PDA

View Full Version : New guy seeks advice......

Buckwild
05-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Ok, I live on Folsom Lake and spend quite a bit of time in Tahoe (1.5 hour dr) This will be my first boat, have raced bikes, desert vehicles etc, I understand the learning curve in powersports and always try to respect it. Heres where im at: I love the look and performance of the Cats, Im drawn to the Ultra 26, or 23, the eliminators, DCb etc. In have two young kids and one teen and a wife who is very active, I know they will want to get pulled around but were not interested in a wake boat. I like to go fast. I also like to throw a fly line out to some bass now and then. I dont mean to start a rock throwing contest here but would you guys lean towards a performance deck boat or a traditional v? For Vs I like the Hallet 27s Howard bow rider etc. I want a high performance family boat that I can do everything on. My budget could go to the high 90s but id like to be smart for my first purchase. I also dont want to feel like I need more boat in a year. I have no problem with the secondary market. Any advice is apreciated, Sorry for the rambling newguy post but im sure many of you have figured alot of this out-Thx Buck

YeLLowBoaT
05-16-2007, 12:31 AM
I would buy a used bow rider with a v8 thats under 10k to start( very ez to find), a low profile boat with a larger out board or even a larger jet boat.
All of which would be relativly cheap( compared to some of the boats you mentioned in your post) to buy and operate. That way you will find out if you really enjoy this hobby( and paying for it).
The best boat I every owned was the one with the littlest horsepower. I would love to have one just like it now.

clearfork
05-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Yes sir,
That ole sayin about a boaters most favorite day.....
Just take your time and do your homework. You will probably change your mind a couple of times but your gut will steer you right. BY all means buy a used boat first there should be many pristine, well maintained boats near you.
Remember to look at the whole package, trailer , motor , type etc.. one thing may catch your fancy, but remember something as little as a crappy trailer may ruin the experience.
find a buddy who is into boats to go with you, Most people who are into it, like to look and tire kick and would love to tag along.
My first boat was 22k,, it has gone way up from there.I have bought 4 boats in 5 years. If I were you that is where I would start and then figure out if you really want to drop some change later. Like keep the 20-50 k boat for a year then upgrade again.
The fun part is looking, but you have mentioned some nice boats.
Take some rides,and see what fits you/family the best.
There are some pretty sweet performance decks, cats and V's that will cure your itch for 90k or less. Have fun, I promise you it will be the best time you and your family will have.
MP

shippingguy
05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
If you are going to do a decent amount of watersports and towing I would steer towards the V-bottom. A cat is not your best boat for watersports. If you do go cat get trim tabs for towing. The Howard is a very nice boat. There are alot of good deals out htere on used right now that have barely been used. A nice set up would also be the Ultra 24 Stealth and also the new Ultra 26 Stealth which should hopefully be available within the next couple of months. Good luck with your search. Many are going to come on here and knock other boats and praise others. In the end you need to do your own research and buy what is best for you and your family.
Mike

Havasu_Dreamin
05-16-2007, 11:10 AM
My budget could go to the high 90s but id like to be smart for my first purchase.
Would need to go used if you wanted either of the Howard Bullets if that is your budget...

justfloatn
05-16-2007, 11:18 AM
It sounds like with just your family you will have five people on-board. If each kid brings a friend and you and your wife bring another couple you will need to look in the 25' to 28' open bow range. I have a 23 open bow nordic and it can get full real quick.
One of the biggest things I look at is water access in and out of the boat. A billet swim step looks cool but does not give you or the kids a safe distance from the prop. Look at the swim step design.
I too like the new deck boats from Ultra and Howard. I wonder about the slow speed, tubing/wakeboarding, driveability of the cat hull. A V-hull may be a better choice?? I realy don't know:confused:
As the others noted, You may want to start with a used boat and get an idea of what you like and what type of boating you end up enjoying the most.
I boat on Folsom, so let me know if you need any help looking at a used boat.
I am on my third boat and have fixed dry rot...:mad:

Havasu_Dreamin
05-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I too like the new deck boats from Ultra and Howard. I wonder about the slow speed, tubing/wakeboarding, driveability of the cat hull. A V-hull may be a better choice?? I realy don't know:confused:
With our Howard deck once we are up on plane we can stay on plane at 22 MPH...

It's Only Money
05-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Go used with your first boat and stay well under your $90K budget. You will have to learn lots of new skills such as docking, rafting with other boaters, launching and retrieving, etc. and doing so with a high dollar boat will definitely bum you out when you ding it a few times. A used, low end boat it the perfect learning tool. You also won't take the huge depreciation hit that all new boats have to take regardless of the manufacturer. Look for lots of space as you will need it until you learn how to do without on board.
Good luck.

Troubles No More
05-16-2007, 01:45 PM
You will find that your kids will want to ski, wakeboard and this is tough to do with a power/fast boat.
With 90k ,You could by a used 30-40K Malibu, Supra, Sanger 21-23ft for your skiing, tubing enjoyment and find a speed boat with the remaining money if you have the storage. Good luck

acatitude
05-16-2007, 09:11 PM
probably any 24-26 ft v-bottom with decent power will fit your needs. but then youll be sorry you didnt buy my howard when we are all out at folsom:D :D good luck you have a lot of choices and decisions. now about a recent post id spend the majority on the cat to go fast and find a cheapy ski wakeboard boat to haul around all the kids and spilt junk all over the boat........;)

acatitude
05-16-2007, 09:12 PM
I would buy a used bow rider with a v8 thats under 10k to start( very ez to find), a low profile boat with a larger out board or even a larger jet boat.
All of which would be relativly cheap( compared to some of the boats you mentioned in your post) to buy and operate. That way you will find out if you really enjoy this hobby( and paying for it).
The best boat I every owned was the one with the littlest horsepower. I would love to have one just like it now.
you dork;)

watergun4u
05-16-2007, 09:35 PM
I would say that, If you are wanting a new boat, and dont want to go used, I would go with the Ultra 24 v bottom, they are a great boat and a bitchen ride, and I no it would fit all that you want to do, as per your first post,I used to build boats for them and have been in the 24 and let me tell you, it's a sweet ride, and performs very well, get ahold of John West at Ultra, and set up a test ride in the 24, or a different boat of choice but go with the 496 power plant and a XR drive I am sure you will be very pleased!
P.S John when he buys a boat from you , I'll take 3 large t-shirts ok :D

Just foreplay
05-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Ok, I live on Folsom Lake and spend quite a bit of time in Tahoe (1.5 hour dr) This will be my first boat, have raced bikes, desert vehicles etc, I understand the learning curve in powersports and always try to respect it. Heres where im at: I love the look and performance of the Cats, Im drawn to the Ultra 26, or 23, the eliminators, DCb etc. In have two young kids and one teen and a wife who is very active, I know they will want to get pulled around but were not interested in a wake boat. I like to go fast. I also like to throw a fly line out to some bass now and then. I dont mean to start a rock throwing contest here but would you guys lean towards a performance deck boat or a traditional v? For Vs I like the Hallet 27s Howard bow rider etc. I want a high performance family boat that I can do everything on. My budget could go to the high 90s but id like to be smart for my first purchase. I also dont want to feel like I need more boat in a year. I have no problem with the secondary market. Any advice is apreciated, Sorry for the rambling newguy post but im sure many of you have figured alot of this out-Thx Buck
BW, I would have to agree with the majority and definately buy a 2nd hand boat..There are a lot of new skills to master, and this will be a good way to get your feet wet so to speak..
You mentioned a lot of really good/ great boats...But it's going to come down to function, practicality and needs..I have owned 5 boats myself, my latest "baby" is a 28ft Nordic Heat "V" hull.. It's got the stabbin cabin..:D and all the stuff I wanted/ needed, or at least the basics so I can up grade from there..:D :D
Some people prefer the open bows, some the cats, and somes of us V's...
But that is where function, practicality and needs hits the water...
The advantages of buying a 2nd hand boat are numberous:
1. Not taking the hit for depreciation...
2. Not taking the full hit on luxury tax
3. Many previous owners usually do up grades, and that's just money in your pocket..
4. Insurance is usually cheaper, they go off the value of the boat. Refer back to item #1
5. Not having to stress so much about the pristine condition while having kids..As they say chit happens...
6. Saving quite a bit of coin, and can put that into accessories and or up grades...I.E. wake boards, ski's, tow ropes, Whipple chargers.:D
The list goes on..
But it comes back to function, practically and needs...
Not sure if you have any friends that have boats that you stated, but if you do, I would suggust doing some personal testing...If not PM me and I'll get U out on the water, but the beers on U..:D :D :D

RiverDave
05-17-2007, 02:24 PM
If it were me and doing what you described I'd look at
hallett 240 (used)
25 Nordic Rage (new or used)
24 Ultra Stealth Open Bow (new or used)
23 Dana (new)
25 Shockwave (used)
You can get any of these boats for 50 - 60 K depending on new / used and power that's in them.
I'm sure there's a 100 more boats I'd put on that list, but those just kinda came to mind.
Incidentally, not one of those boats would be considered an "entry level" boat by any means. On the flipside though, I've always been of the opinion that I'd rather have something less with all the options, then something more bare bones.
RD

Buckwild
05-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful replies, Ill do my homework, regarding ultra they have a nice used 24 deck in inventory that has alot of goodies. I know the Vs are much better for wakeboarding but I sure am drawn to the cats. My youngest are 2 and 5, teen is 16 and plays national level volleyball (kept really really busy) so im not sure how much hardcore wakeboarding we would really be doing. More likely pulling idiots around in some kind of inflateable device. ( I saw that one designed to take off and fly... how crazy is that thing?) The wife likes catching air and hauling ass as mutch as I do.Could the deck boat suffice? Still pull a skier or a boarder but without the big wake? Am I talking myself into the boat I want?
Also I wish I was practical enough to buy a 10k boat but honestly I do have an EGO and what ever I buy can be used but it does have to have some degree of BAD ASS factor.
Thanks again Hopefully Ill get to meet some of you norcal guys and as far as buying beer, Patron or whatever in retrun for a few test rides..... well that sounds like a bargian to me, Ill cook the tri tip as well.
Or ill trade you some hotlaps in a class one desert car.
Buck

Just foreplay
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful replies, Ill do my homework, regarding ultra they have a nice used 24 deck in inventory that has alot of goodies. I know the Vs are much better for wakeboarding but I sure am drawn to the cats. My youngest are 2 and 5, teen is 16 and plays national level volleyball (kept really really busy) so im not sure how much hardcore wakeboarding we would really be doing. More likely pulling idiots around in some kind of inflateable device. ( I saw that one designed to take off and fly... how crazy is that thing?) The wife likes catching air and hauling ass as mutch as I do.Could the deck boat suffice? Still pull a skier or a boarder but without the big wake? Am I talking myself into the boat I want?
Also I wish I was practical enough to buy a 10k boat but honestly I do have an EGO and what ever I buy can be used but it does have to have some degree of BAD ASS factor.
Thanks again Hopefully Ill get to meet some of you norcal guys and as far as buying beer, Patron or whatever in retrun for a few test rides..... well that sounds like a bargian to me, Ill cook the tri tip as well.
Or ill trade you some hotlaps in a class one desert car.
Buck
Sounds like you are using the right thought process..
There are a lot of bad a$$ boats out there...
Good luck with your endevours
Hit me up when your ready...:D

BigTicket
05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
I am also out at Folsom and was doing the same thing last year that you are doing now. I went with the V hull and since it was my first boat, I went used. I found a great deal on a boat down in Upland CA on Craigslist. Been pretty happy and the speed is about 70mph with two people but most of the time I can do 65-68 with four. Best advice, take your time and look at the whole package.
I chose the Commander 26' Signature. It fit my budget at the time and it looked good to me. One thing I can tell you is try and stay with a graphic scheme on your boat that wont get dated fast. Some boats are hard to resell because the graphics look out dated.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb38/BigTicket17/100_2111.jpg