PDA

View Full Version : question about boat registration

Hotcobra270
05-11-2007, 07:41 AM
I took possesion of my new cobra boat the friday before memorial day weekend last year but I got a notice from the state of arizona that my registration expired on 4/30/07. I though registrations are good for 12 months .
I feel like Im missing something? Shouldnt my registration be good through may?

voodoomedman
05-11-2007, 07:52 AM
I took possesion of my new cobra boat the friday before memorial day weekend last year but I got a notice from the state of arizona that my registration expired on 4/30/07. I though registrations are good for 12 months .
I feel like Im missing something? Shouldnt my registration be good through may?
Not the first year. You will either have less than a year or longer than a year so that way the can get everybody spaced out and have steady income from the registration. The price was prorated accordingly. You will now get your registration due on or close to 4/30 every year.

Boatcop
05-11-2007, 09:01 AM
VooDooMan (almost) speaks the truth.
The initial (first) registration of a boat in AZ will be for 1 year.
There is a formula, whereby the last 2 numbers in the registration correspond to a month of the year. This is to space out the incoming registration over the year, so the girls in the registration office aren't overloaded for a month or 2, and then have nothing to do for the rest of the year.
Steady income has nothing to do with it, since the fees collected this fiscal year are banked for use in the next fiscal year, so it doesn't matter when it comes in.
In the second year, your registration will be for anywhere from 6 - 18 months to get you in step with the formula. The fees are prorated up or down from the 12 month rate, depending on the length of time.
The third (and beyond) registration renewal will be for 12 months, and you'll be on the correct cycle.