PDA

View Full Version : Slowing down

framer1
05-14-2007, 04:28 AM
Work (construction) seems to be slowing down pretty good on the central coast, what's it like in other places......so. cal or az etc. Not alot of new starts. Nobody in any hurry to get projects started.

Havasu Sun
05-14-2007, 05:05 AM
House starts here have really slowed down. The slow down started about 8 months ago. It seems things are starting to pick up alittle. Inventory for new completed homes is finally starting to go down. We are starting a new one today so lets keep our fingers crossed. We have taken the last 5 months off waiting for things to shake out.

Not So Fast
05-14-2007, 07:00 AM
You still see houses being built here but you also see the SAME houses sitting on the market for a long, long, long time and prices have dropped considerably. An article I read the other day said that gas prices are finally showing up in the housing game and that they are directly responsible for a nation wide downturn as people are just starting to realize how affected their budget is going to be from the outlandish prices we are seeing. Its a much more serious problem than most think because every thing we consume is going up !!! :( :( NSF

sleekcraft80
05-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Work (construction) seems to be slowing down pretty good on the central coast, what's it like in other places......so. cal or az etc. Not alot of new starts. Nobody in any hurry to get projects started.
I here ya about the slow down. I am a construction inspector for financial institutions and I just signed a contract last week for a large company and they still haven't given me any work. I am still looking for other lenders to get signed on with. In the mean time I will have to sell two of my boats just to pay the bills:mad: :mad:

framer1
05-14-2007, 07:23 AM
I was running 40 plus guys two months ago now down to 12. Seems like like I have alot of projects coming up but like I said nobody in any hurry. Guess I will break down and buy ins. and go boating:)

framer1
05-14-2007, 07:26 AM
You still see houses being built here but you also see the SAME houses sitting on the market for a long, long, long time and prices have dropped considerably. An article I read the other day said that gas prices are finally showing up in the housing game and that they are directly responsible for a nation wide downturn as people are just starting to realize how affected their budget is going to be from the outlandish prices we are seeing. Its a much more serious problem than most think because every thing we consume is going up !!! :( :( NSF
Funny how nobody will admit this is true. The stock market is still going off:confused: I think it time to get out of that too. imho Time will tell.

rvr_d8
05-14-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm in west Palmdale / Quartz Hill / West Lancaster side of the Antelope Valley, and there are still several tracks in progress and another huge area up the street currently being graded. KB and DR Horton and I believe Harris are the more popular (currently) builders in this area, that are works in progress.
It is just an observation, by someone who has to drive through tons off construction detours to get to work everyday. I'm not a construction worker......I just date them ;) j/k ;)
smile awhile

QuickJet
05-14-2007, 07:52 AM
Goin like a bat out of hell here in Utah. A buddy of mine owns a big cabinet shop with 400 employees.
They're working two shifts and at least 3-4 weeks out on new orders
Is your buddies name Dave?

sleekcraft80
05-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm in west Palmdale / Quartz Hill / West Lancaster side of the Antelope Valley, and there are still several tracks in progress and another huge area up the street currently being graded. KB and DR Horton and I believe Harris are the more popular (currently) builders in this area, that are works in progress.
It is just an observation, by someone who has to drive through tons off construction detours to get to work everyday. I'm not a construction worker......I just date them ;) j/k ;)
smile awhile
I heard last summer that there was going to be a lot of construction in the AV coming up in the following year. I limit my area to the Apple Valley/Hesperia area. In the paper last week there was an article about Calimesa building over 10,000 homes and the ironic thing is the builders such as KB, DR Horton, Centex etc... Are downsizing their crews. It doesn't make sense.
I used to date a lady in Lancaster awhile back. I drove there every weekend for six years.

Not So Fast
05-14-2007, 07:56 AM
Funny how nobody will admit this is true. The stock market is still going off:confused: I think it time to get out of that too. imho Time will tell.
One very big project by Rhoads homes out of Vegas i just read about has been put on hold and shelved for the time being, I hope fpr good to tell you the truth. It was a 30,000 home project in the Meadveiw area!! NSF

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-14-2007, 08:01 AM
I work for a geology firm and we do Phase 1&2 and grading for the big home builders like Centex, Dr Horton, KB etc. and business is down 35% from this time last year. That is a major drop. :( Noone is in a hurrry to finish the projects. Alot are on hold completely.
The booming area (for us anyways) is the desert, Coachella Valley area.
Hope it picks up. We are talking about layoffs. :eek:

rvr_d8
05-14-2007, 08:02 AM
I heard last summer that there was going to be a lot of construction in the AV coming up in the following year. I limit my area to the Apple Valley/Hesperia area. In the paper last week there was an article about Calimesa building over 10,000 homes and the ironic thing is the builders such as KB, DR Horton, Centex etc... Are downsizing their crews. It doesn't make sense.
I used to date a lady in Lancaster awhile back. I drove there every weekend for six years.
6 years?! Every weekend for a lady?! River lover?! Wow!
Where are more like you?;)
Gotta go, took the day off for DIY and the computer is distracting me! Have a great Monday.....count down to Memorial wknd!:D

sleekcraft80
05-14-2007, 08:10 AM
Where are more like you?;)
:D
I' still here!:)

OutCole'd
05-14-2007, 08:20 AM
It's real slow here in Vegas! :( Anyone need any trim??:D

speedneeder
05-14-2007, 10:05 AM
Not a residential builder. We are seeing an all time high in terms of back log with our commercial/industrical projects.