PDA

View Full Version : Float Valve Question...

78Eliminator
08-29-2002, 06:21 AM
I was adjusting my float valves last night, trying to get ready for the weekend. Not matter how low I screw in the valves, the level is still too high. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have the wrong valves? Can I get longer ones so that I can adjust them lower?
This is driving me nuts.
Ps I have the boat at the exact same level as it sits on plane so that's not a problem.....
Justin

HBjet
08-29-2002, 06:34 AM
whenever my carbs are adjusted, the boat is always level. Not at an angle. Also, I don't have carb problems.
Level your boat, then adjust and see where that leaves you.
HBjet

Liberator TJ1984
08-29-2002, 06:34 AM
Justin ...whats your fuel pressure??

MikeF
08-29-2002, 06:48 AM
Justin, First check that the new floats are not getting filled w/ fuel (same as before.....it does happen even w/ the brass ones). Test them.
Try turning the needle/seat valve in further (not using the nut) w/ some tweezers (again, this is only temporary to see what affect it will have on the fuel level). The "screw" will hold the level in position when you tighten it.
Even though the fuel pressure you checked last time was @ 5#s. Lower it more to see what happens.
Still troubleshooting.......

78Eliminator
08-29-2002, 06:49 AM
Liberator TJ1984:
Justin ...whats your fuel pressure??7 lbs....

78Eliminator
08-29-2002, 06:56 AM
MikeF
[QB]Justin, First check that the new floats are not getting filled w/ fuel (same as before.....it does happen even w/ the brass ones). Test them.
Try turning the needle/seat valve in further (not using the nut) w/ some tweezers (again, this is only temporary to see what affect it will have on the fuel level). The "screw" will hold the level in position when you tighten it.
QB]Mike,
I held every float under water in a bucket for a minute or two and looked for bubbles. They were all perfect.
When I screw the valve all the way down, it gets to the point where it bottoms out (will not go down any farther) but the fuel level is still too high.
The fuel pressure can't be an issue because when I sit there for a few minutes with the fuel pump on, it never pisses into the block, the level stays at the same (too high) level but doesn't flood out.
Who sells float valves? Is this something I can pick up at a normal parts store. Maybe a couple are jacked or something?
Justin

78Eliminator
08-29-2002, 06:57 AM
HBjet:
whenever my carbs are adjusted, the boat is always level. Not at an angle. Also, I don't have carb problems.
Level your boat, then adjust and see where that leaves you.
HBjetSo when they're adjusted, you can sit a level on the bow of you boat and the bubble will be dead center?

Boater Bill
08-29-2002, 07:15 AM
Uhh...If I remember right turning the float screws "down" raises the floats,not lowers them.
You should be setting the float level with the engine running also.

MikeF
08-29-2002, 07:26 AM
BB, The pivot on 4150 carbs is at the end of the lever. When the needle/seat is adj down this lowers the float/fuel level.
The reason he is able to adj the fuel level on his boat while not running is because he has an electric fuel pump. wink Mike

MikeF
08-29-2002, 07:32 AM
78Eliminator:
MikeF
[QB]Justin, First check that the new floats are not getting filled w/ fuel (same as before.....it does happen even w/ the brass ones). Test them.
QB]Mike,
I held every float under water in a bucket for a minute or two and looked for bubbles. They were all perfect.
When I screw the valve all the way down, it gets to the point where it bottoms out (will not go down any farther) but the fuel level is still too high.
The fuel pressure can't be an issue because when I sit there for a few minutes with the fuel pump on, it never pisses into the block, the level stays at the same (too high) level but doesn't flood out.
Who sells float valves? Is this something I can pick up at a normal parts store. Maybe a couple are jacked or something?
JustinCheck the tabs on the floats that press on the needle. Maybe they are not positioned correctly.
Are the floats holley replacment parts or are they some aftermarket floats (they might not be designed well enough for the holley carb (patent infringement)).

08-29-2002, 08:20 AM
Check the 'O' ring on the needle/seat assembly, they will flatten out with age and allow a small amount of fuel to leak around the needle/seat. If it come out without resistance good chance the 'O' ring is bad.

78Eliminator
08-29-2002, 12:26 PM
WHo in SD county stocks Holley parts? No one local wants to help me dammit!
Justin

Hotcrusader76
08-29-2002, 12:37 PM
78Eliminator:
WHo in SD county stocks Holley parts? No one local wants to help me dammit!
JustinJustin,
I do not know of anyone who stocks these at all locally but me. I have one in stock, but this does you no good since you need two if not four. I sent you an email also BTW, explaining the situation.
Braswell is the closest to us, and they're in AZ. Kragen is your next bet, but I already called them as well to search all over SD County, even all the way up to you in Vista. :confused:
Email me if you have any questions.
-Ty

Screaming Pete
08-29-2002, 12:43 PM
J Dogg what about Neil at Performance Marine in spring Valley, 619 698 9605 or mike at Ultra rigging. Just a thought :confused:

Screaming Pete
08-29-2002, 12:51 PM
Holley tech support 270 781 9741 :)

78Eliminator
08-29-2002, 12:52 PM
Screaming Pete:
J Dogg what about Neil at Performance Marine in spring Valley, 619 698 9605 or mike at Ultra rigging. Just a thought :confused: Thanks Pete. Neil is convinced that I have a bad float valve o-ring........

Jordy
08-29-2002, 12:53 PM
Dammit J, are you ready to throw a match yet? I haven't ever heard of anyone having such bad luck with a set of carbs, especially Holley's...
Jordan

78Eliminator
08-29-2002, 01:15 PM
jordanpaulk:
Dammit J, are you ready to throw a match yet? I haven't ever heard of anyone having such bad luck with a set of carbs, especially Holley's...
JordanI'm about ready to throw them in the ****ing trash and get a single dominator......

lakesmodified
08-29-2002, 04:26 PM
78Eliminator:
I was adjusting my float valves last night, trying to get ready for the weekend. Not matter how low I screw in the valves, the level is still too high. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have the wrong valves? Can I get longer ones so that I can adjust them lower?
This is driving me nuts.
Ps I have the boat at the exact same level as it sits on plane so that's not a problem.....
JustinBelieve me, I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, but someone mentioned "did you have the engine running" and someone else replied, "he doesn't need the engine running because he has an electric fuel pump" Either way, mechanical or electrical fuel pump, you need to have the engine running, because if the fuel level is already at the screw or above, lowering the float isn't going to do anything with the fuel that's already in the bowl.. Unless if the engine is running, and using up the excess fuel. Hope this helps..

MikeF
08-29-2002, 07:04 PM
Justin[/qb][/QUOTE]Believe me, I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, but someone mentioned "did you have the engine running" and someone else replied, "he doesn't need the engine running because he has an electric fuel pump" Either way, mechanical or electrical fuel pump, you need to have the engine running, because if the fuel level is already at the screw or above, lowering the float isn't going to do anything with the fuel that's already in the bowl.. Unless if the engine is running, and using up the excess fuel. Hope this helps..[/QB][/QUOTE]
Yeah, LM you're right! You're not a smart ass and I do stand corrected.
As long as you drain the fuel from the bowl after each adj of the needle/seat and then start the pump again to refill the bowl....making sure the fuel level is just below the hole, It should be correct.
:) Mike

Jordy
08-29-2002, 07:07 PM
But if the engine is not running, the levels are adjusted as low as possible and fuel is still pouring out of the sight holes, there is a problem. I am hoping that is what it is, even though this whole deal sucks, because Justin is pulling his hair out trying to find the parts he needs for this. Hate for it to be something like this that was overlooked.
Jordy :D

Snowboat
08-29-2002, 08:01 PM
Pull the needle out and see if there is the slightest suggestion of an indentation in the black part of the needle (pretty close to invisible, get a teenager to look). That is all it will take for the needle to not work correctly and overfill. If there is, buy spring loaded, Holley needle and seats. If there isn't take the bowl, with the float still inside, turn it over and make sure it is level or slightly lower. This will tell you if your float tab is correct.

dannyUALsanger
08-29-2002, 10:41 PM
Snowboat is right. After reading through this whole thread it sounds like your needle and seat need to be replaced. I hope you're able to find the parts. With all the Holley carbs I have, I just keep a supply of rebuild kits and spare parts on hand for things just like this.

08-30-2002, 10:53 AM
Of all the Holleys I've rebuilt 80% of the float problems have been the outer 'O' ring, the other 20% has been a small P.O.S. stuck in the needle/seat assembly. The Viton tip has hardly ever caused any problem unless you are running some sort of strange fuel additive that isn't compatabile with Viton. IMO the spring loaded assembly is not needed for marine use, these are used in off-road race applications. For those strange fuel additive uses try a steel tipped needle, these are available from Holley for alcohol applications, part no. 18BP-57AS [.110" inlet] sales no. 6-95

SchellSchock
08-30-2002, 02:47 PM
Worldwide Auto on Fletcher has a good supply of Holley parts

Hotcrusader76
08-30-2002, 02:54 PM
SchellSchock:
Worldwide Auto on Fletcher has a good supply of Holley partsIn light of all this carburetor craziness at gunpoint. TPC Racing will be stocking extra floats, needles/seats, and Holley as well as MAX jets. My supply has been limited these last two weeks and if it was gaskets you needed, then come on by, I've got tons of those.
It just kills me to see someone trying to get something I offer and I'm not able to stand-up to the request that fast, on top of having an incorrect order shipped to us from the supplier.
Sorry guys, TPC Racing failed at that one.
[ August 30, 2002, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]