PDA

View Full Version : Tapered shoe

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-13-2007, 08:11 AM
WHo is running them and why?

lilrick
05-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Are you talking about a back-cut shoe? Cuz if you are, it's intention is to lift the boat and air it out.

tahitijet
05-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Are you talking about a back-cut shoe? Cuz if you are, it's intention is to lift the boat and air it out.
a taper goes the other way reverse angle from a backcut..

78Southwind
05-13-2007, 02:12 PM
My understanding from what Tommy was telling me is that the Tapered shoe was more for a river boat to help keep the pump loaded in chop.

460 jus getn it
05-13-2007, 05:25 PM
My understanding from what Tommy was telling me is that the Tapered shoe was more for a river boat to help keep the pump loaded in chop.
I ran my tapper shoe yesterday and only unloaded the pump once in heavy heavy chop.

steelcomp
05-13-2007, 06:37 PM
A backcut shoe is typically used to create lift on hull designs that need some help. A tapered shoe is the opposite, and will help reduce lift, and keep the boat planted. Many v-bottoms, with their rounded keel and lifting strakes, have more lift than they need at higher speeds and may want a tapered shoe. Tunnels that have less wetted surface somtimes are lacking in lift, and often use a backcut shoe to help, but even they can get unstable at higher speeds, (when their aerodynamics start to have an effect) and want a tapered shoe to help stay planted. These are generalizations and just guidelines, as every hull is different, but hopefully will help in understanding the basic principles.