PDA

View Full Version : Vin Scully....what can you say?

Baja Big Dog
05-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Just watching the Dodger game, Vinny doing what Vinny does, and doing it the best in the business!!:)
He loves the kids!!!!
This guy makes you smile when you turn on the game and hear his voice.....

Havasu1986
05-13-2007, 02:57 PM
I grew up listening to Vinny. Can't believe he is still working. Him and Chick Hearn will never be replaced. They weren't homers like the new guys.:(

acatitude
05-13-2007, 03:05 PM
showin my age I guess,,, yep vin and chick were the best. haven't heard anyone there equal... still hear vin once in a while. makes me feel like a kid again, lol

beach gomer
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Sorry, I love Chick but he was the biggest homer.He loved the Lakers.

Havasu1986
05-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Sorry, I love Chick but he was the biggest homer.He loved the Lakers.
Yea...Your probably right...but nothing like some of these new guys.:)

bead
05-13-2007, 04:10 PM
what a great game !

Trailer Park Casanova
05-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Funny, I was thinking the same thing today during the game.
Used to also love to listen to Vinny do the NBC NFL game of the week.

tamalewagon
05-13-2007, 05:30 PM
How could you possibly compare Vin to our (Padres) Jerry Coleman???
Here's a classic Jerryism: "It's a deep drive center field...back, back, back goes the 3rd baseman...foul ball!"
Let's see Vin beat that one! LOL. I don't think he could on his worst day. :D :D :D

Havasu1986
05-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Here's a classic Jerryism: "It's a deep drive center field...back, back, back goes the 3rd baseman...foul ball!"
Let's see Vin beat that one! LOL. I don't think he could on his worst day. :D :D :D
Didn't he manage the Padres for a season.:confused: :D

Coach
05-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Trust me Coleman couldn't hold Vinny's jock on a good day! Vin and Chick are and were two of the best in the business. When Vinny's gone it will be the end of and era and a very sad day in LA.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Hot Summer Los Angeles nites,, windows of the house open to a hot breeze, way before home air conditioning,,,
lying in bed, Vinny on the radio,,, Koufax pitching a perfect game, or Wills steals home plate,, or Drysdale brought in as a pinch hitter, hits a home run,,,,,,
Lost nothing in the telling to a 9 year old kid, way past his bedtime,,,

Havasu1986
05-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Hot Summer Los Angeles nites,, windows of the house open to a hot breeze, way before home air conditioning,,,
lying in bed, Vinny on the radio,,, Koufax pitching a perfect game, or Wills steals home plate,, or Drysdale brought in as a pinch hitter, hits a home run,,,,,,
Lost nothing in the telling to a 9 year old kid, way past his bedtime,,,
Close...but I'm thinking Garvey, Russell, Lopes, Cey, Baker, Wynn..era.:)

Trailer Park Casanova
05-13-2007, 06:04 PM
And they STILL had Don Sutton and Walter Alston.

RaceFace
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Yeah, thats my "kid" era too. Scully is tops and it will be a sad day in baseball when he's no longer behind the mic.

Havasu1986
05-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Yeah, thats my "kid" era too. Scully is tops and it will be a sad day in baseball when he's no longer behind the mic.
Ok...I will be dateing myself but I was at these games. 1978 World Series vs Yankees at Dodger stadium. Last game in 79 when Baker hit #30 to have 4 guys on the same team with 30 home runs. Garvey with Padres pass all time N.L. games played. Caught home run by Kennedy BTW. A. Rod hit 300 home runs.

Wheeler
05-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Let's not forget, Jimmy Lennon Sr.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Let's not forget, Jimmy Lennon Sr.
Yep, I remember him well.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10926

mrs.rvrluvr
05-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Vin is part of many fond memories I have from my childhood of listening to the game on the radio, and making my mom rush out to buy farmer john dodger dogs.

HavasuSelect
05-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Vin is part of many fond memories I have from my childhood of listening to the game on the radio, and making my mom rush out to buy farmer john dodger dogs.
Well put. He embodies everything that is great about the game. He is a true professional in every way. Part of what makes him great is you'll never see him badmouth or bash anyone. A true announcer is non-biased even though I'm fairly certain he's rooting for the Dodgers:D .