PDA

View Full Version : Too Loud! Fix-it Ticket! Help...?

455Olds
05-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Had a freakin' martini drinking yuppy call me in for noise two nights ago. Water cop says I read 92.2 db... 90's the law. Told me that 92 is about double 90 so I need to cut it in half.
Any pointers how to calm the storm coming out of my Basset Long Collector OT headers behind a 455 olds? Already has the quiet baffles installed. Not sure steel wool or fiberglass are capable of cutting it in half? Thoughts...
Have 15 days to bring it in......

Jordy
05-12-2007, 05:40 AM
Told me that 92 is about double 90 so I need to cut it in half.
92 db's is actually more than double 90. 91 db's is double 90 db's and 92 db
s is double 91 db's.
:eek:

455Olds
05-12-2007, 05:45 AM
s is double 91 db's.
So basically what you're saying is that I'm f-d. Waterlogs it is.
At least for long enough to pass the test......;)

Old Guy
05-12-2007, 05:56 AM
s is double 91 db's.
NOT TRUE!!

Kachina26
05-12-2007, 06:19 AM
NOT TRUE!!That's a persuasive argument.

Jordy
05-12-2007, 06:51 AM
That's a persuasive argument.
Yep. I give up, just based upon that. :)
Either way, 90 db is pretty lax compared to what the noise nazi's are doing at Havasu. :notam:

cave
05-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Bassett makes an insert that kingda quiets down the OT's. They fit right inside the pipe. They dont quite the noise down much but it makes it look as if your making an attemp. I keep mine in the boat here in AZ just in case but so far The LEOs are too busy with the drunks and lake lice to bother with us. I'm sure they'll start to enforce this eventually.
If you live on that lake / river, get to meet your neighbor. It may be they feel left out. Offer them a ride. If they still are Richard Crainiums Have 396 or equivelent persons system Bump the subs in front of the crib. Works for me:D

TahitiTiger
05-12-2007, 07:27 AM
I know this will look ugly as hell but it worked for a fellow boater here in Salinas. He was running a wild 454 with bassets and got popped with the silencers in. The cure that worked for him, he shortened the bassets, had a muffle shop put a nice small flange on them. He then bolted a set of Borla mufflers on, and he passed fine. After he passed he took em off and kept em in the back of his truck.
I my self took the OTs off and went back to through transom.

jetboatperformance
05-12-2007, 08:48 AM
455 Olds ,It can be done just not inexpensively or easy. This is what it took to get my flatty to 87db (idle 1200) "California SAE Dock test". Over and above the " shot guns" it also has internal stainless wool pack collector mufflers and ansulary seat adjustable collector water injection (because headers don't run water at idle).In my case the motor acually "liked the muffler set up Tom
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/69%20Schiada/MVC-346S.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/jetboatperformance/69%20Schiada/MVC-343S.jpg

455Olds
05-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks all for the help. To my dismay, the logs are going back on today. And if she's gotta' stay that way, she's going up for sale. She's not perfect, and could use a little love, but if anyones looking, she's been posted on the SPAM board.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

455Olds
05-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Bassett makes an insert that kingda quiets down the OT's. They fit right inside the pipe. They dont quite the noise down much but it makes it look as if your making an attemp.
Already installed. Tried to explain that the Mr. Officer, but he really didn't give 2-$hits....

MudPumper
05-12-2007, 10:05 AM
I'd just put through transom headers before going to logs or selling the boat.:idea:

G-Body
05-12-2007, 11:24 AM
What lake/river was it on?
I usually boat on Hamlin lake by ludington. My dads taylor has through the transom logs and we have had people from shore yell "Does that boat have to be so loud" but no one has called the DNR yet.

SGV40oz
05-12-2007, 11:40 AM
leave it loud!!!Eff the ticket. If the box that says correctable is marked by a thirty pack come over to my neighbors house and he will sign it off. Works out tits...He does it for all my buddies.:D

Beer-30
05-12-2007, 12:21 PM
If you decide to go thru-transom, you don't have to go logs. Do something like this:
http://www.boatheaders.com/images/JET%20HEAD%20PRE.jpg
OR, this:
http://www.bassettracing.com/images/9001-1.jpg

squirt'nmyload
05-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Bassett makes an insert that kingda quiets down the OT's. They fit right inside the pipe. They dont quite the noise down much but it makes it look as if your making an attemp. I keep mine in the boat here in AZ just in case but so far The LEOs are too busy with the drunks and lake lice to bother with us. I'm sure they'll start to enforce this eventually.
If you live on that lake / river, get to meet your neighbor. It may be they feel left out. Offer them a ride. If they still are Richard Crainiums Have 396 or equivelent persons system Bump the subs in front of the crib. Works for me:D
just a heads up but hotrod sprint got a warning at lake pleasant on friday. they said something about starting to enforce the noise law because the new judge for that juristiction is a boater and doesn't like the noise when he goes out there:mad: :mad:

455Olds
05-12-2007, 02:58 PM
What lake/river was it on?
I usually boat on Hamlin lake by ludington. My dads taylor has through the transom logs and we have had people from shore yell "Does that boat have to be so loud" but no one has called the DNR yet.
Spring Lake near Grand Haven. Cop said they've been given orders to put more pressure on the noise ordinances this season.
As for through hulls vs. logs... I've already got a set of logs. Long term I'll do something different or sell it, but to appease the law, the log are probably my quickest/cheapest route.

Boatcop
05-12-2007, 04:56 PM
FYI....
Noise doubles every 3 decibles.
If the legal linit is 90db (86 @ 50' in AZ).....
93 would be twice as loud.
96 would be twice as loud as 93.
Also..noise level is cut in half for every 50'. 93db at 50' would be 90db at 100'.

Jordy
05-12-2007, 06:15 PM
they said something about starting to enforce the noise law because the new judge for that juristiction is a boater and doesn't like the noise when he goes out there:mad: :mad:
He's also a blow boater, just another FYI. Oh, and Arpaio has a boat slipped at Pleasant as well. ;)
FYI....
Noise doubles every 3 decibles.
There ya have it. It was once explained to me, or I read it on the internet, that it doubled with every decibel, but I will take BC's word for it as it's something he's trained and proficient with. ;)

FuelInMyVeins82
05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Had a freakin' martini drinking yuppy call me in for noise two nights ago. Water cop says I read 92.2 db... 90's the law. Told me that 92 is about double 90 so I need to cut it in half.
Any pointers how to calm the storm coming out of my Basset Long Collector OT headers behind a 455 olds? Already has the quiet baffles installed. Not sure steel wool or fiberglass are capable of cutting it in half? Thoughts...
Have 15 days to bring it in......
Kick his ass pay the ticket and hope they don't come back.

Rexone
05-13-2007, 02:16 AM
The 126124's (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-headers) do a pretty good job on bassetts with Water in them. They will take a little power though.

455Olds
05-13-2007, 04:47 AM
The 126124's (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=silencers-headers) do a pretty good job on bassetts with Water in them. They will take a little power though.
Never knew those were out there. I've got the 126132's in her now.... but they're obviously not doing enough.