recovering.
There was a news report about someone bit by a rattler in the Palmdale/Lancaster area a few days ago. They transported him to Loma Linda Hospital since they claim to see more victime and are better suited for recovery. Tried finding the news article on-line but no luck.

Billdoe
07-22-2007, 01:51 PM
i forgot to update this after she healed .. took alil over a week for the swelling to go down . the whole time she was recovering she wants to play tug of war with toys but she never had stegnth to hang on .. well after that first week she was back to her Normal self but damn it if she learned anything . i catch her in the yard all the time sniffing under anything she can find ..but thankfully this year we havent seen many out since she was originally attacked . heres a pic of how she normally looks

Rexone
07-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Take em to snake school. I just took mine for refreshers last week. It works (yes I've tested it outside of the school environment), they won't go near a live rattlesnake in the yard or the wild. In fact they may save your ass from stepping on one out on the trail (seriously they will pull back on a leash or block you with their body). And it's fast and relatively inexpensive. Mine go for refreshers each year cause I live in an area that has snakes and don't need any emergency vet bills or the possibility of my dogs dying or losing an eye or something. After the first year they really do remember and want nothing to do with the snakes. They are trained to recognize by sight, smell, and sound. It's like $80 a dog and about 15 min on a weekend day plus drive time. Quick and easy, done deal.

Billdoe
07-23-2007, 07:37 AM
thanks Rex im gonna do that soon as i get a chance cause she didnt learn when she got bit to stop searchin for critters .. wienner dogs tho were originally breed for badger hunting in the holes so its kinda in there blood line to hunt but she dont need to be finding any snakes ... so i will take her to a class maybe she'll learn . thanks again for the info . Bill

Riverless
07-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Take em to snake school. I just took mine for refreshers last week. It works (yes I've tested it outside of the school environment), they won't go near a live rattlesnake in the yard or the wild. In fact they may save your ass from stepping on one out on the trail (seriously they will pull back on a leash or block you with their body). And it's fast and relatively inexpensive. Mine go for refreshers each year cause I live in an area that has snakes and don't need any emergency vet bills or the possibility of my dogs dying or losing an eye or something. After the first year they really do remember and want nothing to do with the snakes. They are trained to recognize by sight, smell, and sound. It's like $80 a dog and about 15 min on a weekend day plus drive time. Quick and easy, done deal.
or you could just get a chihuahua...:D
Tiny dog saves baby from rattlesnake
Mon Jul 23, 7:56 AM ET
Zoey is a Chihuahua, but when a rattlesnake lunged at her owners' 1-year-old grandson, she was a real bulldog.
Booker West was splashing his hands in a birdbath in his grandparents' northern Colorado back yard when the snake slithered up to the toddler, rattled and struck. Five-pound Zoey jumped in the way and took the bites.
"She got in between Booker and the snake, and that's when I heard her yipe," said Monty Long, the boy's grandfather.
The dog required treatment and for a time it appeared she might not survive. Now she prances about.
"These little bitty dogs, they just don't really get credit," Booker's grandma Denise Long told the Loveland Daily Reporter-Herald.

eliminatedsprinter
07-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Of course the Chihuahua jumped in and took the bite. I have yet to see a chihuahua who would let a snake take the first bite.;)

Riverless
07-23-2007, 10:17 AM
really? i have not been around many chihuahuas. i thought they were just something that women carried around in their purses. ;)

gr16241
07-24-2007, 06:58 PM
They not only swim very well but will coil up and strike if provoked. It is pretty amazing. Scary if your kids have been in the water swimming. They also will get under your swim deck and are a mother to knock off.

Baja Big Dog
07-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Baja is crawling with them, anywhere around water, more than normal.:D
Rattlesnake and green chile taco's...cant beat um!!:D

BlueNun
08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Was that dog a daschund?? I have 2 and seeing that breaks my heart