PDA

View Full Version : Mark VI LS6 Engine ?'s

Bryan Rose
07-24-2003, 02:35 PM
Well as you all know I wiped out the motor in my boat last week and now have decided to do a re-build, well I was adding things up and it seems that this is going to be extremely exspensive... Trying to do it all the right way forged pistons , new cam head work etc... getting up there in price in just parts and such.... Plus the time frame etc... I have the small heads and basically the small motor parts in the 454 ,
Well in my search for parts and stuff I ran across a Mark VI LS6 mercruiser set up out of a jet boat used for 1 season that was just freshened up. comes with everything but intake and carbs, ( I have These )It has all the good stuff in it ... forged pistons , roller cam and rockers, rectangular port heads like I said all the good stuff....
IS this a good set up? the price I think is fair if you add up all that has been done to it.
What shold I do? the guy is also local, a big plus
--------------------

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
07-24-2003, 02:55 PM
make sure you look it over real good. run a compression check. I try not to buy used engines unless it is for a core. as Forest would say "you never know what you gonna get" I would question why someone would only put one season on a freshly rebuilt engine to begin with. Not trying to scare you just be careful when buying a used engine and check it out or get someone to check it out for you. I would seriously consider building your own engine. At least that way you can start with a clean slate and know everything is right. ie. no cracked heads or block. no blown head gaskets, no leaks etc. Just my advice...
Omega

Bryan Rose
07-24-2003, 03:30 PM
well he sold the boat minus the motor , thought he would use it in hi s next ride but , Hard times $$$$$$$ forces sale... I will know what his bottom line is in the friday evening.....

powerplay230
07-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Bryan a few yrs ago I bought a complete 502 HO complete intake to oil pan that someone had bought for project that never was finished. I was pretty nervous buying it without being sure of the true story, got very lucky and motor was what he claimed. I spent some money switching things to make it fit my application but only paid $2500 for the engine so it all worked out well. Depending on the price of this 454 you might want to consider buying new. I have seen the 502's for as low as $4295 so depending on the money savings vs the gamble...... lot of good people on this board to help you out with advice too. I was saved several times by some of the regulars on here! Good Luck whatever route you take. :cool:

gnarley
07-29-2003, 08:02 AM
Hell if the price is right get all of the paper work for the engine to help verify parts & do a teardown & inspection. You would only need a gasket set to put it back together & then you really know what is inside & verified EVERYTHING to your satisfaction. It would take a little more time and an extra $150 but then you would have the satisfaction of truly knowing what you got & assembling it right or take it back if the motor was misrepresented.