PDA

View Full Version : got gas?

Blown 472
05-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Profiteering at the Pump
The Great Oil Robbery
By DAVE LINDORFF
In case you're wondering why crude oil prices are down from last year, hanging around at about $60 a barrel, while gasoline prices have soared past $3.10/gallon nationwide, just check out the latest profit reports from the oil companies. They are at record levels.
The answer for this seeming contradiction is simple: Americans are being robbed blind by the oil industry.
Sure, the oil companies, and their PR and lobbying agency, the American Petroleum Institute, will give you all kinds of reasons for higher gasoline prices at a time of falling crude prices: problems at two refineries in Texas and Oklahoma, rising demand or whatever. But the real answer is that there is simply no competitive market in this industry.
As Tim Hamilton, a researcher and petroleum industry consultant with the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights, observes, the oil companies all store their crude oil and refined gasoline in the same tanks, and all know exactly how much inventory each other company has, so they don't have to meet and collude on pricing in order to reap the huge rewards of deliberate supply constraints.
Says Hamilton, "Years ago, you had companies that would try to guess when the other companies were going to have supply shortfalls of gasoline in the summer. They'd ramp up their own gasoline refining and then supply the market at a lower price and eat their competitors' lunches, the same way General Motors would do if Ford had a problem on its assembly line. But today, no oil company would do that. They all benefit by keeping the supplies tight."
Hamilton says that the oil industry has in practice conspired to limit refining capacity, so that companies can keep pushing up the price of gas artificially-only they've done this without ever having to meet in secret and cut a deal, because they all have complete competitive information on each others' inventories, internal pricing, and refinery capacity.
"There's no correlation any longer between crude oil prices and gasoline prices," he insists. "Crude could drop to $10/barrel, and you could still have gasoline go to $4/gallon. All the crude oil price does is set a floor on gasoline prices."
As an indication of how much control the oil industry has over retail gasoline prices, Hamilton points to a study he did, looking at the price of gas approaching Election Day. His results are truly disturbing.
The oil industry has been a solid backer of Republicans for many years, giving 80-90 percent of its campaign contributions to GOP candidates-particularly during the two Bush terms. What Hamilton discovered is that this support hasn't just been limited to campaign contributions. In fact, the oil industry appears to have clearly tried to minimize voter anger at Republicans late during the election cycle by pushing prices at the pump down just ahead of the voting. In the period 2000-2006, Hamilton found that each non-federal election year-2001, 2003 and 2005, gasoline prices didn't decline during the month of October, but each of the election years-2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006-they fell, with the most dramatic drop coming in October 2006-a period when crude oil prices were rising sharply. Each time, gasoline prices rose again quickly right after the election was over.
"This is a set of coincidences you'd be hard-pressed to explain by anything but planning," says Hamilton. (And incidentally, it would be interesting, when Congress gets those Karl Rove emails from the Republican Party and the White House mainframe computer, to see if there are any to the American Petroleum Institute.)
The whole situation makes a joke of Bush proposals for opening up the Alaskan North Slope to more oil exploration, or for Republican calls for an easing up on environmental regulations for new refinery construction. Says Hamilton, "The price of oil produced in Alaska will be set in Saudi Arabia, and any new supply of crude from Alaska won't affect American gasoline prices in the slightest. And as for new refineries, why would any oil company want to spent $1 billon or more to add refinery capacity so they could get less money for the gasoline they're selling? There isn't enough money in the federal treasury to subsidize the building of new refinery capacity in America."
The irony here is that it is higher prices for gasoline that might eventually convince Americans to use less gasoline, and to reduce the production of greenhouse gasses. But where those higher prices in Europe come in the form of taxes, which can then be used to subsidize public transportation or retirement and healthcare programs, in the U.S. the higher prices simply go to the bottom line of the oil companies, and into the pockets of oil company shareholders, leaving public transit, retirement and healthcare programs under funded, and leaving lower-income workers stuck with higher bills to get themselves to and from work in their cars.
Until the public recognizes that the illusion of competition carefully maintained by the oil industry and its backers in the government is just that-an illusion-this astounding rip-off will continue.

Not So Fast
05-09-2007, 07:25 AM
The oil industry has been a solid backer of Republicans for many years, giving 80-90 percent of its campaign contributions to GOP candidates-particularly during the two Bush terms. What Hamilton discovered is that this support hasn't just been limited to campaign contributions. In fact, the oil industry appears to have clearly tried to minimize voter anger at Republicans late during the election cycle by pushing prices at the pump down just ahead of the voting. In the period 2000-2006, Hamilton found that each non-federal election year-2001, 2003 and 2005, gasoline prices didn't decline during the month of October, but each of the election years-2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006-they fell, with the most dramatic drop coming in October 2006-a period when crude oil prices were rising sharply. Each time, gasoline prices rose again quickly right after the election was over.
As Robin Williams said in the movie "Man of the Year" if you have 2 hundred million (amount doesnt matter) in your campain fund, when you get elected "YOU OWE SOMEBODY" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF

eliminatedsprinter
05-09-2007, 07:44 AM
As Robin Williams said in the movie "Man of the Year" if you have 2 hundred million (amount doesnt matter) in your campain fund, when you get elected "YOU OWE SOMEBODY" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NSF
Kinda one sided post don't ya think.:idea: They give huge sums to democrats as well. For example AL Gore's #1 political contributer for his career in elected office was Occidental Petrolium....:idea:

Blown 472
05-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Kinda one sided post don't ya think.:idea: They give huge sums to democrats as well. For example AL Gore's #1 political contributer for his career in elected office was Occidental Petrolium....:idea:
THats cuz he owns 250k shares in them, kinda strange for an engine hater.

bigq
05-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Just curious if anyone has bitched about how much profit Walmart made, why not cut those store prices more?

Blown 472
05-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Just curious if anyone has bitched about how much profit Walmart made, why not cut those store prices more?
Dont shop there cuz they are underhanded bastards.

SB
05-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Did you complain in the 90s when gas was .90 /gal.?
I thought not.
Did you notice that Clinton massaged prices to help Gore's election in 2000?
I guess it takes a CA liberal to pass all kinds of laws regulating energy production, then wonder why he is sitting there in the dark.
I have nothing against raising gas taxes. When you raise the tax, people use less gas, and the price goes down.
Why are we using so much? Because gas is cheap. That's right, $3 / gal. is a bargain.
The oil companies/Arabs know that when gas gets a little over $3, we will switch to other stuff.
If you don't like to pay that much for gas, don't buy it.
If you are concerned about oil company profits, buy some stock.
Am I happy we have an oil man in the White House? No, we have ignored nuclear power.

bigq
05-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Did you complain in the 90s when gas was .90 /gal.?
I thought not.
Did you notice that Clinton massaged prices to help Gore's election in 2000?
I guess it takes a CA liberal to pass all kinds of laws regulating energy production, then wonder why he is sitting there in the dark.
I have nothing against raising gas taxes. When you raise the tax, people use less gas, and the price goes down.
Why are we using so much? Because gas is cheap. That's right, $3 / gal. is a bargain.
The oil companies/Arabs know that when gas gets a little over $3, we will switch to other stuff.
If you are concerned about oil company profits, buy some stock.
Am I happy we have an oil man in the White House? No, we have ignored nuclear power.
How exactly did Clinton "message" the prices? :rolleyes:

ToMorrow44
05-09-2007, 01:43 PM
I hate going and buying gas so please tell me the steps to take to just stop buying gas? It's supply and demand, people are going to need/use it so they're going to charge for it.

eliminatedsprinter
05-09-2007, 01:49 PM
THats cuz he owns 250k shares in them, kinda strange for an engine hater.
That goes back to his segregationist Dad's ties with Armand Hammer. Occidental Petrolium has been Both Sen Gore's main source of financial support for both of their careers...

OCMerrill
05-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I just gave them a little more profit.
Just doing my share.
I still say prices are up, the government gets a split on the profit, so...we can afford war.
Of course I know absolutely nothing truthful about that.:)

SB
05-14-2007, 12:11 PM
How exactly did Clinton "message" the prices? :rolleyes:
Clinton released oil from the Strategic Reserve right before the election.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/09/21/national/main235327.shtml
This is well known.
Next time google before you roll your eyes. :D
If you don't want to buy gas, you can buy diesel, you can buy biodiesel, or ethanol, or you can use electric.
Why don't you? Because gas is cheaper.
Don't get me wrong, I love cheap gas. Our whole economy loves cheap gas.
This started with the claim "we are being robbed blind.". I reject that thinking.
This in no way should be interpreted as supporting the White House and its lack of an energy program.

sleekcraft80
05-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Back in the late sixties and early seventies the Vietnam war was going on and the price of gas did not change much. I was paying about $ 0.28 to $0.32 a gal. So I think the war doesn't have that much to do with it. It is just the oil companies holding on to what they have and saying all this crap about refineries being down. They know that the american public will pay anyway

Big Warlock
05-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Do you understand the law of supply and demand? Honestly!! They will not allow the oil companies to import refined fuels. They will not allow new refineries nor expansion of the ones that exist. So if the oil companies do not raise the price where they can control the demand, then there would be shortages! The result is a higher profit margin at the refining level for oil companies.
What does this mean for you? Start an oil company!!! There are over 100 oil companies in operation in America. With profits so large and your amazing brain power, I am sure any bank will loan you the billions of dollars to start a company. I won't even start to tell you that they are almost exclusively public companies and you can own shares. Too friggin complicated for you! :)

Just foreplay
05-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I hate going and buying gas so please tell me the steps to take to just stop buying gas? It's supply and demand, people are going to need/use it so they're going to charge for it.
Not sure if any of you have heard..
Tomorrow, May 15th, is a day to abstain from buying gas.
They did this last year and it sent a clear message to the large corporations that we still do have control..It lowered the price by .15 cents..

Big Warlock
05-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Not sure if any of you have heard..
Tomorrow, May 15th, is a day to abstain from buying gas.
They did this last year and it sent a clear message to the large corporations that we still do have control..It lowered the price by .15 cents..
Doesn't even have an effect!! Please!! Are people really this stupid?????

Big Warlock
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Maybe you tree hugging environmentalists should buy bicycles and ride to work and save fuel, etc. etc. Then it would lower the price of gas so my friends and I can burn the shiat up on the lake!!!!! Thanks in advance! Say Hi to Al Gore for me!!! He'll be flying over your bikes in his G-V plane!!!
Honestly, you people amaze me!!!! :devil:

AZJD
05-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Doesn't even have an effect!! Please!! Are people really this stupid?????
Yes, I am!:D :D :D But I can drive by a fuel station and chalk it up, it is what it is........................
Don't like the prices, don't drive, don't go to the lake!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-14-2007, 02:25 PM
I just do not understand how not buying gas for one day would have the slightest effect on anything except maybe me running out of gas on my way to work.
How do people honestly think this will make a difference? :confused:

SmokinLowriderSS
05-14-2007, 02:40 PM
WSarlock, the reality of suply and demand is beyond some.
Currently, part of the limited US refinery production is OFFLINE (ie, not making fuel). Why? Spring cleanup and repair time.
Look up the last 12 weeks gasoline SUPPLY levels, and you will find them shrinking as our usage outstrips supply.
Then look up usage levels, which keep going UP.
When more people want to have something there is less of, what happens to the price.
We do not have enough refining capacity in this country for the needs/demands of this country, period.
EIA gasoline supply since late March (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip_gasoline.html)

Just foreplay
05-14-2007, 05:01 PM
WSarlock, the reality of suply and demand is beyond some.
Currently, part of the limited US refinery production is OFFLINE (ie, not making fuel). Why? Spring cleanup and repair time.
Look up the last 12 weeks gasoline SUPPLY levels, and you will find them shrinking as our usage outstrips supply.
Then look up usage levels, which keep going UP.
When more people want to have something there is less of, what happens to the price.
We do not have enough refining capacity in this country for the needs/demands of this country, period.
EIA gasoline supply since late March (http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip_gasoline.html)
It's all about supply and demand.....
Nothing more, nothing less..

brianthomas
05-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Look at any oil company and their profit margin as a percentage of sales. The profit looks like a big number but as a percentage of sales it is terrible. Want some of those oil profits? Buy their stock! You will be dissappointed, profit per share is terrible.

squirt'nmyload
05-14-2007, 05:28 PM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Not So Fast
05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Lets see what we have learned here::::
Start your own oil company :rolleyes:
Dont buy gas :rolleyes:
Boycott gas :rolleyes:
Dont boat :idea:
Dont gripe about the prices :rolleyes:
Greed is good
Profit at any cost
Anything else Einsteins :D :D :D NSF

Just foreplay
05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Yea, someone missed the Iraq plug...
Wonder why we are there???
Why is every country in the world positioning themself's around the "oil" board? Does Muilti billion dollar contracts sound like a bad idea ...Hmmm:idea:
Again, supply and demand.
As along as it's supplied, I'll be demanding it..
I just won't be buying it tomorrow..