PDA

View Full Version : Gear/Prop Pitch Selection

Brewer
11-22-2000, 12:55 PM
Anybody have experience with gear/pitch selection and performance? My boat is 19' Schiada V-bottom, has 15% over gear w/ 11x15 Menkins 3 blade, runs (ran) mid 80's @ 5600 RPM. Motor is being rebuilt and expect 600 HP @ 6500 RPM. Would like to keep RPM's there or slighly below. Suggestions?

superdave013
11-22-2000, 03:33 PM
Hey, I have a Schiada too. Mine is a 20'er. You should be pretty close now but might want to try some 18's. I run bigger gears myself. I have 37% with an 11 x 16 two blade menkines. A 461" twin turbo big block chevy spun them 5,500 rpm. I'm stepping up to a blown injected 572" deal so I'm going to try some 40's. What degree box do you have? I have some 12 deg. 29's that you could try. Not doing me much good as my boat has a 10 deg. box in it. I plan on trying to trade them for some 10 deg. 40's. Oh, by the way I make a slick top bearing puller that makes getting the case apart a snap. It sure beats using a screwdriver! Let me know if you need one. My e-mail is valveautomation1@earthlink.net

spectras only
11-22-2000, 03:33 PM
Hi Brewer, before you make any changes to your gear/prop setup, give Dave a call at california marine[open till 4o'clock pacific time][604-278-1880],he used to have a Schiada V-drive and very knowlidgeable about V-drives.I would leave your steel Menkens prop on and maybe change to18/22% overdrive later if you going to have excessive RPM.Your speed figures must be speedo readings because your present rpm/prop/speed not accurate.You didn't mentioned your present HP.Guess between 400-500?

Brewer
11-28-2000, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info and offer, but I have a 10 degree box as well. What does the puller cost? Originally posted by superdave013:
Hey, I have a Schiada too. Mine is a 20'er. You should be pretty close now but might want to try some 18's. I run bigger gears myself. I have 37% with an 11 x 16 two blade menkines. A 461" twin turbo big block chevy spun them 5,500 rpm. I'm stepping up to a blown injected 572" deal so I'm going to try some 40's. What degree box do you have? I have some 12 deg. 29's that you could try. Not doing me much good as my boat has a 10 deg. box in it. I plan on trying to trade them for some 10 deg. 40's. Oh, by the way I make a slick top bearing puller that makes getting the case apart a snap. It sure beats using a screwdriver! Let me know if you need one. My e-mail is valveautomation1@earthlink.net

Brewer
11-28-2000, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info, will give Dave a call and see what he says. Speed was based on speedo from another boat, but thought was pretty close. My calcs show 86 MPH, assuming 5% slip. How are you calculating speed? Originally posted by spectras only:
Hi Brewer, before you make any changes to your gear/prop setup, give Dave a call at california marine[open till 4o'clock pacific time][604-278-1880],he used to have a Schiada V-drive and very knowlidgeable about V-drives.I would leave your steel Menkens prop on and maybe change to18/22% overdrive later if you going to have excessive RPM.Your speed figures must be speedo readings because your present rpm/prop/speed not accurate.You didn't mentioned your present HP.Guess between 400-500?

spectras only
11-28-2000, 01:16 PM
Hi Brewer, your slip is more likely in the 15-18% range that makes the difference in calculations for speed.You should call Dave now,because this is a good time.He is much buisier in the morning and can spend more time talking to boaters about their setups.

superdave013
11-29-2000, 12:27 PM
I sell them for $40.00. That's 15 bucks cheaper than Casale lists them for. give me your e-mail or semd me one at valveautomation1@earthlink.net and I'll send you a pic of it. I also have some instructions and exploded view of the v-drive that I can send you.

Brewer
11-30-2000, 12:39 PM
Did just talk to Dave, and must say he was extremely courtious and informative. And your right about the slip being higher. Will probably test the boat with existing gears and then change to 22%. Thanks, again Originally posted by spectras only:
Hi Brewer, your slip is more likely in the 15-18% range that makes the difference in calculations for speed.You should call Dave now,because this is a good time.He is much buisier in the morning and can spend more time talking to boaters about their setups.

HM
12-22-2006, 02:19 AM
I sell them for $40.00. That's 15 bucks cheaper than Casale lists them for. give me your e-mail or semd me one at valveautomation1@earthlink.net and I'll send you a pic of it. I also have some instructions and exploded view of the v-drive that I can send you.
You still selling puller $15 cheaper than you-know-who? :D

Konabud
12-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi,
Don't want to jack your thread but I've been around the boards for awhile now and am putting together my first V-drive so I thought I might as well jump in and ask the same question. I have a '63 16' Brendella flat and we're going to be putting a 375 to 400 HP small block Chev in it. It's probably pretty heavy for the size and I'm switching the (toploader) V-drive from 24% to 8% on advise I got from a couple of people. I'm wondering where I should start for a prop. I'd probably like to stick to a 3 blade because it's just going to be a play boat. I don't really care how fast it goes, I really just want it to be able to carry the nose and not porpoise.

superdave013
12-22-2006, 12:05 PM
You still selling puller $15 cheaper than you-know-who? :D
nope