PDA

View Full Version : New diesel fuel/emissions questions...

Outnumbered
05-17-2007, 11:36 AM
What is the scoop on the 2008 diesel fuel emissions stuff? Dodge is coming out with the 6.7 for emissions and I think Ford did the same with the 6.4. Is diesel fuel going to be reformulated and priced higher as a result?
What about using the new fuel in the older trucks?
I'm on the fence right now about buying a 5.9 Cummins or 6.7. They are both available new right now.
Anybody know about this stuff?
Thanks

OCMerrill
05-17-2007, 11:43 AM
What is the scoop on the 2008 diesel fuel emissions stuff? Dodge is coming out with the 6.7 for emissions and I think Ford did the same with the 6.4. Is diesel fuel going to be reformulated and priced higher as a result?
I'm on the fence right now about buying a 5.9 Cummins or 6.7. They are both available new right now.
Thanks
It's called Low Sulfur Diesel
It is the only Diesel available here sense last October. No choice but to buy it.
Older trucks can run on it. Lasting problems? Who knows. New trucks coming on line can ONLY run on it. So if you like to travel to Mexico be warned it might not be available there.
The switch over was the cause for Diesel to go up $.75 gallon last year.
New trucks will have catalysts (not just a trap as before) and many other emission goodies. Running the old stuff through them will damage the components so I read. I don't know where that leaves the Bio Diesel peeps though. MBZ stuff will also have Urea injection shooting into the exhaust. Stuff they have been doing in Germany for years and years.
I have 3 Isuzu NPR box trucks all running diesel engines. So far no issues but I await and injector pump failure due to mileage long before I would worry about the new fuel hurting something.

ChumpChange
05-17-2007, 11:46 AM
No need to be on the fence. I just bought a diesel and it rocks. Much better than gas. Once you drive one around and two with it, you really don't care what happens with the price because it would be worth it. :D

Run_em_Hard
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
There are many reasons for the changes in diesel motors the past few years...the main one is emissons. The standards they are having to meet are hurting the power of the eingines, result more cubes, bigger or more turbos ect.
Another reason it the competition for power. Numbers from the factory are becoming insane. Ford goes for the twins and dodge stroked thier motors. This is also why new truck prices are getting expensive. Older diesels came with 3" exaust and now they come with 4".
Also this new fuel is a joke. People aren't smart enough to think about things real deaply. This fuel is claimed to have better emissions, but it is also causing poor fuel milage. Do not expect to get the milage and life out of some of the parts on your diesels like you used to. Do use fuel additives, it will do wonders for your vehicle(if used correctly).

Screaming Pete
05-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks
i just rolled over 350,000 on the 5.9 cummins.............not sure about ford and chevys...........new fuel runs fine but i do run an additive also mine is stock only 150 hp with an auto. k&n filter and thats about it

Run_em_Hard
05-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks
Either one would be good...I have heard alot of good about the 6.7. All it basically is is a stroked 5.9 with a different turbo. If you are into upgrading your diesel you might want to stick the 5.9. Lots of time proven upgrades. I have also heard that the auto that is coupled with the 6.7 is awesome. If I remember correctly they are used in Isuzu medium duty trucks and are bullet proof(but that is what some say about the Allison:rolleyes: ).

Outnumbered
05-17-2007, 11:56 AM
No need to be on the fence. I just bought a diesel and it rocks. Much better than gas. Once you drive one around and two with it, you really don't care what happens with the price because it would be worth it. :D
Not on the fence about diesel I've had them before, just about 5.9 vs 6.7 Cummins. The 5.9 is pre-emissions and the 6.7 is the new low emission motor.

OCMerrill
05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
People aren't smart enough to think about things real deaply. This fuel is claimed to have better emissions, but it is also causing poor fuel milage. Do not expect to get the milage and life out of some of the parts on your diesels like you used to. Do use fuel additives, it will do wonders for your vehicle(if used correctly).
In all three of my trucks we are seeing an increase of fuel usage by 9% or so realitive to mileage driven. So...yep reduced mileage I will agree.
They run fine though.

Outnumbered
05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
There are many reasons for the changes in diesel motors the past few years...the main one is emissons. The standards they are having to meet are hurting the power of the eingines, result more cubes, bigger or more turbos ect.
Another reason it the competition for power. Numbers from the factory are becoming insane. Ford goes for the twins and dodge stroked thier motors. This is also why new truck prices are getting expensive. Older diesels came with 3" exaust and now they come with 4".
Also this new fuel is a joke. People aren't smart enough to think about things real deaply. This fuel is claimed to have better emissions, but it is also causing poor fuel milage. Do not expect to get the milage and life out of some of the parts on your diesels like you used to. Do use fuel additives, it will do wonders for your vehicle(if used correctly).
How much does that additive cost? Kind of defeats the purpose just like you said. Focken polititions:rolleyes:

shippingguy
05-17-2007, 12:02 PM
How much does that additive cost? Kind of defeats the purpose just like you said. Focken polititions:rolleyes:
I run RBP's additive in my Duramax. It has 5% Cetane to help with the low sulfur diesel. A bottle treats up to 500 gallons and it is $30.

Outnumbered
05-17-2007, 12:04 PM
I run RBP's additive in my Duramax. It has 5% Cetane to help with the low sulfur diesel. A bottle treats up to 500 gallons and it is $30.
Not bad. Thanks.

Baja Big Dog
05-17-2007, 12:04 PM
If you can wake up in the morning and not get sick when you see a Dodge in the front yard then buy the dodge, with the 5.9. This motor has billions of miles on them, and they work very well, horsepower numbers may be lower than the fords and Chevys, but you dont here of the problems the ford and Chevy guys are talking about.
And this comes from a FORD guy!!!!

Run_em_Hard
05-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Well I am a Dodge man so I can't say about Fords...but for us pre-common rail motors with the Vp44 injection pump they are going to wear bad. They are cooled and lubed by the fuel and when they take all the lubrication out of the fuel you are screwed:mad:
I run Power Service from checkers. In the grey bottle. Six or so bucks will do 2-3 tanks. Run it everyother tank. But basically anything with a good name on it will work(amsoil, lucas...).

Run_em_Hard
05-17-2007, 12:07 PM
If you can wake up in the morning and not get sick when you see a Dodge in the front yard then buy the dodge, with the 5.9. This motor has billions of miles on them, and they work very well, horsepower numbers may be lower than the fords and Chevys, but you dont here of the problems the ford and Chevy guys are talking about.
And this comes from a FORD guy!!!!
There ya go...and if you are a serious diesel guy, buy an old 12v cummins and spin it up to 5k+ rpm @ 700+ hp and still get 20 mpg:D

shippingguy
05-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Not bad. Thanks.
No problem. I just ordered two more bottles and shipped to my door it was $63.
Mike

Outnumbered
05-17-2007, 12:12 PM
No problem. I just ordered two more bottles and shipped to my door it was $63.
Mike
What is the website?

shippingguy
05-17-2007, 12:16 PM
What is the website?
www.rollingbigpower.com

prosthogod
05-17-2007, 01:24 PM
what does the additive do, or help with? I have an '02 7.3 ford.

Outnumbered
05-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Product Name:
HIGH PERFORMANCE ADDITIVE
Part Number:
80001HP+
Manufacturer:
RBP
Our Price: $29.50
Quantity:
Features
EPA approved
Cetane: Represents the ignition value of the fuel, reduces noise and improves cold start performance. Current U.S. minimum cetane requirement is 40 on DF2 fuel (# 2 Diesel Fuel). Most electronic diesel engines require a cetane rating of 45 or higher. High
5% cetane gain
Adds lubricity to low sulfur fuel
*Lubricity: a compound that helps to keep the injection pump and injectors operating properly. RBP’s additive adds lubricity without adding sulfur.
Improves fuel economy by 10%
Extends engine life
100% Active ingredient.
Doubles the life of the injectors
Reduces exhaust smoke
Eliminates the formation of algae and harmful acids
Prevents waxing and gelling
Improves combustion
Quiets injector clatter
Lubricates cylinder walls
Decarbonizes combustion chamber
Removes and prevents carbon build up
Only uses 1 oz. for every 32 Gallons of fuel
Contains NO alcohol
RBP’S diesel additive can be used in all diesel engines including Ford, Chevy, Dodge, VW, Mercedes, Cat Motors, Big Rigs, Heavy Equipment and all Marine Applications
BIODIESEL: RBP's additive is just as beneficial in Biodiesel as it is in your regular diesel fuel
**If you are currently getting bad fuel mileage, RBP recommends using a half or full bottle of HP additive the first time
FREE shipping and handling within the continental United States
Description:
5% CETANE!
MORE LUBRICITY!
INCREASE YOUR FUEL ECONOMY!!
1 BOTTLE TREATS UP TO 500 GALLONS!

shippingguy
05-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Check out the website www.rollingbigpower.com and click on additives. This will explain it.
Mike

Flyinbowtie
05-17-2007, 05:08 PM
I have to agree with the MPG issue, the new fuel sucks.
I have a 1997 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD long bed that I converted to dually.
It has some exhaust mods, some intake mods, an ATS exhaust side turbo scroll, and a 3-step chip. It just turned 79k, and I am really anal about maint. issues. The truck, on the old fuel, would pull down almost 21 MPG on the highway with 4 on board at 70 MPH. Now, I am seeing less than 18 under the same circumstances. I bought it new.
I run the Lucas Fuel treatment, and try to buy fuel only from places that pump large quanitites of diesel. The lubricity issue on the injector o-rings and other similiar stuff is a gonna be a big concern.
I often look at the new trucks, and sometimes get the bug, but then I think:
Paid For
Takes 21k over Donner Summit (7200 ft.) at 60 with the A/C on.
No problems since the E4OD was rebuilt like it should have been from the factory.
Paid For.
7.3 is a proven package.
50k or better to get the baseline truck, then all the mods I've done, and....
I think I'll keep her for a few more years.
Now if Caterpillar and Ford ever get together, and I see a couple of years of good performance, then I might get roped in..

OCMerrill
05-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I also run Lucas in my trucks and buy it by the Gallon. I give the guys four ounce bottles of the stuff so they can't over dose a tank of fuel and waste it.
Trucks seem to run smoother with it. These Isuzu trucks NEVER smoke anyway but just in case...one complaint to CARB and I have to go in for snap testing on all three.
I run it to hopefully avoid mech problems down the road. These engines are 100% mechanical unlike all this new stuff.
Rollingbigpower - I will check out.

UnionJack
05-17-2007, 05:58 PM
just bought the new 6.7 dodge... it's great

Outnumbered
05-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I read that they are only pulling about 13-14 MPG, how is yours doing?

UnionJack
05-17-2007, 06:41 PM
17 normal driving

Jordy
05-17-2007, 07:02 PM
You're wasting your money worrying about lubricity (cetane rating) in the new common rail systems. The older Ford, Dodge, and Chevy with the rotary injection pumps required higher sulpher to keep the seals in the pump lubricated. The new direct injection common rail systems don't need it. Save your money.

Outnumbered
05-17-2007, 07:32 PM
You're wasting your money worrying about lubricity (cetane rating) in the new common rail systems. The older Ford, Dodge, and Chevy with the rotary injection pumps required higher sulpher to keep the seals in the pump lubricated. The new direct injection common rail systems don't need it. Save your money.
Let's hear your opinion Jordy (no, I won't buy a new D-max so save yor breath:D ). Which one would you buy? 5.9 or 6.7? Keep in mind the 6.7 has a new 6 speed auto and factory exhaust brake.

Jordy
05-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Let's hear your opinion Jordy (no, I won't buy a new D-max so save yor breath:D ). Which one would you buy? 5.9 or 6.7? Keep in mind the 6.7 has a new 6 speed auto and factory exhaust brake.
My thoughts??? I would NEVER be one to buy any engine in its' first year, some even second year. The 5.9 is a great engine, probably one of the best light duty truck engines ever built. Given the choice, IMHO, it's a no brainer. Offer me a Ford and it would be a 7.3. That was a great engine before they started throwing more fuel and injection timing at it to keep up with the rest of them and make more power. ;)

Outnumbered
05-17-2007, 07:40 PM
My thoughts??? I would NEVER be one to buy any engine in its' first year, some even second year. The 5.9 is a great engine, probably one of the best light duty truck engines ever built. Given the choice, IMHO, it's a no brainer. Offer me a Ford and it would be a 7.3. That was a great engine before they started throwing more fuel and injection timing at it to keep up with the rest of them and make more power. ;)
That is the way I'm leaning. It is too bad you can't get the new tranny with the 5.9. The mileage would be epic. The 4-speed auto has proven to be a pretty good unit as long as you don't juice the motor. But I guess that is the case with any of them. My bro-in law jacked up his Alison from running an edge juice and pulling a 18k# trailer.:)

Jordy
05-17-2007, 07:45 PM
That is the way I'm leaning. It is too bad you can't get the new tranny with the 5.9. The mileage would be epic. The 4-speed auto has proven to be a pretty good unit as long as you don't juice the motor. But I guess that is the case with any of them. My bro-in law jacked up his Alison from running an edge juice and pulling a 18k# trailer.:)
The auto with the Dodge has always been the weak link with the 48RE, much like the Ford with the E4OD or the new Torqueshift (which is an E40D with an overdrive). The Allison seems to respond best to the power adders (granted I'm partial as my business card has an Allison logo on it ;) ). Then again, I rocked a mighty 6.5 turbo diesel for a long time and got used to towing hills at 40 mph with any kind of load. :D
If I were to buy a Cummins, I'd go with the manual every time when it comes to tranny decisions. Pretty much due to a lack of viable options. :D

Run_em_Hard
05-18-2007, 04:27 AM
I would have to agree with getting the manual(a.k.a. Hand Shaker). But if that is out of the question than the auto isn't too bad(48RE). They can handle a little extra power in stock form but only about 75 hp. It doesn't take much to make them fairly strong though. A good Torque Converter and Valve Body and your would have a pretty strong tranny. Just remember trucks are just like boats, Power cost money;)

Jordy
05-18-2007, 07:57 AM
So use it or not on a 2004 F250 6.0 powerstroke?
I wouldn't. ;)

Baja Big Dog
05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Tell us more Jack...:idea:

Screaming Pete
05-18-2007, 08:57 AM
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/
here is a great link for dodge questions?/////////
you will find the good bad and ugly...........but its all from dodge/cummins owners

Baja Big Dog
05-18-2007, 09:05 AM
BINGO..WE HAVE A WINNER!!