PDA

View Full Version : When did Newport Beach/Pier become Ensenada?

C-2
05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
My father in-law has owned a surfboard shop on Newport avenue, next to the Crab Cooker, for about the past 35 years or so. We stop in from time to time, but never make it down to the beach/pierÂ….until this past weekend.
Wow is all I can say. Littered with trash and people – and of course Mariachi music. Just sad….never in my wildest dreams would I ever think of calling Newport Beach disgusting – but it was. Reminded me of El Faro beach in Ensenada/Rosarito.:(
On a positive note, surfboard sales have never really recovered after Black Tuesday or whatever they called it when Clark decided to quit.
So my business advice to my father in-law Â….shiatcan the surfboards and turn it into a taco stand and soccer ball rentals.:D:idea: :D :idea:

XtrmWakeborder
05-14-2007, 09:37 PM
LOL where have you been? Thats all of socal buddy!

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-14-2007, 09:41 PM
My father in-law has owned a surfboard shop on Newport avenue, next to the Crab Cooker, for about the past 35 years or so. We stop in from time to time, but never make it down to the beach/pierÂ….until this past weekend.
Wow is all I can say. Littered with trash and people – and of course Mariachi music. Just sad….never in my wildest dreams would I ever think of calling Newport Beach disgusting – but it was. Reminded me of El Faro beach in Ensenada/Rosarito.:(
On a positive note, surfboard sales have never really recovered after Black Tuesday or whatever they called it when Clark decided to quit.
So my business advice to my father in-law Â….shiatcan the surfboards and turn it into a taco stand and soccer ball rentals.:D:idea: :D :idea:
I would have to say it's been like that since they took over downtown los angeles, parks, beaches, schools,emergency rooms, and fruit stands oh and don't forget the Mayor.:D :D

sscoupes
05-14-2007, 09:45 PM
is that russel surfboards.is his name bob.

C-2
05-14-2007, 09:50 PM
is that russel surfboards.is his name bob.
Yup

SixDays
05-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Russell surfboards are sweet!!! I have three of them in my closet, and their customer service smokes that of Bruce Jones and all the other competitors!!! I will always buy from them...

BILLY.B
05-15-2007, 05:24 AM
When So.Cal became Southern Mexico!!!!. What I hate even worse is when I go to Lowe's and the PA commercial's are in spanish also. I knew I should of listened to my highschool spanish teacher more.

Cigalert
05-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Years ago you could ride a cruiser from the office over to hooters or malarky's and not worry about anything. Now when I ride the cruiser I get offered oranges, chee-clay and windshield cleanings.

catman-do
05-15-2007, 06:07 AM
Right around the Pier as well as the jetti at the wedge has been little mexico for years. Why do you think us whiteboys ride rusty a$$ beachcruisers, if its stolen its only $5 to replace!
BTW I've had 3 Russels as well. Good boards. The guys working there make me jealous, they used to always be drunk when I went in. Now Ive been on a Chaz the last 2 years. May get Russels to make a board modeled off this one.

VEGASBABY
05-15-2007, 06:18 AM
I was there 4 years ago, and my wife and I were walking along the beach and a diaper came floating up on the beach!:mad: I was pissed! I looked a round and Mexican families were everywhere! Dont get me wrong, I'm Mexican myself (born and raised here) And I love the "Real Mexican Culture" but cant for the life of me understand why you would come to the states to better your life and come to a beautiful beach and think you could trash it like that! I have not been back since. Huntington is were I go now.

westair
05-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Right around the Pier as well as the jetti at the wedge has been little mexico for years. Why do you think us whiteboys ride rusty a$$ beachcruisers, if its stolen its only $5 to replace!
BTW I've had 3 Russels as well. Good boards. The guys working there make me jealous, they used to always be drunk when I went in. Now Ive been on a Chaz the last 2 years. May get Russels to make a board modeled off this one.
Must be mexicans with alot of money if there living around that area.
I grew up there, never thought it would happen to that place

C-2
05-15-2007, 07:15 AM
The guys working there make me jealous, they used to always be drunk when I went in. Now Ive been on a Chaz the last 2 years. May get Russels to make a board modeled off this one.
That's too funny.....surfers are surfers no matter where you go....like in Hawaii. Not only do the salesmen show up drunk - if the surf's up - they just don't show up for days, and make no bones about it....quite a few "help wanted, no surf" signs up everywhere.
It's kind of cool going over to Hawaii with Russ cuz you get all these lifelong surf dudes who show up and start talking "shop", telling you these fantastic stories about traveling the world, surfing, partying, and making it thru the entire summer on like $300....it makes you wonder about your own lifestyle, lol.:)
I'm sure Russ will hook you up....and he finally got rid of most of the drunk guys:sqeyes: :sqeyes:

C-2
05-15-2007, 07:19 AM
:mad: I Dont get me wrong, I'm Mexican myself (born and raised here) And I love the "Real Mexican Culture" but cant for the life of me understand why you would come to the states to better your life and come to a beautiful beach and think you could trash it like that!
Exactly, half Mexican here too and agree with your comments. Damn trashcans are everywhere.
Maybe that drive to Havasu isn't so bad afterall:idea:

Big Warlock
05-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Apparently you guys haven't made a trip to Catalina lately! :D

sscoupes
05-15-2007, 07:55 AM
bought my first board from russell when i was about eleven from i think
paul h.also lenny f.worked there.they were accross the street then.blackies was a great place to surf back then.the beans have been comming for a long time.
cant stand it.bob knows about the good old days.

C-2
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
bought my first board from russell when i was about eleven from i think
paul h.also lenny f.worked there.they were accross the street then.blackies was a great place to surf back then.the beans have been comming for a long time.
cant stand it.bob knows about the good old days.
Dang, that's going way back - I've been around for about 20 years and don't recognize those names, what about Bobby A? He's over in HI
And yes, Bob has groomed a few protege's...

sscoupes
05-17-2007, 06:29 AM
back then clam chowder at the crab cooker was 35 cents a bowl.ask bob if he remembers walden wave boards on the other side close to the pier.

Cigalert
05-17-2007, 06:30 AM
Back then any house on the pennisula was under a mil

phebus
05-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Now you guys are getting back to my era. I remember the Russel "Brotherhood" from way back when. :D

rodnjen
05-17-2007, 06:34 AM
The city needs to crack down. You don't see that in Manhattan Beach, they don't put up with that sh*t. It's sad, I've lived in OC/SoCAl my whole life and I'm tired what is happening to our communities. I'm a Democrat and it still pisses me off.

little rowe boat
05-17-2007, 08:09 AM
I think they are driving down from Arlanza.:D

C-2
05-17-2007, 08:38 AM
I think they are driving down from Arlanza.:D
Most of their cars won't make it that far.
We live in La Sierra Hills, against the hill which seperates Norco/Riverside....Arlanza is a good .25 miles away, damnit:mad:

C-2
05-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Phebus and sscoupes should appreciate these:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/russell07.gif
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/walden01.gif

C-2
05-17-2007, 09:08 AM
The city needs to crack down. You don't see that in Manhattan Beach, they don't put up with that sh*t. It's sad, I've lived in OC/SoCAl my whole life and I'm tired what is happening to our communities. I'm a Democrat and it still pisses me off.
Yup, Hermosa and El Segundo too. I've worked with the City Attorney's office in El Segundo for years....interesting city. The very definition of "community", except for the part where if you don't belong - they're not shy about letting you know it:sqeyes:
Your Democrat line is but funny:D :) :D

heartless
05-17-2007, 10:13 AM
i would say...at least over 26 years ago... im 26 its always been like that...and i grew up on the pennisula... however i would say it has gotten worse... tourist/people dont respect the area nor the enviorment...

little rowe boat
05-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Most of their cars won't make it that far.
We live in La Sierra Hills, against the hill which seperates Norco/Riverside....Arlanza is a good .25 miles away, damnit:mad:
:D :D You couldn't get much closer, but at least you don't live their.:D

Lavey5150
05-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Russel boards are tuff as nails It's all I surf on..... the peninsula is heavily populated everyday w/ daily tourists (they don't live there) that don't give a shiat about the beauty of the town we live in.......they have to go home at the end of the day..on a bus or in the Nissan sentra w/ 15 people inside.....I walk 40 yards and I'm home from the lineup....That's how I deal w/ it ....Ha Ha tourist............have a nice 3 hour drive back...

SHOTKALLIN
05-17-2007, 04:14 PM
32nd street used to be my spot. Is that all focked up too?:mad:

Up 4 River
05-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Been in Russell a number of times. It makes me sad to hear everyone hating on the Newps. The thing I loved about good old 28th street was for 9 months out of the year there is no reason to worry about those people. I'm still down there all the time and barely ever see them. If you stay away from the spots where they try and pack 10 people into a Honda for the day and carry the ice chest with a Raider sticker on it down to the sand you're ok. In all reality you can avoid the people that bring down areas. They are only near both piers. Go a couple streets up or down and you're ok. The police should inforce it way better in my opinion. You can always tell when they walk into a bar with their dickie slacks or pressed white t-shirt. Somebody should have told them they forgot their sandals and boardshorts.

Boa1277
05-17-2007, 05:56 PM
I have worked in Balboa for 25yrs and I have seen them come and go, eventually the council lets the mayor know to crack down on brown and the cops start writing tickets for anything that looks like a immigrant. I like listening to you when you start calling streets, I remember listening to the AM report and if it was a pure West I was at Blackies, it is was coming from the South I was at the point on 18th, and on the smaller Southwest days I was enjoying the river jettys before they were screwed up. Wow talking about dating yourself, now I know I am getting old...LOL

Waist Deep
05-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Maybe the fing motorcycle cops should do something about it instead of writing tinted window tix!!
Newport sux, but so does everywhere else I turn~!

Pussywhippled
05-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I grew up on 34th Street and my parents still live there.
I really don't miss it...
Parking always sucks and if we go visit a parking place has to be saved and then we play musical cars.
All of the beans & rice come down from Costa Filty and go through the alleys trash cans collecting aluminum cans.
I used to work at Baldy's and out on the pier as a teen, and spent many nights out on the end of the pier, not the best place for a 14/15 year old to be.
Newport was bad then (84'/85') but I think it's just more evident now, since we're old enough to know the difference.

cc322
05-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Got out of that area along time ago, now we are in south county much nicer imo but it has been slowly making it's way down here as well.

Cs19
05-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Its not that bad, sure blackies looks like santa ana on weekends but its always been that way, just go up or down a few streets and its much better. they go there cause there is a parking lot and food nearby.
Why do all the mexicans go in the water then go roll around in the dry sand in their cut off jeans and enjoy that? they sit there all sandy all day long, I never understood that.:confused:
Go raiders.

Waist Deep
05-18-2007, 03:54 AM
Damn, there was an article about them Mexicans wearing their clothes in the water and why they do it. There has to be a good reason 4 it. I assume that after having 15 kids, you might not wanna be in a bikini or they havent started selling bikinis at the 99Cent store? Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe they have laundry detergent in their pockets.Hey, free wash!
Just to clarify, I don't really care, but it does kinda make em stand out.

C-2
05-18-2007, 06:40 AM
Typical Mexican rhetoric.
It was occupied by dinosaurs until the Indians braved it out. Then Spanish conquerors came along, impregnated the Indian women and created Mexicans. Then James Irvine kicked the Mexicans arses fair and square and set up his own little crib known as ORANGE COUNTY.
Guess he forgot about that part.:sqeyes:

Wheeler
05-18-2007, 06:49 AM
Typical Mexican rhetoric.
It was occupied by dinosaurs until the Indians braved it out. Then Spanish conquerors came along, impregnated the Indian women and created Mexicans. Then James Irvine kicked the Mexicans arses fair and square and set up his own little crib known as ORANGE COUNTY.
Guess he forgot about that part.:sqeyes:
Yeah, but the Fn,mexicans believe, it belongs to them. :devil:

catman-do
05-18-2007, 06:56 AM
I dont really care what the nationality is thats down there. I just think its disrespectful to trash the place. I see mexicans and white people do the same shite. Even the white people that live there and tote the coolers around behind their bikes and throw bottle into bushes and cig butts in the gutters.

Pussywhippled
05-18-2007, 07:06 AM
I dont really care what the nationality is thats down there. I just think its disrespectful to trash the place. I see mexicans and white people do the same shite. Even the white people that live there and tote the coolers around behind their bikes and throw bottle into bushes and cig butts in the gutters.
True, but the "white people" that live there and throw their trash are usually summer renters...

catman-do
05-18-2007, 07:19 AM
True, but the "white people" that live there and throw their trash are usually summer renters...
I think 50% of Newport is renters. The only people that can afford to live there are older people that probably dont smoke or drink, and work to much to afford there mortgage that they cant even enjoy it more that 1 day a week. When I was down there, we were year round, and many of the other year round renters would trash the place as well. I personally dont like Newport anymore. I like San Clemente and Carlsbad. Not as much traffic and you still get the "American Neighborhood" vibe.

Lavey5150
05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
If you lived there, you would know........We don't piss in our own sand box............99% of the trash you see is from someone who drove in there from the 91...951.........909.......and everywhere else..............

dumbandyoung
05-18-2007, 08:58 AM
My father in-law has owned a surfboard shop on Newport avenue, next to the Crab Cooker, for about the past 35 years or so. We stop in from time to time, but never make it down to the beach/pier….until this past weekend.
So my business advice to my father in-law ….shiatcan the surfboards and turn it into a taco stand and soccer ball rentals.:D:idea: :D :idea:
HAHA! I used to live in Costa Mesa and would ride my bike down to the beach every chance I got. Sometimes it really felt like Mexico.
Im gonna look for the pictures I had of them swimming in jeans and and old Mexican lady stirring a huge pot of beans on the beach.
I used to hate when Id see all the gangsters dressed all G'd out in front of Albertsons trying to hit on girls.
I like how the cops always bust them first for drinking on the beach. and would leave us "normal people" alone. haha...although we weren't being loud and obnoxious and using profanity in front of young children like them. ;)
And if theres no gangsters to bust, The cops look for the white sunglasess, guys wearing shoes on the beach and fliped up hats (909ers):D
oh and btw...Blackies is my favorite place. Pabst on tap! haha