PDA

View Full Version : Info on Lake Conroe? & Travis?

Keith E. Sayre
05-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Anyone very familiar with Lake Conroe? Near Houston? Very curious to get
some info on it. Also, info on Travis? What type of boats are used there?
How important is speed? How rough is the water? What is the primary type
of recreational boating done there? fishing? cruising? racing? skiing? tubing? wakeboarding? What are the most popular sized boats and their manf's names? Are there speed limits on these lakes, noise limits? Are there
big hangout areas where everyone goes to be seen etc?
Sure would appreciate some help here.
Keith Sayre
Magic Powerboats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-7600

Impulsive
05-14-2007, 12:17 PM
You might want to visit www.teambajamarine.com
There are several fellows who call Lake Conroe their home base.

Jim Hall
05-15-2007, 04:57 AM
f you like crowded conditions and lake lice everywhere it's great.I have taken my jetboat there a couple of times and it was extremely rough and busy.I do hear that during the week it is ok.We live on lake Houston and stay on the lake or river.

Keith E. Sayre
05-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Thank you very much for your input, what I am really trying to establish is
will the Magic/Sleekcraft type of cats, deckboats and v bottoms be in demand at those lakes. They can be seen at www.magicpowerboats.com.
I've got a friend at Lake Conroe who is buying a 28' deckboat and keeps
inviting me out and is certain that we should be at the Houston boat show
and that we should have a dealership in that area or in Houston.
Just trying to get a feel for the market. Any input is appreciated.
Keith Sayre

rrrr
05-15-2007, 04:43 PM
Dallas is a better market IMO. Lake Lewisville has a performance boat crowd, the only one in TX I know of.
Also, Texoma is an hour away, there are quite a few hot boats, the Labor Day poker run is big.
The Dallas boat show is twice as big as Houston's. But, the only performance boats present are Fountain and Eliminator. There should be room for another player in Dallas.....I just don't have a feel for how many units you could sell here.

Keith E. Sayre
05-16-2007, 04:12 PM
thanks for your input, very much appreciated.
Keith Sayre

Old Texan
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
You might want to visit Clear Lake off Galveston Bay. Saltwater but a whole lot of performance boats.

Keith E. Sayre
05-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Just spent 4 days at Clear Lake and Lake Conroe and met the nicest people I
have ever met in my life.
A Special thanks to Gene and Keith Graves who showed me around and the
people at Papas at the lake who let us show off our sales brochures to their
customers.
Saw a great car show, ate some great seafood in Galveston, saw and
ate something at Hooters and ate the best steak of my life at a tiny little
town called Leona with population 416!! It' s by Madisonville I think which
seemed to be north of Houston. Only restaurant in town and I say hats off
to them! I think it's appropriately named "Leonas".
Great experience, can't wait to go back! Couldn't believe the beautiful homes
around the lakes and the nicest people I've ever met. I know I said that twice. Now I know why my brother has lived in texas for about 25 years!
What a righteous place.
Keith Sayre

taylormanss
05-21-2007, 05:07 PM
hey keith send one of your cats out here and I will gladly take it to the lake and run it for ya,you know kinda promote it kinda thing.

Keith E. Sayre
05-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I'll bet that 's all it would take!
keith Sayre

taylormanss
05-23-2007, 06:02 PM
yep

LakeRacer
05-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Keith,
Go to offshoreonly.com and look up a guy by the name of Clay Washington. He boats on Travis all of the time and knows the lake very well. He should have plenty of info for you. He may also know someone in the Conroe area.

RidinRed
06-16-2007, 09:11 PM
fwiw-
I just spent some time showing some folks from Austin around Mead. They were impressed by the body of water in the bays. Said Travis is more like upper Mojave being a damned up river. That it doesn't get as rough as some of what they say here in the wind (LV breeze).
If they had to guess, which is what i asked them to do...
There are a lot of bajas on Travis.
I think i may have to make the tow out to check it out :idea:

lynn
06-17-2007, 06:37 AM
the lake is dominated by Baja and Fountain a few Nordics and some Eliminators, I have seen 2 Advantage boats on there if you include mine, in about 3 more weeks I will have an Ultra on there, Magic should open a store in probably Frisco as they are Building a new Toll road from there to Pottsbore which is the heart of ***boats on Lake Texhoma.

freakdave
06-17-2007, 02:03 PM
I can see lake travis from my house. I really want the cat deck boat market to heat up here. There just arent any to show off. It would be a great market for deck boats IMHO. You will just have to get some boats out here to market especially during the poker runs, etc. I'm building a 509cid to drop in a cat deck. I'll be out in Havasu in October to visit all the boat builders. Feel free to drop me a line. Dave 512-680-6806

freakdave
06-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Mostly v-hulls on travis. Go fast boats are mainly Baja with some fountains, a few cigs, a few checkmates, some formulas, eliminator or two, couple of nordics here and there. We need some cat!! Lots of cruising, fishing, skiing, jetskis. Water usually isnt that bad. More of a long narrow style lake. There are a few places where people congregate like "Devils Cove". Lots of $$$ that live on the lake. As for size of boat you will see mostly 20-24 foot recreational boats like chapparal, crownline, cobalt, glastron, larson, etc. There is one fountain dealer and one baja dealer in Austin. Like i said earlier, give me a call for more details. Dave
Anyone very familiar with Lake Conroe? Near Houston? Very curious to get
some info on it. Also, info on Travis? What type of boats are used there?
How important is speed? How rough is the water? What is the primary type
of recreational boating done there? fishing? cruising? racing? skiing? tubing? wakeboarding? What are the most popular sized boats and their manf's names? Are there speed limits on these lakes, noise limits? Are there
big hangout areas where everyone goes to be seen etc?
Sure would appreciate some help here.
Keith Sayre
Magic Powerboats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-7600

Keith E. Sayre
06-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks so much you guys. and dave--I will. thanks again.
Keith Sayre