PDA

View Full Version : Plane Crash - Lake Pleasant

Boatcop
05-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Just heard a blip on the news. Plane crashed into Lake Pleasant.
More to come.........................

Boatcop
05-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Crashed just north of the Dam about 30 minutes ago. (8:30 PM) 1 small boat near the scene called 911. Fire boat from the Marina on scene shortly after.
MCSO boats, MC Parks Dept, and Fire boat on scene. DPS helicopter hovering overhead.
No survivors found as yet...........

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-11-2007, 08:06 PM
:( thoughts and prayers ..

Devil's Advocate
05-11-2007, 08:16 PM
We were going to be there today but decided not to go. I hope there is some news of survivors.

squirt'nmyload
05-12-2007, 05:31 AM
this does not suprise me one bit. see planes buzzing the water all the time. about a month ago we were floating in the north end of the lake and watched as this plane, what looked like an experimental, came diving down, pulled up and started coming right at us. i was standing up in my boat and when it came by i felt the wind from it. i though my girlfriend was going to jump off the boat!! she was shaking for an hour afterwards.

Jordy
05-12-2007, 05:34 AM
I bet that giant freshwater squid reached up and pulled the plane down.... :jawdrop:
Haven't heard any more news on this one. Hopefully everyone made it out ok.

phebus
05-12-2007, 05:36 AM
The news last night said that no survivors were located, and they were suspending search and rescue efforts until daylight today.

squirt'nmyload
05-12-2007, 05:38 AM
Plane slams into Lake Pleasant
Authorities to search water for bodies today
Brent Whiting and Lindsey Collom
The Arizona Republic
May. 12, 2007 12:00 AM
Divers from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office are expected to hit the water early today in search of bodies from a single-engine Cessna that crashed into the south end of Lake Pleasant late Friday.
Authorities said Friday that there was no immediate sign of survivors in the water, which is about 120 feet deep.
Lt. Paul Chagolla, a spokesman for the Sheriff's Office, said there was also no word on how many people were aboard the plane, where the plane left from or where it was headed. A witness who contacted authorities late Friday may be able to provide details, he added.
An officer from the Arizona Department of Public Safety reported seeing a low-flying plane while patrolling on Arizona 74. And shortly after 8 p.m., the Sheriff's Office responded to a 911 call about the crash.
Deputies found an estimated 100-yard field of debris in the water northeast of the Waddell Dam when they arrived. The debris field was about a mile north of the 10-lane boat ramp, which is near the lake's marina.
"It looks like the plane went down right in the middle of the lake," Chagolla said.

kingbrutis
05-12-2007, 06:12 AM
Heading out there around noon. Any effect on boating today? Thanks JoePlane slams into Lake Pleasant
Authorities to search water for bodies today
Brent Whiting and Lindsey Collom
The Arizona Republic
May. 12, 2007 12:00 AM
Divers from the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office are expected to hit the water early today in search of bodies from a single-engine Cessna that crashed into the south end of Lake Pleasant late Friday.
Authorities said Friday that there was no immediate sign of survivors in the water, which is about 120 feet deep.
Lt. Paul Chagolla, a spokesman for the Sheriff's Office, said there was also no word on how many people were aboard the plane, where the plane left from or where it was headed. A witness who contacted authorities late Friday may be able to provide details, he added.
An officer from the Arizona Department of Public Safety reported seeing a low-flying plane while patrolling on Arizona 74. And shortly after 8 p.m., the Sheriff's Office responded to a 911 call about the crash.
Deputies found an estimated 100-yard field of debris in the water northeast of the Waddell Dam when they arrived. The debris field was about a mile north of the 10-lane boat ramp, which is near the lake's marina.
"It looks like the plane went down right in the middle of the lake," Chagolla said.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-12-2007, 06:34 AM
What is it about Lake Pleasant and planes buzzing it?
Is an airport nearby?
If anyone wants info if it'll be open, or restrictions:
Lake Pleasant Regional Park
41835 N. Castle Hot Springs Rd.
Morristown, AZ 85342
Contact Station 1-928-501-1710
Operations Center 602-372-7460
Fax 602-372-7465

squirt'nmyload
05-12-2007, 06:50 AM
What is it about Lake Pleasant and planes buzzing it?
Is an airport nearby?
If anyone wants info if it'll be open, or restrictions:
Lake Pleasant Regional Park
41835 N. Castle Hot Springs Rd.
Morristown, AZ 85342
Contact Station 1-928-501-1710
Operations Center 602-372-7460
Fax 602-372-7465
deer valley airport is really close by....mostly small planes fly outta there, plus alot of ballers with more money than brains :D
we've actually seen small jets buzz the lake also

squirt'nmyload
05-12-2007, 06:53 AM
Heading out there around noon. Any effect on boating today? Thanks Joe
have fun!!.....wakeboard tournament plus the coast guard demo this weekend...doing a few things to the boat today and we will be at canyon lake tomorrow :)

roln 20s
05-12-2007, 09:29 AM
This is a horrible story. We were cruising towards the Pleasant marina last night when the accident happen. At impact, the waves this crash created were HUGE. We knew something was wrong when there were no boats on the lake and we hit 6 foot rollers. The helicopters and rescue teams were there and even some of the onlooking boats were helping in the search. From what I heard, no one has been found yet. Horrible story and my thoughts are with the families.
Roln 20s

carreraelite
05-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Small Plane Crashes Into Lake Pleasant
May 11th, 2007 @ 10:45pm by Associated Press
Authorities said they found no sign of survivors after a small plane crashed into Lake Pleasant on Friday night.
The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office responded to a 911 call about 8:30 p.m. after several witnesses reported seeing a low-flying plane hit the lake.
Deputies found an estimated 100-yard field of debris in the water when they arrived.
Divers from the state Department of Public Safety assisted in a search and rescue operation but authorities said late Friday that there was no immediate sign of survivors in the water, which is about 120 feet deep.
Sheriff's spokesman Lt. Paul Chagolla said the search was called off for the night and would resume at dawn Saturday.
``We will be back out to do a dive operation and try to recover the wreckage and recover any bodies,'' Chagolla said.
Authorities said there was no immediate word on how many people were aboard the plane or its make, its destination or its point of departure.
Chagolla said a check of airports around the state did not turn up any overdue aircraft Friday night and ``we don't know who this plane is registered to.''

seanv
05-12-2007, 03:43 PM
damnit! jordy i think your....right...again. oooh that hurts.
i do believe the giant freshwater squid reached 10' out of water and grabbed the plane:D

LuckyStrike
05-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Was Out There @ 7:30 -8:00 This Morning. Nothing But DPS/NewsHelicopters Flying Around Looking For wreckage. I Never Saw Anything.

LuckyStrike
05-12-2007, 07:22 PM
have fun!!.....wakeboard tournament plus the coast guard demo this weekend...doing a few things to the boat today and we will be at canyon lake tomorrow :)
Missed You Guys Today!!! HOT SUNNY AND Full Of Fun

squirt'nmyload
05-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Missed You Guys Today!!! HOT SUNNY AND Full Of Fun
i wish we were there!!!...had to button up a few things with the boat today....took it to fuel up and didn't see that my trailer wires were wrapped around the trailer jack..pulled all the fukkin wires out of the 7 way when i turned:mad: had to add re wiring it to the list

Classic Daycruiser
05-13-2007, 08:19 PM
I was at the lake friday night and saw the plane over the water. (Diamond Star)
I was heading back to the marina and was just southeast of Max's point (Half way between humbug cove and the marina, on the east side of the lake). I first saw the plane just after it crossed the dam from the south (at that time it was about 150' above the water (navigation lights were off). Then the plane drop down to about 30' above the water, and when it was a beam the ranger station/dirty shirt cove, it banked to the west at approximately 70 degrees (more than 60 degrees) the tip of the wing was about 15-20' off the water. He was traveling very fast above the water (135 knts+). I lost site of them soon after they headed west (they had their lights turned off). I did hear them add power to the engine as they started to head west. I did not see the impact, as I was closer to the east side, and actually thought they had made it and turned to the southwest. It wasn't until I saw the news that I realized I had witnessed a plane crash.
It was about 8:30pm, It was completly black out, except for the City of Phoenix skylight to the south.
I am a pilot myself, an when I witnessed their low pass, the first thing I thought was this person has a lot of balls and even more experience.
I got a feeling the NTSB wil be interested in what I saw.
My prayers go to the families of those on board.

Chico&Zeus
05-13-2007, 08:52 PM
We got out there at about 10:00 Friday night...news crews and police everywhere. At first thought we heard that we couldn't launch, then a friend of mine said that he just launched and it was ok. A lot of fishermen out there, and it was PITCH BLACK!!!... stayed the whole weekend, saw divers on Saturday. Didn't hear any further news.

Big Warlock
05-14-2007, 07:01 AM
King Air went in. He was buzzing the lake and on the cell phone talking to his buddy on a boat. Last thing he asked them to do was flash a light so he could puin point where they were. Then he discovered the lake. Apparently he had over 10,000 hours and a commercial pilot.
And NO it's not me morons from Phoenix!!! :D

Jordy
05-14-2007, 07:13 AM
King Air went in.
That was the first report, then they said it was a rented the single-engine Diamond Star 40. Sure hope he took the rental insurance and waived the LDW. Chalk up another one to the squid. ;)
And NO it's not me morons from Phoenix!!! :D
Now I exclude myself from your moron comment, but I did think about calling you Friday night to make sure you weren't out flying, but it was after 9 and I figured the West Scottsdale location was on lockdown. :D :D :D

plaster dave
05-14-2007, 08:25 AM
I have been going to Mohave for 30 years and always remember air force jets buzzing the middle of lake so low that water was kicked up in there jet wash. It would scare the crap out of you but it also look bad ass.

Big Warlock
05-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Very strange
FAA: Pilot of crashed plane was buzzing friend on lake
10:05 AM Mountain Standard Time on Saturday, May 12, 2007
By The Associated Press
PHOENIX (AP) -- The FAA says the pilot of a plane that crashed into Lake Pleasant outside Phoenix last night was apparently talking on a cell phone with a friend in a boat while flying only ten feet above the water.
FAA spokesman Ian Gregor says the pilot asked the friend to shine a flashlight into the air so he could spot him, then crashed into the lake right in front of the boat.
The plane broke up on impact and Maricopa County sheriff's officials called off a search for survivors late last night. They're planning to resume what they are calling a recovery effort this morning.
Gregor says it isn't known how many people may have been on the plane.
The plane is believed to be a Raytheon/Beechcraft King Air turboprop rented from a flight center in Scottsdale.
The aircraft type can seat as many as 13 passengers and a crew of two and is frequently used as a commuter plane.
The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the crash.
(Lake Pleasant is about 20 miles northwest of downtown Phoenix).

Classic Daycruiser
05-15-2007, 10:45 AM
This report was wrong.
I was at the lake, and saw the whole tragedy unfold. The plane was a Brand new 2006 Diamond Star 4 seat single engine aircraft ($270K or $140 an hour to rent.
Accidents like this happen all the time. I've seen it more often in the boating world, than the flying world.
Very strange
FAA: Pilot of crashed plane was buzzing friend on lake
10:05 AM Mountain Standard Time on Saturday, May 12, 2007
By The Associated Press
PHOENIX (AP) -- The FAA says the pilot of a plane that crashed into Lake Pleasant outside Phoenix last night was apparently talking on a cell phone with a friend in a boat while flying only ten feet above the water.
FAA spokesman Ian Gregor says the pilot asked the friend to shine a flashlight into the air so he could spot him, then crashed into the lake right in front of the boat.
The plane broke up on impact and Maricopa County sheriff's officials called off a search for survivors late last night. They're planning to resume what they are calling a recovery effort this morning.
Gregor says it isn't known how many people may have been on the plane.
The plane is believed to be a Raytheon/Beechcraft King Air turboprop rented from a flight center in Scottsdale.
The aircraft type can seat as many as 13 passengers and a crew of two and is frequently used as a commuter plane.
The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate the crash.
(Lake Pleasant is about 20 miles northwest of downtown Phoenix).