PDA

View Full Version : Where's Glen Shoeman and Warlock?

CircleJerk
09-02-2002, 10:02 PM
I thought I'd try to find the original owner of my 76 Barron Sprint by Rich Hallett. Glen had Reath Custom Engines build a LS7 with hidden nitrous and set a drag record in the late 70's at 110 mph with carburetors. The boat was light blue and yellow pearls and gold anodized hardware and named the Warlock. Glen, I'm told, had a starter-alternator business and may have relocated in the Seattle area. I would love to ask him about the boat set up especially why it has an 11 inch plate and the box and engine are set way back! The block is at 25 in and V-drive at 75 in from inside of transom. If he is out there, would you like your boat back or the original LS7? It's not working well as a circle boat with its current set up since it flys on the straights and slides in the corner. Some fool said I need more horsepower! I told him he needed a brain re-torquing! Any Help Out There For The Snap On Jerk......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

old rigger
09-03-2002, 09:46 AM
CircleJerk,
It's a long shot but you could give Joe and Del Reath a call. They might know his where abouts. Still have a shop in Long Beach...562-429-6901

old rigger
09-03-2002, 09:56 AM
CircleJerk:
I thought I'd try to find the original owner of my 76 Barron Sprint by Rich Hallett. CircleJerk,
What's the history behind a Barron Sprint by Rich Hallett? Everyone knows the history of Barron boats built by Nick Barron, and Hallett Boats built by Nick after he bought the name Hallett from Rich. But I didn't know that Rich sold Barron's stuff under his 'Hallett' name.
What's the scoop?

CircleJerk
09-04-2002, 12:08 AM
thanks old rigger for the response. I was fortunate to discover the 2nd owner of my boat who had pictures of my boat in front of Joe Reaths shop in Downey, Ca in April of 78. Here he was given the sales pitch and info from Glen Shoeman, the original owner. He said Rich Hallett had done the hardware including a stainless steel rudder and bellhousing hand made from a chunk of 2 inch alum and HEAVY duty underwater gear. I assume, since he was going drag racing that Rich had an active roll in making this hull a winner. I also guess that this is why his name was hand painted on the rear deck just below 'Barron Sprint Hull by Rich Hallett' All the other paper work keep mentioning Rich for each piece of hand fabricated stuff.. What I think I'll do is take your advice and call Reath's and use their job number that is stamped on the engine parts. I know Marvin Miller did the hidden Nitrous and the 'Swede' did the paint. I thought it was worth a try to find out more as to WHY they made such a heavy boat to go racing if indeed this was raced at all! By the way, the trailer had built in fuel tanks so it could be fueled easily with an electric pump. Wish I could post pictures. Jerk

old rigger
09-04-2002, 08:14 AM
Circlejerk,
sounds like a great boat!! Would be nice to have something that Rich was that involved in. Very cool.You have to figure out how to post some pics of it.
Joes shop has always been on Signal Hill in Long Beach. It use to be on Cherry Blvd, but in recent years as Joe and Del have cut back, they have a much smaller place now on 28th st.
There was a speed shop in Downey back then called Service Center. Maybe the pic was taken there? Regardless, it's always great to have old pics to go along with the boat.

CircleJerk
09-13-2002, 12:02 AM
WOW! Happy ending to my search in sight. I just received an email from this boats original owner and son and they both appear to be interested in bringing her back home. Just thought I would thank Hot Boat or whoever works this site cause it gets results!! WE had another race boat owner track down an owner on another web site I wont mention and it gave me this idea. You never know unless you try, right JD? I really didnt want to move all the hardware to make it turn better when there are so many circle boats out there that need a good home and are already set up. Now if we can make a deal I will be looking for a new boat over the winter and Glens boat will have all of its original hardware in its original place! Thanks guys for helping!! Jerkster :D :D :D