PDA

View Full Version : Capsules for APBA classes

Lookin for Liquid
07-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know the status on the pending capsule rules for APBA and if they are going to implement them.
Thanks

SERIOUS ISSUES
07-16-2003, 10:12 AM
I dont know if it will ever fly. We just got a SS boat and hope to have it ready for Firebird in Oct. I have looked into the capsule thing and I dont know how most races can aford it. You are looking at about 10k for the capsule air tanks and all the other crap for it. That is is you have the know how to install it your self. I think that if it is implemented it will kill the class. just as a guess more than 50% of the owners cant aford the capsule, me included.

Moneypitt
07-16-2003, 11:13 AM
Last I read, the APBA was leaving it voluntary for this year and next. However, if the voluntary implementation doesn't meet a certain percentage of racers installing them by a certain time, then apba will change the plan. I agree, that they are going to be expensive, not to mention some drivers just plain don't like the idea of being closed in. To me, flatbottoms are just that, flatbottoms with wide open cockpits and drivers with balls as big as their heads. Anything else just won't be the same. Its been said that they save lives, well maybe they do, but let the drivers decide!...Moneypitt

RaysonKid
07-16-2003, 12:01 PM
Get this.
I met a guy here in Tacoma that is working on purchasing an Unlimited Hydro.
He was at the dive shop that I go to.
Seems that he has to take scuba lessons (per APBA) to drive a capsuled unlimited.
Dont know if its all a BS story.
Anyone heard this about the APBA and capsules??

uclahater
07-16-2003, 12:39 PM
Lookin for Liquid:
Does anyone know the status on the pending capsule rules for APBA and if they are going to implement them.
Thanks The rule is that by the year 2004 33% of the class must be capsuled. The rule states that if there isnt 33% of the boats with a capsule at a race, the 33% rule will go out and it will be a manditory 100% capsule rule. 66% of the boats are to be capsuled by 2005 and 100% by 2006. Im building an ss boat right now and its not going to be capsuled. The rule also states that any new boat that comes into the class in 2004 has to be capsuled. I think its total bull shit..

126driver
07-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Can you say OUTLAW?
Sprintcars have World of Outlaws (WoO). How about "Superstock Outlaw Boats" (SOB). No, that doesn't sound right... :rolleyes: :D

uclahater
07-16-2003, 01:27 PM
126driver:
Can you say OUTLAW?
Sprintcars have World of Outlaws (WoO). How about "Superstock Outlaw Boats" (SOB). No, that doesn't sound right... :rolleyes: :D What do you mean "Superstock Outlaw boats" that sounds great :D I think you might be onto something 126 idea
[ July 16, 2003, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: uclahater ]

Moneypitt
07-16-2003, 02:05 PM
What would happen to apba if K, PS, and SS just said NO! "We"(not me) as drivers just don't want capsules? As far as the unlimited H go, who knows what sort of hoops you have to jump through to race in that "class". Ha! A few years ago, it cost 10K just to register a boat in the class for the year. That was a fee. Did not include any race entry fees or insurance or anything. Your share of the bribe that apba PAID to espn to show these shitty races. (I quit apba for the tv reason). 4 or 5 boats in a heat with multi-million $ budgets, and 1 or 2 won't start!!!
I feel that anyone who chooses to run with a capsule should voluntarily go through some sort of training to realize the benifits it has. But no one should be forced to use one...Moneypitt

uclahater
07-16-2003, 02:20 PM
Moneypitt:
What would happen to apba if K, PS, and SS just said NO! "We"(not me) as drivers just don't want capsules? As far as the unlimited H go, who knows what sort of hoops you have to jump through to race in that "class". Ha! A few years ago, it cost 10K just to register a boat in the class for the year. That was a fee. Did not include any race entry fees or insurance or anything. Your share of the bribe that apba PAID to espn to show these shitty races. (I quit apba for the tv reason). 4 or 5 boats in a heat with multi-million $ budgets, and 1 or 2 won't start!!!
I feel that anyone who chooses to run with a capsule should voluntarily go through some sort of training to realize the benifits it has. But no one should be forced to use one...Moneypitt Moneypit couldnt agree with you more. If they really want capsules than let someone with one have a lot more performance options. In order to win you would have to have a Capsule. That would get the 3 or 4 guys that can compete to step up. bottom Line its just like the stupid helmit law. If the only person your going to hurt is yourself than it should be your decision. Why force someone that doesnt believe that the capsules any safer to use one when they can only hurt themselves burningm How about The "Inboard Racing Association". All the good boats would be included.

126driver
07-16-2003, 02:24 PM
You guys are kicking a horse that laid down and died a long time ago. wink

uclahater
07-16-2003, 02:32 PM
126driver:
You guys are kicking a horse that laid down and died a long time ago. wink 126 your right :( It just makes me sick to think that theres a chance that flatbottom racing is on its last leg cry I just hope that the current racers can keep it together :cool:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-16-2003, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by uclahater:
:( It just makes me sick to think that theres a chance that flatbottom racing is on its last leg cry
Last Leg??? Your forgetting the thriving "River Circuit" and Camp-far!!!! :)

BigBoyToys
07-16-2003, 03:39 PM
I have recently been talking with some folks at the SSRA (http://www.superstockracingassoc.com/) It is my understanding that they will be breaking away from the APBA ENTIRELY after this season and starting a 100% "Outlaw" racing organization.....at least for the Super Stocks. With this in mind, I am attempting to get a boat ready to run again in the SSRA next season. I did just get an email today and it said (quote) " we do have a direction going but were waiting to see how many races we
can get for next year all outlaw!!!!!. " (End Quote)
With this info in mind and other info I got from other SSRA members, I am very excited and looking forward to next year :D
Build your boats....and sign up for the SSRA!!! wink

BigBoyToys
07-16-2003, 03:39 PM
WTF????? Double post
[ July 16, 2003, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

uclahater
07-16-2003, 04:59 PM
BigBoyToys:
WTF????? Double post Big Boys well be right there next to you in the SS 23 American Pride "OUTLAW" srintboat with myself or V-Drive Video Drivin. When Billy B gets done painting it I'll Post some pics. :cool: I think 126 should learn how to use V-drives camera so we can have someone out Video taping why V- Drive is gettin wet. :D :D

126driver
07-16-2003, 05:06 PM
You want me to mount a camera to the back of my helmet? wink :rolleyes:

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-16-2003, 05:07 PM
uclahater:
BigBoyToys:
WTF????? Double post Big Boys well be right there next to you in the SS 23 American Pride "OUTLAW" srintboat with myself or V-Drive Video Drivin. When Billy B gets done painting it I'll Post some pics. :cool: I think 126 should learn how to use V-drives camera so we can have someone out Video taping why V- Drive is gettin wet. :D :D Gettin wet??? WTF??? I went to the Lance Faulkner school of driving instead of Scott Peraltas diving class!! Thats right I said Scott Peralta shool of DIVING not driving!!!! :D :D :D
[ July 16, 2003, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: V-DRIVE VIDEO ]

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-16-2003, 05:11 PM
126driver:
You want me to mount a camera to the back of my helmet? wink :rolleyes: Thats perfect, I would enjoy that shot of myself and the rest of the pack coming around to lap you!!! eek! :p

uclahater
07-16-2003, 05:12 PM
V-DRIVE VIDEO:
uclahater:
BigBoyToys:
WTF????? Double post Big Boys well be right there next to you in the SS 23 American Pride "OUTLAW" srintboat with myself or V-Drive Video Drivin. When Billy B gets done painting it I'll Post some pics. :cool: I think 126 should learn how to use V-drives camera so we can have someone out Video taping why V- Drive is gettin wet. :D :D Gettin wet??? WTF??? I went to the Lance Faulkner school of driving instead of Scott Peraltas diving class!! Thats right I said Scott Peralta shool of DIVING not driving!!!! :D :D :D Hey Bro I didnt mean crashin the boat I meant being out on the water :p

126driver
07-16-2003, 05:14 PM
You guys are harsh. Funny as hell, but harsh. :D :D

uclahater
07-16-2003, 05:14 PM
126driver:
You want me to mount a camera to the back of my helmet? wink :rolleyes: More like an alarm clock so you could be out there before noon :D

uclahater
07-16-2003, 05:15 PM
126driver:
You guys are harsh. Funny as hell, but harsh. :D :D Dont mess with the "BG" devil

126driver
07-16-2003, 05:19 PM
uclahater:
126driver:
You want me to mount a camera to the back of my helmet? wink :rolleyes: More like an alarm clock so you could be out there before noon :D Now that's just not right. G/D, I'm a little late ONCE and you guys just won't let it go, will you? wink

126driver
07-16-2003, 05:20 PM
uclahater:
Dont mess with the "BG" devil That's "Bee Gee's". idea Get it right cubby.

FlatRacer
07-18-2003, 08:33 AM
Did somebody mention Outlaw Racing??? Sign me up!
Whatever the SSRA decides to do on their own, outside of APBA, I will join it and support it. I've put the SS motor back in my boat, but I ain't jumpin' through any of APBA's hoops to run it. I'll tow the damn thing to the other side of the world to run it before I strap myself into a death cell!
Better yet, I'll do whatever needs to be done in order to support an "SSRA Eastern Division". I know a lot of guys back here that are looking at their boats wondering what they're gonna do with them next year.
Keep me informed.
FR :p

LeE ss13
07-18-2003, 02:42 PM
SERIOUS ISSUES:
I dont know if it will ever fly. We just got a SS boat and hope to have it ready for Firebird in Oct.... You won't need a capsule for any of the races SSRA runs that aren't APBA races. Firebird is an IHBA race just like Red Bluff. SSRA has already scheduled non APBA races. I think the writing is already on the wall.

126driver
07-18-2003, 03:11 PM
True.