PDA

View Full Version : Food for dogs

wsuwrhr
05-17-2007, 11:08 AM
What are you guys feeding your dogs for "wet" food since the big pet food recall?
Mopar has been getting cans of soup for a couple months now, I have always heard "people" food is not neccesarily good for dogs either. It sure beats feeding the dog food that kills them.
I was wondering what the HB peeps have switched to.
I don't know if that is true or not. Did you notice the jacked up ingredient was imported from China? This is only the tip of the iceberg, but that is a different thread.
Brian

bigq
05-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Wet food is not good for dogs and cats at all. Really bad for the teeth and to many preservatives. You need a good dry food that does not have corn or wheat as the main ingredients, look for chicken or beef.

Quest4Fun
05-17-2007, 11:16 AM
I haven't fed my dogs wet food for quite some time...since before the recall. They get dry food and if I have some left-over meat, they get that mixed in with it. They haven't complained to me about getting dry food only so I guess its all good :D :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
I make mine boiled chicken, brown rice, peas and carrots. As well as the occasional bowl of dry food watered down.
The whole poisoned dog food recall freaked me out and I am not willing to risk my dogs lives over dog food. So their vet recommended the above recipe.
:D

Quest4Fun
I forgot to add that I don't think canned soup would be good for a dog. Has lots of sodium!

Havasu1986
05-17-2007, 11:19 AM
I have Pauls Pet Food delivered once a month.:)

moonridgematt
05-17-2007, 11:23 AM
We feed our lab dry food and some boiled chicken. He used to get wet and dry food. I try to stay away from the wet food nowadays after reading an ingredient label. Holy crap they pound a ton of "stuff" in those cans of food.

dirty old man
05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
My dog food comes from Communist China. They don't feed their dogs there, they eat them

riverbound
05-17-2007, 11:27 AM
My parents boild up some rice and hamburger and chicken for their dogs. and throw it on top of Dry food. They have been doing that for years.

Miss Perfect
05-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Mine only gets dry food and maybe a bite of meat from my dinner. His farts are bad enough as it is...I can't imagine how bad he would stink with wet food. UGH
---- he does not normally look this gay, but the Doggy Detailer came today and gave him a bow :D -----
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/angi1974/2.jpg

EXTRMBT
05-17-2007, 11:28 AM
My Dad was feeding our dog Gwen ground beef with rice and sometimes scrambled eggs vets orders. This was after she was diagnosed with kidney failure after eating tainted food in the Lexington, KY area. They then changed her to a low protein food after she got worse. Unfortunately Gwen was put down last Thursday from further complications from the failure.:( It was a sad, sad day. Unfortunately I live in Tucson so I was unable to see her for the last time.

BrendellaJet
05-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Was there any dry food impacted by this? My dogs get Nutro brand dog food. They both started getting mucous in their stool and sometimes diahrea. Usually I just de-worm them and voila, problem solved. Not this time. De-worming did nothing. After about two weeks I threw some new food on top of the old in the barrel and presto, problem solved. Get back down to the old stuff and one of them gets the shits again. Threw the food out.
Switched to the beef flavored Nutro and problem solved again. Weird thing is they ate the chicken & lamb mix for a couple of years and never had a problem, then all of a sudden the whole wet food thing came up and my dogs were getting sick...

EXTRMBT
05-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Was there any dry food impacted by this? My dogs get Nutro brand dog food. They both started getting mucous in their stool and sometimes diahrea. Usually I just de-worm them and voila, problem solved. Not this time. De-worming did nothing. After about two weeks I threw some new food on top of the old in the barrel and presto, problem solved. Get back down to the old stuff and one of them gets the shits again. Threw the food out.
Switched to the beef flavored Nutro and problem solved again. Weird thing is they ate the chicken & lamb mix for a couple of years and never had a problem, then all of a sudden the whole wet food thing came up and my dogs were getting sick...
Thats what happened to our dog but mainly diahrea from the get go. She was eating both dry and wet. I think dry was also in the recall. Looks like you got a handle on it. Hope the dogs are OK.

bunny 166
05-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Both our dogs have skin/belly issues, so they've been eating white rice with baby food mixed in it. We usually buy the 1st foods chicken and put some baked plain chicken chunks in there,too, or we get the baby's 1st beef and mix in some ground hamburger....Hope your dog is OK....

Baja Big Dog
05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Someone in Havi makes dog food, my SIL bought me some, the ole J.D. loved it.:D

Big Kahunaa
05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Mine only gets dry food and maybe a bite of meat from my dinner. His farts are bad enough as it is...I can't imagine how bad he would stink with wet food. UGH
---- he does not normally look this gay, but the Doggy Detailer came today and gave him a bow :D -----
im with you my dogs fart to much all ready

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-17-2007, 12:03 PM
im with you my dogs fart to much all ready
You know, since I started feeding mine chicken and rice, their farts are few and far between. And their coats are really shiney too. :)

Big Kahunaa
05-17-2007, 12:13 PM
You know, since I started feeding mine chicken and rice, their farts are few and far between. And their coats are really shiney too. :)
i got a boxer farting is in there DNA

shockwavebd
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
ground turkey and rice mixed with dry food

Froggystyle
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
You could try feeding them the kittens from the other thread... ;)
J/K everyone! Relax...

lucky
05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
What are you guys feeding your dogs for "wet" food since the big pet food recall?
Mopar has been getting cans of soup for a couple months now, I have always heard "people" food is not neccesarily good for dogs either. It sure beats feeding the dog food that kills them.
I don't know if that is true or not. Did you notice the jacked up ingredient was imported from China? This is only the tip of the iceberg, but that is a different thread.
Brian
i feed mine chinese food , just for shits and giggles :idea:

Miss Perfect
05-17-2007, 12:22 PM
J/K everyone! Relax...
Ha! They sounded like they were malnourished. That is more of a snack then a meal :D

lucky
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Ha! They sounded like they were malnourished. That is more of a snack then a meal :D
small dogs don't eat much :devil:

centerhill condor
05-17-2007, 12:33 PM
I feed my dog turnip greens...my neighbor said his dog wouldn't eat turnip greens...I told hime mine wouldn't either for a month!

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-17-2007, 12:35 PM
J/K everyone! Relax...
I actually laughed out loud when I read that. ;)

wsuwrhr
05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
J/K everyone! Relax...
Mopar LOVES kitties.;) ;)

wsuwrhr
05-17-2007, 12:46 PM
small dogs don't eat much :devil:
Yep

BigDogIvan
05-17-2007, 12:46 PM
I gave my dogs Nutro MAX Chicken and rice for the 13 years I had them. Never had an issue. I started my cat on Nutro about 7 years ago. He seems to like it much better that the Friskies or what ever it was. All ther coats were always shinny and soft and there farts were not too leathal. :D

HPBoats83
05-17-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a 1 year old 94 pound Italian Mastiff and he is on Eagle Pack. It's a dry food that it the s**t. They have nothing to do with the recall because they use all the best ingredients. They also package, bag, and sell the food all theirselves instead of having someone else make the food for them. I have had my dog (Dante) on Nutro Ultra, Canidae, and finally ended up with the Eagle Pack. The only bad thing about the food is you can't buy it at major chains but I don't really care because we have a small store by the house the carries it. Any other questions, ask.
James
www.eaglepack.com

Ivan Dan
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm pretty lucky as my 2 labs will eat ANYTHING! And when I say anything I mean anything. They get Purina Pro Plan as it is free because my mom works at Purina. They eat the stuff so fast they can't even taste it anyways....they eat their meal in about 15-20 seconds its friggin amazing to watch. :D

Cole Trickle
05-17-2007, 02:33 PM
We only feed our Boston Dry Nutro. (She does occasionaly get some table scraps...meat,chicken)
No wet food...I don't want a spoiled pooch:D
Her health is perfect and her coat has always been shiny:)

FOREVER2DOXIES
05-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Brian
we dont feed ours "wet" food....they get dry only and are on RD by Hills Prescription. when not on that, they eat Royal Canin mini-dachshund blend. the only "wet" food they get are meat scraps from us.

Mrs. 20
05-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey, you are a fellow bully owner! :)
This is my girl "Lady" with my husband.
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u299/mkepler1/387605423_7f663d1eb5.jpg
We feed her dry food mostly (Royal Canin). We cook for her everyday. Rice, eggs. I was mad at Costco though because for the last few months while all the recalls were happening they said their canned food was safe, so I was still using it from time to time. Then just a couple weeks ago they announced that it had been recalled too. I don't trust any brand now.

Miss Managed Assets
05-17-2007, 10:37 PM
I have a 1 year old 94 pound Italian Mastiff and he is on Eagle Pack. It's a dry food that it the s**t. They have nothing to do with the recall because they use all the best ingredients. They also package, bag, and sell the food all theirselves instead of having someone else make the food for them. I have had my dog (Dante) on Nutro Ultra, Canidae, and finally ended up with the Eagle Pack. The only bad thing about the food is you can't buy it at major chains but I don't really care because we have a small store by the house the carries it. Any other questions, ask.
James
www.eaglepack.com
I use Eagle Pack Holistic dry as well(The Holistic line only). For canned I use Eagle Pack Holistic or Wellness. I tried some other holistics (can get them closer to home)and did not have the same results. I drive from Chino Hills to Corona or La Verne to buy it, it's worth the drive.
www.greatdanelady.com

Redwing247
05-17-2007, 10:49 PM
I make mine boiled chicken, brown rice, peas and carrots.
That and dry food.

Rexone
05-18-2007, 04:52 AM
I use this stuff exclusively. (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=1&code=103)
No China bs either in this stuff. (http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/news/)
It's available at Petco too.

burtandnancy2
05-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Mike, there's more chemicals in there than at my pharmacy. However, I remember the saying "better living through chemistry"...