PDA

View Full Version : So much for pay "uncensored radio"......

Rod-64
05-16-2007, 12:23 AM
If you liked O&A is not the point.....we pay for this and for this to happen is insane. I'm cancelling my 2 radios.
What next????:mad:
So much for satellite radio being a medium where shock jocks can get away with anything. XM Satellite Radio (XMSR) announced Tuesday that the network was suspending Gregg “Opie” Hughes and Anthony Cumia and ceasing to broadcast their “Opie and Anthony” show for 30 days effective immediately.
The two came under fire last week after they aired a segment that featured a homeless person saying he wanted to have sex with Condoleeza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth. The two even joked about Rice being raped and punched in the face. (WeÂ’re not going to link to their comments, but for those of you who want to hear exactly what they said, the audio can be easily Googled.)
Although the shock jocks apologized on MondayÂ’s show, XM did not seem satisifed with their remarks.
“XM Radio deplored the comments aired on “The Opie & Anthony Show” last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology,” the company said in the statement.
“Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday’s broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them,” the company added.
The Opie and Anthony controversy could not come at a worse time for XM, which has agreed to merge with rival Sirius Satellite Radio (SIRI). That deal needs to get the approval of both the Federal Communications Commission and Justice Department - and there is a growing sense that regulatory opposition may kill the deal. Several members of Congress have also come out saying that they are against the merger.
It just goes to show that even for satellite radio, where hosts can curse and use other objectionable language since they are not being broadcast on free “terrestrial” radio, racy comments can get on-air personalities in trouble.
So at the risk of angering many readers who flamed me when I suggested that there was no way Sirius or XM would hire Don Imus after CBS (CBS) fired him for his racist and sexist remarks about the Rutgers college womenÂ’s basketball team Â…I told you so.
The fact that XM was willing to suspend Opie and Anthony is proof that offensive programming could hurt even satellite radio, a medium that does not depend on advertising dollars as free radio does. XM and Sirius do have to worry about losing subscribers if shock jocks go too far.
The suspension also demonstrates how scared the satellite radio companies are of looking like the poster children for bad behavior at a time when XM and Sirius will depend on the goodwill of the government to green-light their merger.
Many readers argued that Opie and Anthony got away with a lot because of the fact that people have to pay for satellite radio and suggested that Imus could do the same.
But itÂ’s really starting to look like all radio hosts, whether they work for free radio or satellite, are going to be held accountable for controversial comments. And XM is making it clear that if they have to sacrifice Opie and Anthony in order to have any hope of getting approval for the Sirius merger, they will do it.

Outnumbered
05-16-2007, 12:34 AM
I'm not a big shock-jock fan but I agree with you. The whole Sat Radio thing has been a big bait and switch. Get all the subscribers on with promises of no commercials, no sensors, etc. and then slowly work the format back to FM-style bullshit. I've been thinking of ditching the XM too but I still like to listen to SIRIUS on the Dish Network system at home. SIRIUS sounds cleaner and has no commercials. I hope the merger does not go thru.:mad:

Jbb
05-16-2007, 02:40 AM
Kinda reminds you of the early days of cable tv......

kingbrutis
05-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Yea, big fan of O&A. On paltalk and everything. I am keeping my xm, because I think Ron and Fez are the best show on radio. O&A have said and done much worse. The comments werent even thiers. The religous right and the far left are the same thing anymore. I dont even understand. If it was publicity stunt, like alot of the fake "suspensions" in radio used to be, it completely backfired. I think alot of this is bullshit politics to due with the merger. Later Joe

Reaper1
05-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Freedom of Speech.....................just watch what you say.:rolleyes:

RitcheyRch
05-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Sad but true. Figured was only a matter of time before the censors starting making noise about the satellite radio broadcasts. Afterall, they need something to do with Stern being off regular radio. :D
Freedom of Speech.....................just watch what you say.:rolleyes:

RiverToysJas
05-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Kinda reminds you of the early days of cable tv......
You're old! :eek:

Jbb
05-16-2007, 06:55 AM
You're old! :eek:
Indeed.................