PDA

View Full Version : Msd 6al box or 6m2?????

Sanger d
06-09-2002, 11:27 AM
I have a 6al box that I am not using and I want to put it on my sanger flat. I notice that some of you guys use the 6al instead of the 6m2 which is the marine box. Is this safe, and or legal? should I buy the 6m2?
thanks guys.

Kindsvater Flat
06-09-2002, 06:25 PM
I wish I could help SangerD, but I'm still living in the past and running dual points! I think the big difference would be price. I would use the non-sealed unit if the cost difference was enough.

infotraker
06-09-2002, 07:58 PM
I just installed the marine sealed unit, cost a bit more but I dont have to worry about getting it wet. The said it would work in a bucket of water !

e-ticket
06-10-2002, 07:03 AM
I have heard of guys buying the automotive one to get the built in rev limiter and potting the unit themselves and haven't had any problems.

schiada96
06-10-2002, 08:07 AM
E-ticket that's a good idea what do I use to do it?

jordanpaulk
06-10-2002, 08:19 AM
I run the 6AL box in my boat. I talked to several people who said it would be fine as long as it was mounted in an area that it wouldn't have the opportunity to be completely submerged, unless the boat sunk of course. The 6AL is potted enough to handle the exposure of everyday driving in a car or truck, and if you think about it, they are probably exposed to more moisture on the road than tucked away in a boat. Between car washes, water puddles on the road, and even rain storms, I would think that a boat would be a drier place than under the hood. Save your money and go with the 6AL.
Jordy

e-ticket
06-11-2002, 05:51 AM
schiada96
Can use rtv silicone. Works fine.

Messy Drawls
06-13-2002, 09:11 AM
6al all the way. Like somebody mentioned before, It will work fine as a marine application. I don't think you'll see mine in a bucket of water but who knows someday!