PDA

View Full Version : Vdrive setup on aV hull

DEL51
09-12-2001, 11:53 PM
I have a 19ft eliminator sprint hull with a v type hull.This is a Virgin hull and I was wondering if this could be set up for a V drive application.I have seen this hull used in jet drive applications.There is a small delta pad at the bottom of the V hull.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks
DEL51

captain
09-14-2001, 06:00 AM
if the stringers go to the nose,giving u something to bolt 2 and u can fit the geometric"s inside the hull why not Originally posted by DEL51:
I have a 19ft eliminator sprint hull with a v type hull.This is a Virgin hull and I was wondering if this could be set up for a V drive application.I have seen this hull used in jet drive applications.There is a small delta pad at the bottom of the V hull.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks
DEL51

Bad Ass Flat
09-14-2001, 07:37 AM
Del51, the problem with doing the V-drive thing is that #1 it is going to be tough to figure out placement of all parts involved. Mainly the V-drive, strut and motor. #2 the v bottom V-drive tends to rock and back and forth that is why you don't see but a handful of them. THey are out there but when trying to set up a V-drive you may want to stay with a boat that doesn't have such a prominent V. Just my 2 cents. Jim Lange has set them up before. He is out of SIMI valley (Hi Tech Marine) (805)583-2656

superdave013
09-14-2001, 08:36 AM
Another thing to look at is the lifting strakes. They are not the same for a v-drive. I know the guys at Rayson Craft run the strakes all the way to the back on all of their boats except the v-drives. My schiada is the same way. The center strakes don't do all the way to the back. Jim Lange would be a great guy to talk to about it but Jim Wilkes right here at Hot Boat is very in the know too. His # is 714-540-8908. Hi runs Wilkes marine and also builds Silverwing boats that are v-drives with pretty deep v's. I don't know what Badass means by rocking back and forth. My Schiada has a 15 deg v and rides very well. But he is correct that if the strut & v-drive are not located correctly your boat will not work correctly.

126driver
09-14-2001, 03:21 PM
Superdave, BAF is just used to "doink-doink-doinking" until half track. Take it easy BAF, just a friendly jab from a circle racer! Believe me, I have my own set of problems - just ask my crew!
Scott

superdave013
09-14-2001, 09:21 PM
At least he's racing! I sure do miss my ol' flatbottom and racing with the NJBA.

DEL51
09-14-2001, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will call the people you recommended. I do have full length stringers and they are spaced 26 inches apart.Thanks again and I will let you guys know what advice is givin.DEL51

126driver
09-15-2001, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by superdave013:
At least he's racing! I sure do miss my ol' flatbottom and racing with the NJBA.
Yeah, I know the feeling. My boat's been upside down on a dolly more than rightside up this season.
Scott

e-ticket
09-16-2001, 06:52 AM
Jim Lange at Hi-Tech has set up 2 v-drive boats and will do the set up my 74 Howard I am restoring.

Bad Ass Flat
09-17-2001, 07:59 AM
126 driver, Did you say you are not racing because you have been playing with your dolly upside down and from behind?

126driver
09-17-2001, 08:59 AM
<sniff> That hurts. Nah, been dumping so much dough in the boat that I can't afford a decent "dolly".
Scott

DEL51
10-23-2001, 12:33 AM
Hello folks,I made some phone calls about this setup. I was told that a hull like this is pretty much for jets only.I will pop out a couple more hulls and save them for that purpose.Jim Wilkes was very helpful in helping me figure out what would be required to make it work. This hull was set up at one time for a v-drive and I was told that the gearing was set up for a 330 horse 454 and a tunnel rammed big block was put in.The extra power caused the hull to roll and "dig in" causing it to dip in the water. He said it could be made to work,however,I lack any kind of expertise in setting up these drives. I talked to him about what I really wanted in a boat and settled on the Idea of a GN type boat. I have an engine and now all I need is to find a boat. Please give some sources as to where I could find thes type hulls. I was told to look for a biesmeyer or raysoncraft.Thanks,DEL51
[This message has been edited by DEL51 (edited October 23, 2001).]

DEL51
10-23-2001, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by DEL51:
Hello folks,I made some phone calls about this setup. I was told that a hull like this is pretty much for jets only.I will pop out a couple more hulls and save them for that purpose.Jim Wilkes was very helpful in helping me figure out what would be required to make it work. This hull was set up at one time for a v-drive and I was told that the gearing was set up for a 330 horse 454 and a tunnel rammed big block was put in.The extra power caused the hull to roll and "dig in" causing it to dip in the water. He said it could be made to work,however,I lack any kind of expertise in setting up these drives. I talked to him about what I really wanted in a boat and settled on the Idea of a GN type boat. I have an engine and now all I need is to find a boat. Please give some sources as to where I could find thes type hulls. I was told to look for a biesmeyer or raysoncraft.Thanks,DEL51

superdave013
10-23-2001, 06:25 AM
I would look for something set up ski race style. The GN boats do not run transmissions and the drive shaft is connected to the balance. They do this so the prop tourqe help them in the turns. A ski race boat will have a two speed trans with netural and reverse. Also they will have a little deeper v. Not much but a little. Raysoncrafts set up with a trans are nice. Also look at Schiadas, Howards and Spectras. Oh, one will cost you lots, lots more than the same boat with a jet. And I think they are wrth every cent! I have a 20' Schiada and I love it. The 21' Schiada river cruiser was the king of the river for years. Here's a pic of a 100+MPH 21' Schiada. http://free.***boat.net/hbcove/19/2/04.jpg

schiada96
10-23-2001, 06:46 AM
Superdave don't you love that boat. Lee sure does some nice stuff. I wish mine came out that good.

superdave013
10-23-2001, 07:17 AM
I checked out that boat at the last v-drive regatta. It looks even better up close! Now is the time for me to totaly redo mine, gel coat and all. But I just don't have the money! So, when you see a 20'er with an older gel coat and a new pimpin turbo engine stop and say hi!

schiada96
10-23-2001, 07:24 AM
I'm going to pull my motor apart this
winter and check it out. When I did it I didn't have a lot of money to do the good parts inside, just 7/16 rods with good bolts and an eagle crank. It makes a lot of boost and I'm a little worried about it. I think I'll try and rig some kind of boost control on it.

SPECTRABRENT
10-23-2001, 09:44 AM
DEL1,
If you are looking for a 19 Ft GN hull call Howard. Also, Eliminator made a 19 ft hull called a Formula this boat is the 19 ft Spectra and it was raced as a GN boat and Speed Sking hull.
Brent

DEL51
10-23-2001, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the input.I would like a project boat rather than a new one.I will keep looking.Maybe I could talk to one of the manufacturers about getting a trade in.If I do get a new model without engine,how much woud it cost?Thanks again.DEL51

riverdaddee
11-01-2001, 09:06 PM
DEL 51 YOU CAN CONTACT JOHNNY WITSED AT RACESON CRAFT IN GARDENA CALIF. AT 310 769-0210 HE RACES AND RIGGS V-DRIVES JUST BRING YOUR CHECK BOOK HE CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!!!!!!!!! RIVER DADDEE

superdave013
11-01-2001, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by riverdaddee:
DEL 51 YOU CAN CONTACT JOHNNY WITSED AT RACESON CRAFT IN GARDENA CALIF. AT 310 769-0210 HE RACES AND RIGGS V-DRIVES JUST BRING YOUR CHECK BOOK HE CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT!!!!!!!!!!! RIVER DADDEE
It's Rayson Craft. Did Johnny get back in his race boat after that near death exp. he had?

riverdaddee
11-04-2001, 08:46 PM
Super Dave to answer your question no he hasn't started racing but he is in the process of building a new RAYSON CRAFT!!!!!i'm sorry about my spelling i no spell to good. this new racer is susposed to be NICE!!! later ,RIVER DADDEE!!!!!!!