PDA

View Full Version : serious ? jets vs V-drive

ck7684
05-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Setting all rivalry aside, what are the pros/cons of jets vs V-drives? I have a jet and love the responsive handling. I've never driven or ridden in a V-drive (there arent many of either in these parts!!) Do V-drives handle as well?? Looking for in general answers not pure racing nit picks :)

dmontzsta
05-17-2007, 09:00 AM
This thread could go on and on forever. But if you are asking about handing (ie: turning, etc...) It depends on the application. If you have a flatbottom it is going to turn better than a jet. If you have a hydro it might not turn as well. :)

vdriver4ever
05-17-2007, 09:21 AM
You don't hardly hear about guys going from v-drives to jets, its always the other way so that should say a lot about what your asking.
If you took a stock 18 foot jet with a 454 chevy and gauged it against a stock 18 foot v-drive with a 454 chevy there would be no question as to what out performs what.
I would guess for every dollar you invested in the v-drive for performance your going to get about .65 to .75 cents of performance from the jet. In other words you can get a jet to run hard but it will cost money.
To me there is nothing like the feel a v-drive can give you from the feel in the wheel to the one in your butt.

Flat Hall'N
05-17-2007, 10:15 AM
LilRick can tell you all about it!!

Fiat48
05-17-2007, 10:16 AM
You'll get bias opinions on both. Your best bet is to ride in both and then you will know.

YeLLowBoaT
05-17-2007, 10:23 AM
You don't hardly hear about guys going from v-drives to jets, its always the other way so that should say a lot about what your asking.
If you took a stock 18 foot jet with a 454 chevy and gauged it against a stock 18 foot v-drive with a 454 chevy there would be no question as to what out performs what.
I would guess for every dollar you invested in the v-drive for performance your going to get about .65 to .75 cents of performance from the jet. In other words you can get a jet to run hard but it will cost money.
To me there is nothing like the feel a v-drive can give you from the feel in the wheel to the one in your butt.
then again there is more parts to buy for a v drive. Having had both, I can tell you they cost about the same per mph. I don't care if it has a jet pump, v dirve, direct drive, oar, pattel, i/o, o/b or a sail... I just enjoy being out on the water.

lucky
05-17-2007, 10:43 AM
why settle for one or the other ??? - I'd just buy a bigger garage

gunslinger
05-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I have had a Hondo XH-511T v-drive and a 19' CP gullwing. Both great boats. I have a 18' gullwing now that is getting a 557 cid Chevy with some spray. I like the jet better for low water conditions at the river, but most of the time you would not have any problems running the v-drive anyways. Enjoy what ever you have.

Unchained
05-17-2007, 01:04 PM
I've had both. I just sold the jet. Not totally for performance reasons either. I'm not convinced the V drive is going to accellerate as hard as the jet did from 20 to 90 mph. I am convinced the v drive is going to pull harder from 90 mph to top speed. I probably will never top it out anyways so ultimate top speed is not a main concern. I'll get my friend John Haas to take it to top speed for me. :D It'll be like a moped for him.
After running the v drive tunnel hull for a summer I was real impressed with rough water handling, low rpm effortless cruising, and better fuel economy (yes it is true).
I didn't realize until I got one the amount of lift the boat gets from the prop. The boat feels more nimble than the smaller jet hull did to me.
A big factor that I never did like about the jet was the lack of steering when you back off at high speed. I had ANOTHER anxious moment last fall and I told myself enough is enough.
I determined last season that I was happier with the 1983 Daytona than I was with the 2003 Stealth. Eliminators are the best quality of the boats I've owned.
Jets are good for shallow water running but that is seldom a problem for me. Safety is a non issue, the prop is so far under the boat you probably couldnt reach it anyways.
V drive negatives, Drive line takes up a lot of room in the boat. Noise and vibration have not been a problem for me. Trans took care of the other negatives.
Their not for everyone. Some folks are just better off with a Bayliner.

lilrick
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM
LilRick can tell you all about it!!
:D Yep, I've had both boats as well. I'll never own another jet boat.(unless it's free)

05-18-2007, 08:52 AM
V-drives are not for everyone. It takes a level of skill to drive one that not everyone has. And if you do not have that skill and a certain "respect" for flatbottom v-drives and treat it as such it can and will kick your ass. You need to drive one to appreicate what they are. Don't ride in one as you will not get the real effect of what these boats can do. The people that can drive a flat well make it look easy but don't be fooled, it ain't as easy as it looks.

ck7684
05-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the great answers!! :D

VDRIVERACING
05-18-2007, 08:23 PM
I can't bight my tongue any longer... Vdrives are what jets want to be when they grow up. Jets became popular because they were a cheap alternitive to vdives when low profile boats were selling like hotcakes in the 60's and 70's. Sure, there are some wicked fast jet boats. On the other hand, you can put a jet engine in a school bus and it'll go fast too. Whoever marketed these things were geniuses in my mind. Imagine selling a boat that couldn't turn unless you had the gas pedal buried. Alternitively frightening at times, and then simply frustrating at low speed weaving back and forth into the marina.
Of course, there is the 'runs in shallow water' thing... :rolleyes:

GofastRacer
05-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Now you know better than that, it's called "fine tuning the impeller" depending on the grit of the sand and gravel that is!..:D

River Rat 005
05-19-2007, 04:04 AM
A jet is a piece of cake to drive, but cruise at a higher rpm thus use more gas than a v-drive. Jets take more hp to run the same speed as a v-drive. A jet is a dream in the dock or tight areas as you can inch them into anywhere by working the shifter. Jets have brakes. Just us reverse. A buddy of mine did at cruise speed. Said he almost ended on the deck. To me it seems like 6 to 1 and a half dozen of the other.

killerbeez
05-19-2007, 04:56 AM
I have a jet for the sole purpose of the kids and it is cheaper to find in the for sale adds.More for the reason they are cheaper to find.

Highlimit9000
05-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I took a friend of mine out in my V-Drive for the first time. He had only been in Jets prior, he wasnt even aware of what a V-Drive was. He was grinning from ear to ear. He could not believe the difference in feel, acceleration, and handling. He said he would get no other boat. I owned 2 Jets prior to going in my first V-Drive, I was easily hooked after. As said earlier though, V-Drives are not for everyone, they are very high maintenance boats, and they really take alot of time behind the wheel to master them. Esp, Big HP ones! Go ride in both. You will then know what is for you...

squirt'nmyload
05-19-2007, 01:12 PM
I can't bight my tongue any longer... Vdrives are what jets want to be when they grow up. Jets became popular because they were a cheap alternitive to vdives when low profile boats were selling like hotcakes in the 60's and 70's. Sure, there are some wicked fast jet boats. On the other hand, you can put a jet engine in a school bus and it'll go fast too. Whoever marketed these things were geniuses in my mind. Imagine selling a boat that couldn't turn unless you had the gas pedal buried. Alternitively frightening at times, and then simply frustrating at low speed weaving back and forth into the marina.
:sleeping:...you have got to be kidding, right???? it's too bad that most of the vdrives in phx are trailer queens cause i'd really like to see them run
i like them both...it's all a matter of what you are looking for out of a boat i guess...............................sorry, i'll go back to just jets now :D

disco_charger
05-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I have both. Did you ever have a jet? I can spin my jet in place at low speed in the marina. My old Howard was a bitch in the marina, turning it off to put it back in gear, and restarting it every time. I love the v drive, I just bought another one, and will probably sell my jet, but your statements aren't all that on target. ;)
The whole 3 moving parts thing is a nice plus too. Not too efficient, but the wife is a whole lot more comfortable driving a jet when I ski. :)

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-19-2007, 09:34 PM
And here is Disco charger's favorite video (http://www.v-drivevideo.com/movie/discojames.wmv) :) :devil: :)

disco_charger
05-20-2007, 02:25 AM
I said in my post that the jet boat was less efficient. I just said it's much easier in the marina than my old flatty was. Besides, that's not bad for a jet with a worn out pump (pre pump rebuild) and a garage motor. :D As I recall, James raced that boat. He'd better beat me.

dmontzsta
05-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Is that the James/Mark boat? If so I rode in that boat and it was a nice ride. I think he raced it one season and actually uses it as a ski boat now. From what I remember it is a pump gas 454 with t-ram and dual carbs. :) Nice boat.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Thats right Don, pump gas and No blower (unlike that nasty little jet boat:D ). James raced it a little in gn and did very well. :)

Warp Factor
05-20-2007, 01:57 PM
V-drives are not for everyone. It takes a level of skill to drive one that not everyone has. And if you do not have that skill and a certain "respect" for flatbottom v-drives and treat it as such it can and will kick your ass. You need to drive one to appreicate what they are. Don't ride in one as you will not get the real effect of what these boats can do. The people that can drive a flat well make it look easy but don't be fooled, it ain't as easy as it looks.
Not all V-drives are flats. ;)
V-drive disadvantages?
Overall, they're less user-friendly, idiot-resistant, and more susceptible to shallow water and under-water hazards. Hole-shot isn't usually as good as a well set up jet. A lot more work to rig. Less interior space and more obstructions. A little harder to pull up on the beach.
With big gears like my 48s, forget about idling slow, unless you have a trans like "Unchained".
Aside from that, everything else is better with a V-drive. :D

V-DRIVE VIDEO
05-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Not all V-drives are flats. ;)
V-drive disadvantages?
Overall, they're less user-friendly, idiot-resistant, and more susceptible to shallow water and under-water hazards. Hole-shot isn't usually as good as a well set up jet. A lot more work to rig. Less interior space and more obstructions. A little harder to pull up on the beach.
With big gears like my 48s, forget about idling slow, unless you have a trans like "Unchained".
Aside from that, everything else is better with a V-drive. :D
Don't forget the roost thing (unless you have a gas, alky, or top fuel hydro) ;) .

disco_charger
05-20-2007, 05:13 PM
I think I disagree with the hole shot thing. A well set up V drive will come out of the hole just as hard as a jet.

QuickJet
05-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Dollar for dollar the V-drive kicks ass on the jet hands down.

VDRIVERACING
05-20-2007, 07:25 PM
I love debating Volkswagon vs Mercedes issues! To all the jet fans out there, my post was a little tongue-in-cheek because I like to stir up sh**.
Truth is, jets have their place...behind the barn!!!:D
Vdrives take up more interior space, and require more maintenance. When I had three young children I had an outboard because it was cheaper, was good on gas, and had lots of room for people and gear. Jets are also less expensive than Vdrives, and provide efficient use of cockpit area. Minivans are roomy, too.
Now that expense and passenger comfort is of no importance to me, and I just want the fastest best handling thoroughbred I can drive, it's a vdrive.

HaryCary333
05-20-2007, 07:49 PM
I think I disagree with the hole shot thing. A well set up V drive will come out of the hole just as hard as a jet.
DC- got that right:jawdrop: :D

Warp Factor
05-21-2007, 03:06 AM
When you look at equal ETs, the V-drive usually has a much higher MPH.
That means the jet got out of the hole faster and the V-drive ran him down.
Not complaining about my hole shot. But when I lake race, sometimes I need to go faster than I'd like to and stay in it longer than I want to run down a healthy jet. Might need to go 110 to beat a 95 mph jet from a dead dig.
My boat is big and isn't set up the best for coming out of the hole, but ET versus MPH of the two setups on a variety of boats at the drags still tells the story.
Don't think I've ever run across a jet though that will cruise around all day, and still do 110-115 with four people in it. :)

MAXIMUS
05-21-2007, 06:34 AM
[QUOTE=Warp Factor;2573466
Don't think I've ever run across a jet though that will cruise around all day, and still do 110-115 with four people in it. :)[/QUOTE]
Are you sure???:confused:
I usually have to go 95 to beat a 110 mph v-drive!:D
I too own both... in fact I own 2 v-drives, 2-jets & 1 out drive. My biggest bitch about a jet is the gas milage... They suck fuel period. I do like the room in the ski boat vs the v-drive & you don't get the harmonics. I think an outdrive is probably the best set up for a daily cruiser. Economy, room & performance. That being said if a jet is set up really good they aren't too bad. I do like v-drives better for all around performance. Much more versatile & fun to drive... However nothing gives me more pleasure than kicking the shit out of a v-drive with a jet. Except hearing what Jerry has to say next! lol:D