PDA

View Full Version : olds in a v-drive?

flatassbroke
05-14-2007, 04:15 AM
I have a 17ft sanger bubble deck flat that I sold to a guy a year ago and never recieved all the money for the boat so I went to his mothers house where he had it parked and "reposessed" my little sanger.The guy didnt drain the block, the LT1 block is scrap. I also have a 75 Tahiti with a good running 455 in it, I think I want to put in the sanger. My question is wich v-drive do I put in the boat, I have three top loaders for this boat, 1to1, 13%, or 24%, I dont race, I just blast around and pull a tube once in a while. The 455 has a mild intake and a 750 Holley.

Schiada Time
05-14-2007, 05:49 AM
You don't want to put that 455 in the Sanger. You are better off selling the jet boat complete and building a mild 454 BBC. More parts available and Olds motors have a bad oiling problem. Not to be a naysayer but I have never heard anyone say anything good about a 455. As for the V-drive I'll let more experinced V-drive owners chime in here as I am on my first V-drive.
Schiada Time

Marty Gras
05-14-2007, 07:36 AM
Sounds like you have all of the small block marine hardware, why would you change motors? Just get a bare small block motor, install one of those "Eagle" stroker kits, and run the boat! If you do have all the marine small block hardware, going to an Olds will cost way more than building a stroker small block! Oil pan? Water pump? External oil lines? Tail pipes? Crank coupler? Condition of Olds exhaust? Even a single carb 383" Chevy is able to run in the 80's!

flatassbroke
05-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Its just an extra boat I have and the 455 olds is just lying around. I wanted to know which v-drive to use.

63stevens
05-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Put the 13's in it

Moneypitt
05-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Put the 13's in it
I have 12s in my Olds powered Vdrive hydro. Rs are a little tight running over 70, but it is really quick to get there..........MP

Marty Gras
05-14-2007, 05:57 PM
You are right! You asked about "which V-drive", but I also read your title, "Olds in a V-drive?". Now, to answer YOUR question we need to know what kind of power and at what RPM you make power with the Olds? (what's in it?) Do you have props that you want to use? Will you be purchasing a prop to go with the gears? I don't know all of your 'problems' from your posts, but it sounds like you are making more problems as you go along. I'll step back and read all the other responces, because I don't want to help you become any more "Flatassbroke" than you already are.

Rattle Can Lou
05-14-2007, 06:13 PM
That's some funny stuff right there....

GofastRacer
05-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Wow, talk about a big time project and a waste of money, just throw a small block in it and go!..

Marty Gras
05-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Art! I wouldn't use the word "throw" with this guy! Minegar, santa is going to stick potatos in your tail pipes, if you pick on me!

GofastRacer
05-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Damn, guess I'm in deep kaka now!..:D

Moneypitt
05-14-2007, 07:37 PM
I agree Art. A SBC replacement would be cheaper by far. Not to mention the weight of the BBO.........It will probably require a whole bunch of changes to even use it for recreation, not to mention back up to the speed the SBC carried it. But.......It is his decision to make, and he has the Olds already. Now, what is he gonna do with the engineless jet boat?........

Marty Gras
05-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Ray, from what logic I've read, he's going to put the small block in the jet boat. Then he will sell it to one of his other friends that will not pay for it either! If this guy were a dog, I'd pick him up, give him a big hug and say; "stop chasing your tail Spike!" But he's not my dog!

Moneypitt
05-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Ray, from what logic I've read, he's going to put the small block in the jet boat. Then he will sell it to one of his other friends that will not pay for it either! If this guy were a dog, I'd pick him up, give him a big hug and say; "stop chasing your tail Spike!" But he's not my dog!
I thought he said the "friend' let water sit in the SBC and I assume the winter took care of the rest. My understanding was that the SBC was toast........Maybe an anchor for the jet?.........I have a Tahiti jet, so I was wondering about his, but mine is a 69, when Schuster was still making them....MP

Marty Gras
05-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Ray, I read "good running 455" and "sold a boat to a friend". I never read anything about any BOAT THAT ACTUALLY RAN? He may "put a bird bath" into the jet boat and "sell it to a friend". Since his first post, I've gotten the picture of "parts all over the backyard" and nothing ever actually running. Who in their "right mind" would tear apart a RUNNING jet boat, to repair a neglected "repo" flatbottom? In this case swaping mounts, and related hardware seem like "the long way around the mountain" to those of us who have actually done that kind of work. This guy may be "way ahead" of us all, but I don't think so. Remember, he asked about gear ratios! Maybe he really doesn't know his hat from his OLDS.

coolchange
05-14-2007, 08:17 PM
blocks for that are a dime a dozen. I just kicked on to the curb a while ago. Dont worry about 4 bolt. A low hp motor in that deal will run forever. Cheaper to redo the sbc. 1-1 or 13s depends on your prop. I'd proly run the 13's too.

GofastRacer
05-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Guess it all amounts to just "throw" a small block in it and go huh!.. LOL..:D

GofastRacer
05-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I agree Art. A SBC replacement would be cheaper by far. Not to mention the weight of the BBO.........It will probably require a whole bunch of changes to even use it for recreation, not to mention back up to the speed the SBC carried it. But.......It is his decision to make, and he has the Olds already. Now, what is he gonna do with the engineless jet boat?........
Yes indeed!.. BTW, the 52 boat is ready!...

flatassbroke
05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
That Tahiti jet boat looks like a family ski boat, not a low profile flat jet boat, I never use it and the 455 runs very well. Problemis the boat weighs as much as a buick station wagon, and wouldnt pull a g-string out of a dead mans ass! I have two other Sanger flats and I thaught I would drop the olds in the repo boat and try to sell it. Not many flats in Mich.

Moneypitt
05-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Yes indeed!.. BTW, the 52 boat is ready!...
I call foul Art. You can't be ready for Burley in the middle of May!!!! Its not fair.. You have to thrash right up until you're ready to leave.......Now go find something else to fix and act like a boat racer.....Boy, some people's kids....Ray