PDA

View Full Version : Here come the ants

lewiville
05-11-2007, 09:31 AM
its getting hot and her come the damn ants. cant ever win for losing.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
NOOO!!!! I hate ants the most. We have wasps too. Bleh! :mad:

RitcheyRch
05-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Light them on fire with a can of WD-40

Havasu1986
05-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm having ant problems here in Havi. Got in last nite and there every where. Never had ant problems in the 20 years I have been coming here.:mad:

yopengo
05-11-2007, 09:44 AM
I fought my wife for years about getting a service. I would spray every known concoction know to man and finally caved. Best thing I ever did. Its like $55.00 every three months and not one ant since day one. :D

Havasu1986
05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
I fought my wife for years about getting a service. I would spray every known concoction know to man and finally caved. Best thing I ever did. Its like $55.00 every three months and not one ant since day one. :D
Same her...for my Yorba Linda house. But I may need it here in Havi.

boatsnblondes
05-11-2007, 09:57 AM
We have service that comes every other month, sprays the house and checks for wasps also. Sprays for wasps....the thing is to get a barrier around the house that they can not cross..once you do that...it's no problem....I have a rule, do what you want outside the house little ants, but the penalty for entering the house is death....

230EAGLE
05-11-2007, 10:16 AM
If They Are Red Ants You Can Get A Product Called Amdro Available At Lowes Or Home Depot. Sprinkle Some Around The Nest The Workers Will Take It Down The Nest And About A Week Or Less The Colony Will Be Killed. Works Great, The Best Products I Have Ever Used. Great For Fire Ants Too. Hope This Helps!

HCS
05-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Light them on fire with a can of WD-40
That WD-40 is good for everything.

Old Texan
05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Have y'all got "Fire Ants" out there yet? If you aren't familiar with them, you've never had an ant problem 'til you get these lil' basturds. Their name comes from what their bite feels like, and they wil bite, generally seveeeral or more at a time. Bad news.....
The black imported fire ant, accidentally imported from South America into Mobile, Alabama, was first reported in 1918. Its distribution is still restricted to parts of Mississippi and Alabama. The red imported fire ant was imported around the 1930's and has spread to infest more than 260 million acres of land in nine southeastern states, including all or portions of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma (Lofgren 1986, Sparks 1995). This species has become very abundant, displacing many native ant species when abundant. It has the potential of spreading west and surviving in southern Arizona and along the Pacific coast north to Washington (Vinson & Sorenson 1986).
You can tell you have fire ants if....
You see a mound of fluffy worked soil, particularly a few days after a heavy rain.
The mound has no opening in the center like most ant mounds. Red imported fire ants leave and enter the mound housing the colony through underground tunnels.
Undisturbed mounds in pastures can reach 18 inches in height, but most mounds in turfgrass areas are usually just a few inches tall. When you shovel into the colony's mound of soil you see white objects. This is the brood - the eggs, larvae and pupae of developing ants.
Fire ants are small, only about 1/8" to 1/4" long. Variation in size is a distinguishing characteristic of imported fire ants. Many other ant species are uniform in size.
When you disturb the mound, dozens to hundreds of reddish-brown worker ants crawl up vertical surfaces (like grasses and other objects) on and around the mound. Few native ants charge up vertical surfaces.
If you get stung it feels like being burned. A day or so later, the imported fire ant's unique venom forms a white fluid filled pustule or blister at the red sting site that is very characteristic - only fire ant venom causes this symptom!
Worker ants bite (with mandibles) and sting (with stingers) aggressively and repeatedly.

H20Advantage
05-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Ant Bait (Sure fire ant killer!)
3 Cups Water
1 Cups Sugar
4 teaspoons Borax
Soak cotton balls in mixture. Place them in a dish near ant hill or in ants path.
Keep out of reach of kids and pets.
Ants need to carry it back to the colony. If ants are seen dead around mixture the Borax is too strong so re-mix reducing the Borax.

dmontzsta
05-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Inland Empire = Ants
Orange County = Roaches
:)
Gotta love it.

RitcheyRch
05-12-2007, 08:05 AM
Best invention since duct tape and zip ties. :D
That WD-40 is good for everything.

Cigalert
05-12-2007, 08:13 AM
My wife has used this stuff everywhere we lived. All of our neighbors have had massive ant problems except us. It is literally a piece of chalk and comes in a box with all kinds of chop chop writing on the sides. When she first starting tagging up our house I freaked and said "WTF is that?". She said it's "ant chalk". I couldn't help but pet her cute little head for thinking there was such a thing as chalk for ants. My next question was going to be about the Easter Bunny. Just then there was a fugitive on the wall making a b-line for the electrical outlet. She marked a circle on the wall around the ant. He stopped, checked it out a bit....went back to where he came from...stopped....checked it......jumped off the f'ing wall.
It's got to be good stuff if an ant is willing to commit suicide.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10430525/Cockroach_Chalk.jpg

Cheyenne372
05-14-2007, 03:47 AM
Take it from someone who owns a feed store.....Go to a Feed Store in your area and look for a product with the ingredient "Acephate"
It is a white powder that you sprinkle on the mounds. A one pound container will do 104 mounds.
As a warning, do not open it in the house! It smells like rotten eggs, but does kill the ants!
Another really good product is made by Bengal Chemical company. It is also a powder that is applied to the mounds, and it has a money-back guarantee from the manufacturer.
The Over-and-Out product that you see advertised on television works good as a season long, one application product, but you have to start it early in the season (like March here in God's Country).
Hope that helps.