PDA

View Full Version : 496 No Run

shrek
05-09-2007, 10:19 AM
496HO
Ran out of fuel in tank number 1, switched to tank number 2, now wont run.
It will start, but runs like crap..........and it will only start after about 10 key cycles..........
Running a gas motor out of fuel should not be this big of a deal, correct?
Any ideas?
Shrek

smokinflatties
05-09-2007, 10:26 AM
sounds like u got water from bottom of tank , i done that before

purrfecttremor
05-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Could have clogged the inline fuel filter with crap from the bottom of the tank.

DMOORE
05-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Just happened to a buddies boat also. Exactly the same deal. You need to purge the fuel system of air. Talk to the builder or or your mechanic how to do it. It only took a minute to do and problem solved. Because the tanks are lower than the motor, it can sometimes be hard for the pump to prime properly. I "think" he just cracked a fuel line going into the motor.
Darrell.

shrek
05-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Sounds like starting a Diesel!
Does anyone have an official "procedure", or should I just pretend its a diesel.........haha
Shrek

cfm
05-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Just happened to a buddies boat also. Exactly the same deal. You need to purge the fuel system of air. Talk to the builder or or your mechanic how to do it. It only took a minute to do and problem solved. Because the tanks are lower than the motor, it can sometimes be hard for the pump to prime properly. I "think" he just cracked a fuel line going into the motor.
Darrell.
I agree - more probable.
I know on the 502MPI systems you'd have to remove fuel/water seperator and fill with fuel. The electric pump feeds off this 'mini reservoir' and if fuel is lower than spin on fitting, wallah - air/bubbles.
Another reason why I like return systems and pumps in the tanks. ie: car set-ups.
==============================
Also, running out of fuel is murder on the fuel pump. Try to avoid this again at all costs - not just for pain in the azz of purging line but also to keep your pump for eating itself.

Amm
05-09-2007, 12:31 PM
How hard were you running it when you ran out of fuel?
It's not a 2 stroke so it's a lot less likely to happen, but in a hot engine with an increasingly leaner and leaner fuel/air mixture, you can oxidize/burn the aluminum on the top of the piston. Sort of like a welder who heats up a piece of metal till it glows red and then blasts it with oxygen. The metal burns.
Since its a 4 stroke it probably did not happen, but NEVER run an engine out of gas. Especially a 2 stroke.

centerhill condor
05-09-2007, 12:58 PM
may I recommend a can of "sea foam"? '07 is a great vintage!

Beer-30
05-09-2007, 04:55 PM
How hard were you running it when you ran out of fuel?
I was wondering that, too. Especially now that he says it sounds like a diesel. Yikes.
If it didn't hurt the motor and just has water, so be it.
I ran mine out of fuel ONCE. I had heard they take a long time to prime and you will almost wear out a starter. So, I put more fuel in and (while at home) blew compressed air into the tank vent with a rag sealed around the nozzle. This pressurized the tank and pushed fuel to the pump. I cycled the key a few times to get the injectors wet, and it fired right off.

watergun4u
05-09-2007, 07:44 PM
you need t purdge the air out of the injectors, there should be a air bleed on top of the motor,find it take the cap off, crank the motor over untill you get only gas coming out of the air bleed, then fire the motor, but be sure to just crank the motor over while bleeding the system!:D :D

shrek
05-09-2007, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=Beer-30;2551118]I was wondering that, too. Especially now that he says it sounds like a diesel. Yikes.
QUOTE]
It does not "sound" like a diesel.
I was commenting that the procedure sounds like what you would do to a diesel engine that was run out of fuel..........
Thanks for all the input.
Shrek

Beer-30
05-09-2007, 09:48 PM
you need t purdge the air out of the injectors, there should be a air bleed on top of the motor,find it take the cap off, crank the motor over untill you get only gas coming out of the air bleed, then fire the motor, but be sure to just crank the motor over while bleeding the system!:D :D
That won't really work, as the air will already bleed out of the injectors as they are pulsing. Plus, the fuel flows in a circle back to through the return line, so there is always a "full" pipe - as long as there is fuel to pump.
Plus, the pump only runs for 5 seconds or so, until it has oil pressure. One would have to cycle the key many times.

Beer-30
05-09-2007, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=Beer-30;2551118]I was wondering that, too. Especially now that he says it sounds like a diesel. Yikes.
QUOTE]
It does not "sound" like a diesel.
I was commenting that the procedure sounds like what you would do to a diesel engine that was run out of fuel..........
Thanks for all the input.
Shrek
Ah. Good. Hope it all works out.

centerhill condor
05-10-2007, 09:24 AM
boat fuel supply systems have a variety of spring loaded check valves to keep from gravity fueling an on board fire. So, naturally, it takes a bit longer to re-prime.