PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic helm question

superdave013
05-10-2007, 10:34 AM
That's the next item I need for my never ending project.
What ratio of helm are you guys running? I have no idea on what to buy. I see all kinds of Mayfair helms used on Offshore Only. Mostly take offs when they went from single to dual rams. Looks like they can be picked up for an ok price. Pretty spendy new and I'll go that way if I have too.
So what ratio are you guys running??

Racey
05-10-2007, 11:25 AM
What's the Diameter of the ram, and the shaft, and how much stroke?

superdave013
05-10-2007, 12:08 PM
I do not have a ram. I can get one made anyway I want. I could use advice on the specs for that I now that I think about it.
I'll get out there tonight and see how far the tiller moves.
This is for a 20' Schiada with the tiller pointing backwards towards the transom.

Racey
05-10-2007, 01:17 PM
The last 22 schiada we rigged a couple years ago we ran dual 1" imco rams, i think we may have shortened the ram and stroke but i can't remember now, and i believe the 120cc char-lynn giving us 3 1/4 turns lock to lock.
Running a single ram means the wheel will react faster in one direction, unless its a balanced cylinder (where the shaft comes through both ends of the cylinder).
here is the page out of the imco catalog showing the breakdown they give for the different helm/ram combinations.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30629&stc=1&d=1178831899

RiverDave
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
The last 22 schiada we rigged a couple years ago we ran dual 1" imco rams, i think we may have shortened the ram and stroke but i can't remember now, and i believe the 120cc char-lynn giving us 3 1/4 turns lock to lock.
Running a single ram means the wheel will react faster in one direction, unless its a balanced cylinder (where the shaft comes through both ends of the cylinder).
here is the page out of the imco catalog showing the breakdown they give for the different helm/ram combinations.
Why would that happen? :confused:
RD

superdave013
05-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Why would that happen? :confused:
RD
because the shaft takes up some volume so that side would move faster.
The set up I'm wanting to do will mount to the transom with the shaft sticking out each end. Then plan to make something like a drag link to go from each side down to the tiller.

WILDERTHANU
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Ohh boy.. better fire up Auto Cad

WILDERTHANU
05-10-2007, 02:23 PM
What ratio of helm are you guys running? I have no idea on what to buy. I see all kinds of Mayfair helms used on Offshore Only. Mostly take offs when they went from single to dual rams. Looks like they can be picked up for an ok price. Pretty spendy new and I'll go that way if I have too.
I figured you were gonna run cable steering? Why you going hydraulic Dave?

Racey
05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
It's too bad when teleflex bought Morse they discontinued the command 2 cable steering, the dual cable morse steering worked bitchen, lasted, was easy to turn, and didnt break the bank, now the only other option is to spend thousands on rams/helm/pump/lines.

RiverDave
05-10-2007, 02:45 PM
because the shaft takes up some volume so that side would move faster.
The set up I'm wanting to do will mount to the transom with the shaft sticking out each end. Then plan to make something like a drag link to go from each side down to the tiller.
Ahhh... ok
RD

superdave013
05-10-2007, 02:50 PM
lol, I do have my entire boat drawn in Auto Cad.
I don't want to run the cables inside the stringers (and through the v drive mounts) and by the wife's feet/cooler. Out side the stringes is out due to the floors that are there. The dual Morris cables that were in it were right smack where I want the down pedal rod to be at the transom end. And under the dash the left side cable would be in the way of the down pedel. On the 20's the dash is very low and the stringers are tall. Only 10" from the cable to the floor. So I figure I could mount the helm on the kick board and run 2 hoses back.
The steering post is 18" long with out the hub. No legs under the dash for me.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48DSC01993.JPG

wsuwrhr
05-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Glad to see you working on the ol tub.
I see my constant ribbing and flat out challenges have finally lit a fire under your ass.

WILDERTHANU
05-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Ohh ya, I forgot you had those floor boards glassed in. Boats going to be bitchen Dave!! Good luck.

superdave013
05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Glad to see you working on the ol tub.
I see my constant ribbing and flat out challenges have finally lit a fire under your ass.
yeah, that's it. I'm really sweating what you and vernal disease video think. :)
vernal disease video, I hope I'm the first one to use that one. :D

superdave013
05-10-2007, 03:05 PM
So racey, do you think I should go with a 1" shaft or could I get away with 5/8"??

wsuwrhr
05-10-2007, 03:12 PM
Damn Dave, you really have been waking up on the wrong side of the bed lately.
Brian
yeah, that's it. I'm really sweating what you and vernal disease video think. :)

superdave013
05-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Damn Dave, you really have been waking up on the wrong side of the bed lately.
Brian
Or the Angry Iraqi is just a little sensitive these days. Thicken up your skin or stay out of the sandbox brah.
:D

wsuwrhr
05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Or the Angry Iraqi is just a little sensitive these days. Thicken up your skin or stay out of the sandbox brah.
:D
Angry Iraqi thing has to be the dumbest knickname I have ever heard....well maybe not as dumb as G....but pretty darned close. How is it even earned?
Brian

superdave013
05-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Angry Iraqi thing has to be the dumbest knickname I have ever heard....well maybe not as dumb as G....but pretty darned close. How is it even earned?
Brian
so you're sayin the name fits? lol :D
You're so easy it's almost not fun. hehe

Racey
05-10-2007, 05:15 PM
So racey, do you think I should go with a 1" shaft or could I get away with 5/8"??
I would think 5/8 would be more than enough for dual rams, i'd go to 1" on a single even though 5/8 would probably be strong enough

rrrr
05-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I remember back when I was a young lad and superdave began working on his project.......:D :D