PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cop Question

slowinhavasu
05-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Say a guy quit drinking while driving his boat, but likes the taste of beer. So he drinks ,say 8-12 O'douls during the span of his day.200lb+ guy.
Then gets in some kind of collision , would there be enough alchohol in his blood to be considered "impaired".
Trying to be safe, I'd be pissed if I went to all this work to be safe and still had a problem !!!! Thanks....c

rivergoer
05-10-2007, 08:25 PM
fawk it!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,naw play it safe man drink real beer......hahahaha..just kidding dont listen to me..hahahaha

Chubby4Life
05-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Say a guy quit drinking while driving his boat, but likes the taste of beer. So he drinks ,say 8-12 O'douls during the span of his day.200lb+ guy.
Then gets in some kind of collision , would there be enough alchohol in his blood to be considered "impaired".
Trying to be safe, I'd be pissed if I went to all this work to be safe and still had a problem !!!! Thanks....c
I wonder the same thing. I drink Odoul's on my driving day. (Wife and I alternate). I don't worry about accident's but more so about driving with it in my hand or my cup holder.

dicudmore
05-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I STRONGLY recommend not hitting anything to find out :D

slowinhavasu
05-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I STRONGLY recommend not hitting anything to find out :D
THANKS for that Dan....

dicudmore
05-10-2007, 08:43 PM
THANKS for that Dan....
just a friendly reminder :cool: I'm also available as a DD anytime you need it :D

dicudmore
05-10-2007, 09:06 PM
What the heck happened to that beautiful Ultra?
sold it to a friend at work and went east coast :D

juicy noodle
05-10-2007, 09:35 PM
You should not be impaired by consuming the non alcoholic beers. Since I'm also a LEO like boat cop, I would tend to say most LEOs should see your not impaired if anything were to happen or stopped.
If your did fail all sobriety tests, I think you would have an excellent lawsuit against beer company...LOL

C-2
05-10-2007, 09:42 PM
I too pondered that question, but said fuggit, I'll just stop drinking all together. Gotta tell ya - not having a hangover *nice*. Don't miss them at all.
O Douls Dark is good....Klausthauler is actually really good, if you can find it on the shelf. Shiat disappears like the blow dryer at DCB. I took some to a Xmas party and laughed when I saw other guys smacking them down, one after another. I think the St Pauli Girl is also surprisingly good, or ot could be Becks, one of them is good.
Congrats on stepping up!

Boatcop
05-11-2007, 05:41 AM
O'Douls has less than .5% alcohol content. If you drank 10 of them, you'd have consumed approx the same amount of alcohol as in 1 regular 12 OZ beer.
1 12 OZ beer in 1 hour would cause a 200 lb man to have .02% BAC. In that same hour, the body would burn .015% of that alcohol. Meaning a net BAC of .005%
Now that's from drinking 10 O'Douls in one hour. Spread those out over several hours, and you'll be burning any alcohol in your system as you go, so there would be little chance of having ANY measurable alcohol in your system.
Even if you drank 25 O'Douls in an hour, your BAC would only be .035%, well below any level that could be used for prosecution, or be considered "Impaired".
The law says that below .05% you are presumed NOT Impaired. .05% - .08% there is no presumption either way of Impairment, absent additional evidence. Above .08% the law presumes that you ARE Impaired.

deltarat
05-11-2007, 05:58 AM
What he is trying to say is that before you drank enough O’Doul’s to get drunk you kidneys, liver and balder would fail trying to process it all.

DCBob
05-11-2007, 06:01 AM
O'Douls has less than .5% alcohol content. If you drank 10 of them, you'd have consumed approx the same amount of alcohol as in 1 regular 12 OZ beer.
1 12 OZ beer in 1 hour would cause a 200 lb man to have .02% BAC. In that same hour, the body would burn .015% of that alcohol. Meaning a net BAC of .005%
Now that's from drinking 10 O'Douls in one hour. Spread those out over several hours, and you'll be burning any alcohol in your system as you go, so there would be little chance of having ANY measurable alcohol in your system.
Even if you drank 25 O'Douls in an hour, your BAC would only be .035%, well below any level that could be used for prosecution, or be considered "Impaired".
The law says that below .05% you are presumed NOT Impaired. .05% - .08% there is no presumption either way of Impairment, absent additional evidence. Above .08% the law presumes that you ARE Impaired.
Don't forget to deduct the piss factor from the bac after 25 beers ;) :D

Wheeler
05-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Hey slow in Havasu, I used to drink with your dad, at group therapy. :D

gmocnik
05-11-2007, 06:11 AM
so lots of o'duols sounds like a safe bet...
why take any chances...for $100 a breathalizer in the glove box will tell you where you are...
we originally bought one to keep the teenagers "honest"...found that using it after a couple of margaritas at dinner might save the DUI....
amazing how .06 and .08 "feels" like no impairment but it will certainly put you in trouble....
now a permanent accessory on the boat...
have a couple of beers throughout the day.... a quick breath into the breathalizer will tell you whether you need to relax for a few more hours..
obviously, zero consumption is the safest ....

westair
05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Is it even considered alcohol when you operating a boat or auto? I also
drink them while i am driving my boat .. never even gave it a 2nd thought

Dave C
05-11-2007, 08:07 AM
I always thought about getting a personal breathalizer....
does anyone know where to get a good one? (i.e. not a piece of junk)
the new town I just moved to has, lets just say, "strict enforcement" of the law....:D :( :jawdrop:

OCMerrill
05-11-2007, 08:14 AM
So basically by drinking all that O'Douls it not a BAC issue but a urinating in public issue. :D
Be very close to the water at all times! Prop Check.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-11-2007, 08:58 AM
If you go to boatcop.com, the banned words there are:
RD, Toyota & Michale Waltrip.
They just post as: *********

nodigg
05-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Alan, does the formula hold true then that theoretically three beers per hour would keep you under the .08??
I'm a light weight but that seems like three an hour would put me in the impaired status easily. ??

Cole Trickle
05-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Is there any near beer that tastes good and comes in a can?(No glass on the boat)
Probably be a good option for the drivers....throw it in a cuzzie and everyone will still think your cool;):D

Trailer Park Casanova
05-11-2007, 09:07 AM
When I go to the Gin Mill, I drink about 2 Ultras an hour, then a coke for about a half hour and I'll usually blow a .Zero in the parking lot.
Space the suds out, and by all means carry a good reliable BAC meter with fresh batteries.
A DUI is the death penalty now.

Cole Trickle
05-11-2007, 09:08 AM
When I go to the Gin Mill, I drink about 2 Ultras an hour, then a coke for about a half hour and I'll usually blow a .Zero in the parking lot.
Space the suds out, and by all means carry a good reliable BAC meter with fresh batteries.
A DUI is the death penalty now.
Any ideas where you can buy a decent/acurate meter for a good price?
Like stated probably a good tool for the glove box:)

RiverDave
05-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Just for pure hypothetical here.. If you were drinking an o-douls in a car would it even be considered an open container? There is some alcohol in it? But not enough apparently to do anything?
RD

RiverDave
05-11-2007, 09:09 AM
If you go to boatcop.com, the banned words there are:
RD, Toyota & Michale Waltrip.
They just post as: *********
Banned? :jawdrop:
RD :D

Napanutt
05-11-2007, 09:10 AM
the new town I just moved to has, lets just say, "strict enforcement" of the law....:D :( :jawdrop:
http://www.q3i.com/index.php
I've got the Alcohawk pro...
Kind of an interesting (and informative) little toy/tool!:D

OCMerrill
05-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Is there any near beer that tastes good and comes in a can?(No glass on the boat)
Probably be a good option for the drivers....throw it in a cuzzie and everyone will still think your cool;):D
O'Douls and Bush NA both come in cans and are the only ones I know of. Maybe a yahoo search?
Both take some getting used to. I dont even know if you can get Bush Non Alcohol here?
In bottles there are many but like you I dont allow them in my boat either.

EmpirE231
05-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Can a driver be drinking a real beer while driving, if it's his first? or if he's nowhere near .05 bac? :idea:

Cole Trickle
05-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Can a driver be drinking a real beer while driving, if it's his first? or if he's nowhere near .05 bac? :idea:
Nope...Open container (No one in the car can be drinking)
there is/was exceptions to the rules (I think Texas and a couple other states allow back seat passengers to drink)

Devilman
05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Nope...Open container (No one in the car can be drinking)
there is/was exceptions to the rules (I think Texas and a couple other states allow back seat passengers to drink)
Up to a few years ago, you could. Texas has an "open container" law too.... Only in motor vehicles though, the open container law does not apply to boats/watercraft.

RiverDave
05-11-2007, 10:14 AM
In a boat yes, but if they see you their going to give you a sobriety test..
RD

Trailer Park Casanova
05-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Any ideas where you can buy a decent/acurate meter for a good price?
Like stated probably a good tool for the glove box:)
http://www.alcolyzer.com/alcomatepro.html
http://www.alcolyzer.com/IMG/AlcoMateProLg.jpg

MR HARLEY
05-11-2007, 10:41 AM
I'm drunk already just from reading this thread. :D

Trailer Park Casanova
05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
And pay the $35 bones to have it calibrated from time to time:
http://www.alcolyzer.com/support.html#recal

Kiddunot
05-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Obviously there are people out there that drink here and there, they may stop at a beach for an hour or so and have one beer then continue on there venture. How do LEO's feel about people like this vs people that go out and drink themselves stupid and then choose to drive? Obviously the 2nd is absolutely not necessary due to them endangering themselves and other people as well. O'Douls has less than .5% alcohol content. If you drank 10 of them, you'd have consumed approx the same amount of alcohol as in 1 regular 12 OZ beer.

Boatcop
05-11-2007, 11:15 AM
As far as drinking an O'Douls or other NA beverage while driving a motor vehicle, the law prohibits drinking or even having an open container of "Spiritous Liquor" while in or driving a motor vehicle on a public roadway. (certain exemptions for the "living areas" of motor homes)
"Spirituous liquor" includes alcohol, brandy, whiskey, rum, tequila, mescal, gin, wine, porter, ale, beer, any malt liquor or malt beverage, absinthe, a compound or mixture of any of them or of any of them with any vegetable or other substance, alcohol bitters, bitters containing alcohol, any liquid mixture or preparation, whether patented or otherwise, which produces intoxication, fruits preserved in ardent spirits, and beverages containing more than one-half of one per cent of alcohol by volume.
The above is a direct quote of the law. O'Douls and NA "beers" have less than .5% alcohol, so it's no different than drinking water.
Although (believe it or not) people actually use NA brews to attempt to mask real beer, and the packaging of O'Douls and others make it impossible to tell the difference between them and real beer without a close look. So if you're drinking a NA brew and a cop sees it, they may want to get a closer look and do a few tests. IT's considered "reasonable suspicion".
And Coors makes "Cutter", which is pretty good, as far as NA beers go. St. Pauli girl is probably the best, though.

djunkie
05-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I've tried Coors Cutter and O'douls before. They were ok.

Cole Trickle
05-11-2007, 12:04 PM
I've tried Coors Cutter and O'douls before. They were ok.
Did it make you sick like regular beer?:D:devil:
Or could you drink 6 of those bad boys!?!?!?:idea: :D ;)

djunkie
05-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Did it make you sick like regular beer?:D:devil:
Or could you drink 6 of those bad boys!?!?!?:idea: :D ;)
http://theinsideline.org/forums/images/smilies/141.gif

Cole Trickle
05-11-2007, 12:12 PM
http://theinsideline.org/forums/images/smilies/141.gif
lol:D

Cole Trickle
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Just ordered the Plus:)
http://www.personalalcoholtester.com/AlcoMatePlus.php
I think it will keep the person driving honest and be pretty entertaining for the passengers.

Dave C
05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Let us know how it works...
.....(i.e. how high you guys get it up too) ;)
I think it will keep the person driving honest and be pretty entertaining for the passengers.

Boatcop
05-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I can just see it now. People pay DUI Defense Attorneys tens of thousands of dollars to argue that intoxilzers that cost $12,000, are tested, certified and calibrated at least once a month, and operated by trained technicians are innacurate.
But they'll blindly trust a breath tester that they bought for less than $130 bucks on the internet. :rolleyes:

Cole Trickle
05-18-2007, 10:36 AM
I can just see it now. People pay DUI Defense Attorneys tens of thousands of dollars to argue that intoxilzers that cost $12,000, are tested, certified and calibrated at least once a month, and operated by trained technicians are innacurate.
But they'll blindly trust a breath tester that they bought for less than $130 bucks on the internet. :rolleyes:
I'm smart enough to understand it's nothing but a simple screening device.:)

DeltaSigBoater
05-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Couple years ago @ school (end of the semester) when the on campus pub had their annual beer garden the campus police were there conducting on site "voluntary" breathalyzer test, since they were trying to curb people Driving UI.
I hadnt and anything alcoholic to drink in 3 days, since I had finals. 45 minutes later after my first beer (22oz), I thought I'm curious to see what my B.A.C is go over to the booth the police had set up and I blew a .07
So my question is this can the machine be calibrated to read higher than what the person's actual, BAC is?

Boatcop
05-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Couple years ago @ school (end of the semester) when the on campus pub had their annual beer garden the campus police were there conducting on site "voluntary" breathalyzer test, since they were trying to curb people Driving UI.
I hadnt and anything alcoholic to drink in 3 days, since I had finals. 45 minutes later after my first beer (22oz), I thought I'm curious to see what my B.A.C is go over to the booth the police had set up and I blew a .07
So my question is this can the machine be calibrated to read higher than what the person's actual, BAC is?
The instruments are calibrated/tested with a solution that is precisely .10% alcohol content. There is nothing that can be done in the field that could alter the instrument's readings.
If during the calibration/testing, the instrument is found to read more than .002% off of .10% the unit has to be sent off for technical service.
They also self-test to .10% each time they're used. It self tests before and after each subject test. If it doesn't self test within tolerences, the test is invalid and it doesn't produce a reading.
So, no. It's not possible to tweak the instrument to give a higher or lower reading.
If the test in your example was done shortly after your last drink it could have been from "mouth alcohol" meaning some of the beer or alcohol remained in your mouth, or you may have burped shortly before the test, which would bring alcohol vapors from your stomach into your mouth, giving a false reading.
This is why we observe a subject for 15 minutes prior to giving the intoxilyzer test, to make sure sufficient time has passed to allow mouth alcohol to disapate and make sure they don't burp up vapors.

shrek
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
The instruments are calibrated/tested with a solution that is precisely .10% alcohol content. There is nothing that can be done in the field that could alter the instrument's readings.
If during the calibration/testing, the instrument is found to read more than .002% off of .10% the unit has to be sent off for technical service.
They also self-test to .10% each time they're used. It self tests before and after each subject test. If it doesn't self test within tolerences, the test is invalid and it doesn't produce a reading.
So, no. It's not possible to tweak the instrument to give a higher or lower reading.
If the test in your example was done shortly after your last drink it could have been from "mouth alcohol" meaning some of the beer or alcohol remained in your mouth, or you may have burped shortly before the test, which would bring alcohol vapors from your stomach into your mouth, giving a false reading.
This is why we observe a subject for 15 minutes prior to giving the intoxilyzer test, to make sure sufficient time has passed to allow mouth alcohol to disapate and make sure they don't burp up vapors.
I honestly never drink and drive a boat........Its hard enough when you are sober.
But I have always wondered what my REAL bac is when drinking......There is this magical number of .08, but there is no real way of seeing where you are actually at.
Do you think these are somewhat accurate, Boatcop?
Thanks,
Shrek

Cole Trickle
05-18-2007, 12:01 PM
I honestly never drink and drive a boat........Its hard enough when you are sober.
But I have always wondered what my REAL bac is when drinking......There is this magical number of .08, but there is no real way of seeing where you are actually at.
Thanks,
Shrek
Like Alan said it's not gonna hold up in court or give you a free pass to drive but when calibrated they are supposed to be acutrate.
Better to know than not know if your close.
From the site...
DOT/NTHSA Approved
Meets US Coast Guard Requirements
Accuracy: +/-0.01 at 0.10% BAC

Boatcop
05-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Thanks,
Shrek
I would put their accuracy at somewhat less than our Preliminary Breath Testers (http://www.alcopro.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=A&Product_Code=206) carry. The PBTs we use can be up to .02% off of what the certified intoxilizers read.
Sometimes it's higher, sometimes lower. Sometimes right on the money. That's why the results aren't admissible in court, and they're only used to determine that the substance causing the impairment is Alcohol, and not drugs.
The ones like the $130 model, can be used to determine approx what the BAC is, but I wouldn't rely on them to protect you from arrest, especially if the reading is within .03% of the legal limit.

shrek
05-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Like Alan said it's not gonna hold up in court or give you a free pass to drive but when calibrated they are supposed to be acutrate.
Better to know than not know if your close.
From the site...
DOT/NTHSA Approved
Meets US Coast Guard Requirements
Accuracy: +/-0.01 at 0.10% BAC
Im not trying to get a free pass, or fight something in court...........
I just want to know where that magical .08 number really is.......who knows, you could be alot higher than you think........
I think I might buy one of those, because it sure seems to be accurate....
Shrek