PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issues help and moral support...

kcvega
05-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I was trying to track down an intermittent starter problem. It's an '01 496 HO. Last year I had no problems but this year it started out occasionaly just clicking and not starting. I cleaned the battery connections real well and ran it in the driveway a long time warming it up, shutting it off and restarting it. It worked flawlessly in the drive but when I took it to the lake first thing it did was not start. It clicks but doesn't crank. Battery voltage is a little low at 11.5 on one and 11.8 on the other battery. I always had my Perko switch in the ALL position. Now I find my Perko switch is not working in position 1 but works fine in ALL or 2. Now if my Perko switch is laying down horizontal it works in position 1 but if I push it up vertical it cuts off. ???? any ideas?

ratso
05-15-2007, 04:58 PM
I was trying to track down an intermittent starter problem. It's an '01 496 HO. Last year I had no problems but this year it started out occasionaly just clicking and not starting. I cleaned the battery connections real well and ran it in the driveway a long time warming it up, shutting it off and restarting it. It worked flawlessly in the drive but when I took it to the lake first thing it did was not start. It clicks but doesn't crank. Battery voltage is a little low at 11.5 on one and 11.8 on the other battery. I always had my Perko switch in the ALL position. Now I find my Perko switch is not working in position 1 but works fine in ALL or 2. Now if my Perko switch is laying down horizontal it works in position 1 but if I push it up vertical it cuts off. ???? any ideas?
Phase out the Perko switch. Sounds like it is bad or you are losing voltage through it. I've had a few fail.

ANXIETY ATTACK
05-16-2007, 03:11 PM
get some one to hold the key in start, take volt meter and place - on - batery post, place + lead on starter battery stud and look for volts, if you have battery voltage at this post starter or sylenoid is bad, if no voltage go to circuit breaker on harnes that bolts to starter, if no then to battery sw, and work you're way back to battery. next check ground, inbetween cable ends you should have no more than .2 voltage drop, and by the way a fully charged batery will be at 12.6 to 12.8 volts if you have 11.5 volts, battery IS 50 % DISCHARGED, not 10% the ECM in on engine requires at least 9.2 volts while cranking to fire coils and injectors

YeLLowBoaT
05-16-2007, 03:16 PM
I start checking the resistance of all your wires and connections... might just have a bad perko, but I've seen cables that looked fine.

ratso
05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
I replace probably a half dozen a year. We just towed one in off the lake today, and it sounds like his is bad too...

kcvega
05-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Getting a new switch tomorrow and hopefully that's it. The starter looks a little harder to change what with all those water hoses and such. Put one battery on my charger all day and brought it up to 13 volts. Got it on the other one tonight so that will help too. I hate troubleshooting.