PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Help

Powerquestboy
05-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Trying to make a decision from my new Bimini Top:
Stainless
or
Aluminum
The guy making it says he has always run Aluminum with no Problems. My boat will only see the salt maybe 2 times a year at most. The Stainless is $250 more. What are the pro's and cons? Any advantage to Stainless other than non-corrosion in the salt? Is it stronger? Any thoughts or opinions?

SB
05-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Stainless might look a little sharper, might be a little stronger, so you're top would have less rattle.

DeltaSigBoater
05-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Trying to make a decision from my new Bimini Top:
Stainless
or
Aluminum
The guy making it says he has always run Aluminum with no Problems. My boat will only see the salt maybe 2 times a year at most. The Stainless is $250 more. What are the pro's and cons? Any advantage to Stainless other than non-corrosion in the salt? Is it stronger? Any thoughts or opinions?
The stainless is definitely stronger than the alumnium & wont pit, corrode or oxidize like the aluminum will. Spend the extra $$$ and get the stainless
just my $.02

Havasu Hangin'
05-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Pros- Much stronger.
Cons- Heavier.
If you plan on keeping it up while underway, I'd go stainless.

phebus
05-17-2007, 09:59 AM
How much is your boat worth? Spend the $250. and do it right.

Powerquestboy
05-17-2007, 10:13 AM
How much is your boat worth? Spend the $250. and do it right.
This was my initial thought but it seemed like the guy who is doing the work felt like it was overkill. I was curious to see what the norm is.

TrojanDan
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Definitely go with the SS. On a much smaller boat, I'm sure aluminum is fine. The weight differnetial is probably 20lbs or so.
Also put a 18" or so strip of mesh down the center of the bimini to prevent the "balloning" effect you see when the bimini top is up when you are at speed. The mesh blocks out alot of the sun but also lets the air vent out. The mesh comes in different colors and mesh sizes depending on how much sun you want to block out.

Powerquestboy
05-17-2007, 10:47 AM
The Bimini is going on a 288 Sunsation so he said its going to be either 6 or 8 feet. Sounds like Stainless in the general concensus. Normally everything I pick out is always the most expensive so why should this be any different.....dam!

wsuwrhr
05-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Stainless hands down.
Brian

lalhc
05-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Stainless all the way