PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Temp Range For Engine?

corleone17
07-09-2002, 09:42 PM
My New motor is only getting to around 100 degrees at idle. Getting on it raises it to about 130... Do I need restriction...I run a Magnaflow into the bottom of the Gil Manifolds then into Front of block, then out intake into risers...Any suggestions...

Beautiful Noise
07-09-2002, 09:56 PM
That is the one problem of the Magnaflow it puts out a high volume of water.I have a gate valve on my water exit that I can restrict down to hold the water in to help heat it up alittle more but I still run around 160 degree's,Depending on where I boat at.

blownschiada
07-09-2002, 10:03 PM
Be careful restricting out going water you could pressure up the block & blow a head gasket.

Beautiful Noise
07-09-2002, 10:08 PM
Good point BlownSchiada......that is true plus if your running headers without a valve or a shut off you can force to much water though them.

sgdiv7
07-10-2002, 06:12 AM
just a thought, how about making the inlet hose smaller or putting in something to restrict the incoming water.

LeE ss13
07-10-2002, 06:51 AM
Here's what works for me. There are 2 outlets on the MagnaFlow water pump. Run water from just One of the outlets to the engine. Run the other outlet overboard with a valve on it there. That way there is no excess water pressure on the engine (it doesn't take much to leak into the oil. Remember the cooling system wasn't designed for high water pressure). To raise the temp just open (waste) the overboard valve. Because I run Aluminum heads in the race boat, I run the valve all the way open to get the engine to 180-200 degrees. (Aluminum heads run very well at 200). Also by doing this, you are letting the pump run free without stressing the impeller. My impeller is 8 years old.
---------
LeE ss13