PDA

View Full Version : New Engine Block

Bradf
02-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Where do you guys buy brand new engine block? Im looking for a 454 bare block. I google'd for blocks, all i get are some cheap rip off wanna be GM blocks lol... dont want to buy some pos block. Im thinking of building a motor from a bare block. Ive never done it, dont know what im doing yet, but with some books and guidiance from the ***boat forums im looking to do it! shall be fun!

jmherbert
02-09-2006, 07:17 PM
Name brand (Merlin, Dart, etc.) aftermarket blocks are pretty stout, better than factory. If you want GM, get one from a dealer. Gen IV or VI, not V.

SmokinLowriderSS
02-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, first, it's not hard, but it's not exactly easy either. Lotsa small tolerances and ANYTHING wrong can make a very expensive noise at some point (usually sooner rather than later). First thing I'd advise is a buddy who has done this SUCESSFULLY before, a couple times.
2nd, I don't know what a "wanabe" GM block is, maybe a Ford or a Chrysler? World, Merlin, Dart, and others make some fine iron, and, if you are rich, make great blocks in that "other white metal" too (aluminum). Anywhere from $1100 to $3700, pick your poison. Summit sells 'em, Jeg's does too. Here's Sallee Chevrolet: http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html
There is an old time preference for a "seasoned" (used) block. The wisdom said some years of heat-cool cycles relieved machining stresses in the block. Right? Wrong? Who knows for sure. For MOST uses, I'd be as willing to build on a $200 unDAMAGED used block as on a $2000 new block. I'd think else if I was trying to build a 1000+HP blown racing engine perhaps.
There's a thousand choices when it comes to Big Chevy parts. You can spend money wisely and get a lot of bang for your bucks, or you can spend like a drunken sailor and get a lot of bling to go with your bang, bling only makes ya LOOK fast.

Big Boys Toy PE857
02-09-2006, 07:40 PM
jmherbert
do you have a reason for dislike of the mk v block? i just recently got a bowtie mk v 604 w/ dyno time only. is there something in particular i should be looking for?
t/y

jmherbert
02-09-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't have any personal experience with them, but i've been taught to stay away from them, due to parts availabilty and they were the 'smog' motors. However, after looking into it, I think it is the gen IV blocks to stay away from, because you can't use V or VI heads on them.
Hopefully some one who knows can clear this up for me...

BrendellaJet
02-09-2006, 09:40 PM
I dont know so much about the V & VI, but the IV has been in production for 40 years and is a SOLID foundation for building reliable horsepower. LOTS of parts available.

Fiat48
02-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Infomaniac knows what fit what between the Mark Series. I do know the mark V heads fit the Mark IV with a specific head gasket for that purpose. The only Mark I know what works is the Mark IV.

Rocket-J
02-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Check www.banderlog.com. There are a couple of used blocks there that would be good for a project base.
If looking for new block, call a GM Performance Parts dealer. Look at the new "Bowtie" motors. Many of them will accept parts from Mark IV and Gen V and Gen VI. They have a catalog with lots of goodies to research. I use John, at Fitzpatrick Chev, 925-689-4820. Al

Rocket-J
02-10-2006, 10:16 PM
I couldn't find the Banderlog thread. Call V-12 Engineering, 408-842-5335. He had 3 BBC short blocks (four bolt mains), with Dyno time only, that had been sitting around for a while. One sold so he should still have at least one. Al

fc-pilot
02-11-2006, 08:34 PM
jmherbert
do you have a reason for dislike of the mk v block? i just recently got a bowtie mk v 604 w/ dyno time only. is there something in particular i should be looking for?
t/y
The key here is that it is a "bowtie" block. The production blocks (that came in normal trucks and stuff) are not bowtie. The bowtie blocks (which ever one it is mark IV, gen V, or gen VI) can take any of the heads if you know which head gaskets to use. The production blocks don't interchange as well between the different series. The whole bowtie line is for performance/racing applications so you should not have a problem.
Paul

fc-pilot
02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Where do you guys buy brand new engine block? Im looking for a 454 bare block. I google'd for blocks, all i get are some cheap rip off wanna be GM blocks lol... dont want to buy some pos block. Im thinking of building a motor from a bare block. Ive never done it, dont know what im doing yet, but with some books and guidiance from the ***boat forums im looking to do it! shall be fun!
If I were you I would buy a complete motor and tear it down and rebuild it. That way you can at least get familiar with all of the parts you will need. The big thing is to find a good machinist and go with what he says. Don't just find the one that is the cheapest. Ask around with guys that live around you to find one you can trust. A good machinist will also help you with things you need to look for as you put it together. You end up paying for the machine work and the education that he (or she) will also give you.
Paul

Bradf
02-12-2006, 01:16 AM
If I were you I would buy a complete motor and tear it down and rebuild it. That way you can at least get familiar with all of the parts you will need. The big thing is to find a good machinist and go with what he says. Don't just find the one that is the cheapest. Ask around with guys that live around you to find one you can trust. A good machinist will also help you with things you need to look for as you put it together. You end up paying for the machine work and the education that he (or she) will also give you.
Paul
Great Idea! I think I will go this route, perhaps i can get a used one cheap. That way its cheaper fixing it when i goto turn it over for the first time and it goes "knock knock putt putt BOOM" haha!

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
02-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I have a couple 4 blt 454 bare blocks for sale
559-352-1309
Lee