PDA

View Full Version : Avi launching

v-drive
08-13-2003, 08:19 PM
I'm taking my boat out of Avi next week. This is my first v-drive and a person that works with my daughter said it was dangerous (rocks I think)and I should launch out of Needles. Is there anything to this. :cool: v-drive

superdave013
08-13-2003, 09:08 PM
Yep, he right. I just got back from the Avi. In the AM the water is very very low. It does come up though.
It's doable but don't be in a big hurry to put your boat in and really watch where your going.
Jet boat county up there if you ask me.

ACCEPTENCE
08-13-2003, 10:19 PM
Superdave is right. The water will be very low in the morning until miday when it starts coming back up. Rock bars in the river are prety clear and you should be ok if your paying attention.
You indeed might want to consider launching at Needles Marina Campgroung and heading down river.
www.needlesmarina.com (http://www.needlesmarina.com)
From the bridge down river you will have no problems at all.
They ocassionaly shut the launch ramp down to the general public at around 10:30 so be sure to be in the water before that.
Cruise the river, go to topock for lunch, check out the sand bar...
Enjoy your trip :D :D :D
[ August 13, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: ACCEPTENCE ]

Hotcrusader76
08-13-2003, 10:22 PM
v-drive:
I'm taking my boat out of Avi next week. This is my first v-drive and a person that works with my daughter said it was dangerous (rocks I think)and I should launch out of Needles. Is there anything to this. :cool: v-drive Just my 0.02 for the low freeboard guys...
When I was launching at the AVI I probably took on about 4 bucket of water over the transom due to the ramp butting up to the current/traffic of the river.
Just be carefull.

Beautiful Noise
08-13-2003, 10:39 PM
I launched out of the Avi this past Saturday,Let me till you it was a site to see the bottom all the way over to the Lagoon.Had to wait till the afternoon before I felt it was safe enough to go Cruise around.Like Hotcrusader76 said watch the Ramp it can get Ruff there, If somebody is holding your Boat for you make sure it's Bow out,My wife almost lost mine a couple of year's ago she was Bow in and almost Swamped it right there on the Ramp eek! :D
Steve
[ August 13, 2003, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Beautiful Noise ]

Floored
08-13-2003, 10:59 PM
usually starts coming up by 10-11 am. on sunday the 3rd you could walk across the river at the Avi and the water never really came up to normal. a small breakwater at the Avi ramp would be nice, water is always a little rougher there than most of the river in that area even during the week.

v-drive
08-14-2003, 04:28 AM
Thanks guy's I have a feeling you've just saved me. On another note what is the RV park like at Needles. :cool: v-drive

ACCEPTENCE
08-14-2003, 05:41 AM
v-drive:
Thanks guy's I have a feeling you've just saved me. On another note what is the RV park like at Needles. :cool: v-drive Look at www.needlesmarina.com (http://www.needlesmarina.com)
It's a nice park and plenty to do. Facilities are user friendly and the ramp is in a back water cove, no current & no swamping waves.

v-drive
08-14-2003, 08:06 AM
Thanks acceptence I think that is where we are going to go. :cool: v-drive

old rigger
08-14-2003, 08:18 AM
We had a flattie at the CBBB an launched every day except Sunday, but that was because I was hurtin', not because of the water. It is low though, and right in front of the cove at the Avi is a rock bar that you have to watch out for. Go up river from the ramp to the last buoy and cut into the cove there.
I thought the ramp at the Avi as great, well protected from the current, and lots of concrete for when the rivers low. We didn't get any water over the transom launching or pulling out from Thurs to Tues. Maybe we lucked out.
When you're going down river about a mile before Willow Valley there's a nasty rock bar that we had to walk the boat though on Thursday, but every other day we were fine when we got to that point, although it was after 11:00 am.
Acceptence is right about paying attention, just read the water and you'll be fine. It's worth the launch, on Thurs, Fri, and Mon, we were almost the only boat on that part of the river. Thurs we only saw one other boat from the Avi bridge to our friends place 1/2 mile up from the Needles bridge. It was great.
[ August 14, 2003, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: old rigger ]