PDA

View Full Version : Doggy Life Jackets

River Diva
05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Well I'm going to be taking my pug out to the river this season and I wanted to know if anyone has any tips on what brand life jacket to buy him. I've been looking online and there are so many different brands, types, etc. I want one that has a strong handle to lift him out of the water easily and won't choke him while doing it. He already doesn't have much of a neck so I want him to be comfortable.
Anyone?

DesertGirl
05-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Got mine at Petsmart, and it worked out really well. She seemed pretty comfortable in it.
:D
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/mxgirl523/Kathy_s_new_hot_dog.jpg

Cole Trickle
05-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Got mine at Petsmart, and it worked out really well. She seemed pretty comfortable in it.
We have one like shown above for Bama (Pet Mart) Only problem is when she jumps in the water the thing flips her up side down.
Safety wise it scared me so we just let her play and keep an eye out.(She is a good smimmer)

bordsmnj
05-17-2007, 03:51 PM
i prefer the "taco "style jackets. they look like the one Bean's wearing(above post) but have more floaty material all around and they zip solid and have a good grab handle on back with no chance of dog slippage. i might be able to find a pic later somewhere.

Buster
05-17-2007, 03:53 PM
We got ours at Ruff Wear online and picked it up in Havasu. That little pet store in the old Shooters building.

Froggystyle
05-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Ruffwear.com
I had the Outward Hound ones they sell at Petsmart and such and it was really loose, couldn't lift Izzy properly and wore out pretty quickly. I got her one from REI by these guys...
http://www.ruffwear.com/
and have loved it. Much more comfortable and supportive.

River Diva
05-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys...he's kindof a slippery little guy and I don't want him jumping in the water and being worse off than without a life jacket. Do the ones from Ruffwear make them flip over also?

JET-O-VATOR
05-17-2007, 04:05 PM
We have one like shown above for Bama (Pet Mart) Only problem is when she jumps in the water the thing flips her up side down.
Safety wise it scared me so we just let her play and keep an eye out.(She is a good smimmer)
I just got mine for shasta marie but i dont know how she is going to like it. i put it on her last night and she just kinda walked in circles trying to fiquere out what it was.........

Old Man Havasu
05-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I believe ours is from Petsmart. Max hates to put it on but he's OK once we are done. The handle is handy to have around if we forget the frisbee:):):)

RitcheyRch
05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Same one we have for our mini weenie dogs. Seems to be the only ones you can find these days.

Nord
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey Stacy
Should I bring my Wiener Dog this trip???

Flyinbowtie
05-17-2007, 04:50 PM
RiverDiva;
We have one like froggy is talking about and it seems to work fine for our little rat, Nitro the Trained Attack Shit-zu. One thing, when there out of the water on the beach we make sure to take it off, it tends to trap water between the material and his skin, and he can't dry out; if the water is chilly he gets the shivers...

Lightning
05-17-2007, 05:59 PM
We've used the Outward Hounds brand and have never had a problem. Whichever brand you plan on going with, just make sure it does not have a zipper on the back - the zipper with blow out if in a serious situation. Also, make sure there is a neck collar with wraps underneath their neck to keep their little heads above water. Best to test fit in the store....sizing seems to vary amongst different brands.

Miss Managed Assets
05-17-2007, 10:46 PM
http://www.pupgearcorporation.com/Products/K-9-Float-Coat
Here's were we bought ours, Ruff Wear brand, you can also get them from REI.

bordsmnj
05-17-2007, 11:03 PM
http://www.pupgearcorporation.com/Products/K-9-Float-Coat
Here's were we bought ours, Ruff Wear brand, you can also get them from REI.
thats the one! thats the "dog taco" i was refering too.:D

DesertGirl
05-18-2007, 07:40 AM
We haven't had a problem with the jacket flipping the dog over yet, she can swim around in it just fine, and the handle is so helpful.
Maybe next trip I'll bring her too.....if all the other lil dogs can go. :D

catman-do
05-18-2007, 07:48 AM
We have the one like pictured above. Its from Petsmart and was $20. We have a lab/beagle and he hasnt had any problems. I like that the whole chest is velcro so when we pick him up the strain is evenly distributed. Some just had straps and it seemed like it would tug where the straps were.

riverbound
05-18-2007, 08:40 AM
We haven't had a problem with the jacket flipping the dog over yet, she can swim around in it just fine, and the handle is so helpful.
Maybe next trip I'll bring her too.....if all the other lil dogs can go. :D
Its going to be a half pint dog regatta this weeekend:eek: Bella Corny Patron Kara bean

DesertGirl
05-18-2007, 08:45 AM
Well, Bean isn't going this trip, she is going to see my nieces. But maybe next time if all the other dogs go I'll bring her. Does Bella go in you boat Billdo?

riverbound
05-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Well, Bean isn't going this trip, she is going to see my nieces. But maybe next time if all the other dogs go I'll bring her. Does Bella go in you boat Billdo?
she goes in my boat no problem....but Danny has a no dog rule with his boat so she wont be going on any boat rides ths weekend.

DesertGirl
05-18-2007, 08:53 AM
she goes in my boat no problem....but Danny has a no dog rule with his boat so she wont be going on any boat rides ths weekend.
I think Knucklehead does too, so me and Bean (if we go on the boat) would have to get a ride with you and Bella. (if you don't mind having two more girls with you :D)

riverbound
05-18-2007, 08:55 AM
I think Knucklehead does too, so me and Bean (if we go on the boat) would have to get a ride with you and Bella. (if you don't mind having two more girls with you :D)
Most definitely:D

RiverDave
05-18-2007, 08:57 AM
:eek: :eek:
RD

DesertGirl
05-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Most definitely:D
Awesome, I'll bring Bean next time you bring Bella then. The girls will have fun, just like usual. Thanks Bill.....I'll owe ya :devil:
xoxo
K

RitcheyRch
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM
I always tell everyone our mini-weenie dogs are a 1/2 dog high and 2 dog long. :D

River Diva
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Or you guys could ride with me:) Doggy's are always allowed on my boat...as long as they pass the Neva inspection first:eek:

River Diva
05-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey Stacy
Should I bring my Wiener Dog this trip???
That's a Dave and Neva question. If Bailey and Neva don't get along it could be an issue all weekend. They are already not thrilled about the new addition to our family. :rolleyes:

MR FLYIN VEE
05-18-2007, 09:34 AM
That's a Dave and Neva question. If Bailey and Neva don't get along it could be an issue all weekend. They are already not thrilled about the new addition to our family. :rolleyes:
When you say they do you mean DAve andNeva.:D

RiverDave
05-18-2007, 09:37 AM
When you say they do you mean DAve andNeva.:D
Pretty sure she's saying "Dave" with a hint of Neva.. LOL
RD

MR FLYIN VEE
05-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Pretty sure she's saying "Dave" with a hint of Neva.. LOL
RD
That's what I thought,what's up whith the new dog?:)

Legal Chemistry
05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure of the brand... the one's with the forward strap under their "neck" seems better, also with velcro.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/539/medium/Moose_Life_Jacket.JPG
this one was funny: I was lifting the boy up by his jacket and he decided to cut one loose.. then here comes moma dog to take a wife. Gotta love dogs!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/539/medium/Smells_Good.JPG

RiverDave
05-18-2007, 09:49 AM
That's what I thought,what's up whith the new dog?:)
If my g/f is happy then I'm happy. :)
RD

MR FLYIN VEE
05-18-2007, 09:52 AM
If my g/f is happy then I'm happy. :)
RD
As it should be Dave.;) well off to put in my 4 hrs.:D

Windy
05-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Stacy....oops sorry...this is for Neva right?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Desert_Storm_Havasu_017.jpg
And it has a handle to.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Desert_Storm_Havasu_066.jpg.
I will have to search the site I got it from.

RiverDave
05-18-2007, 03:28 PM
No it's for her Pug named Corny..
Neva can swim just fine. :) (No need for a jacket)
RD

River Diva
05-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Stacy....oops sorry...this is for Neva right?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Desert_Storm_Havasu_017.jpg
And it has a handle to.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Desert_Storm_Havasu_066.jpg.
I will have to search the site I got it from.
How cute is that. I saw it online already and wasn't sure of the quality. Looks like you're holding her up just fine. I know they had one in blue too.

Nord
05-18-2007, 03:34 PM
those goggles are out of control, where did you get them Windy??

Cole Trickle
05-18-2007, 03:39 PM
www.doggles.com
We were gonna get some for Bam for Rhino rides but nothing fits her because she has a small head and no neck.

djunkie
05-18-2007, 03:44 PM
www.doggles.com
We were gonna get some for Bam for Rhino rides but nothing fits her because she has a small head and no neck.
And some big ass freakin ears. :D :D

Froggystyle
05-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Neva can swim just fine. :) (No need for a jacket)
RD
So can Izzy, but not the point. If for whatever reason they were to get knocked out, fly out or otherwise not be in the boat while moving, it is extremely easy to imagine them getting not only the wind knocked out of them, but getting knocked unconscious as well. Izzy is built pretty lean, and Neva is very muscular. Both would sink like a rock were they not able to swim. Sinking unconscious dog = dead dog.
We earned our scare at the sandbar in Martinez. We had parked off the end, and were hanging out essentially at the end of the bar, and off to the side. Right by the bar it was probably 2' deep. It drops off pretty quickly on the bottom end of the sandbar. Izzy was next to us, hanging out while we partied and listened to music and whatever, and she evidently went in a little too far and started having to swim. Keep in mind, we are at the end of the bar, and she is now swimming against the current trying to keep up. Well, she kept up for a minute or so I would imagine, and then she started going under. I caught her just in time as she had now gotten about 10 feet away from us and I just happened to look up and see her struggling. Nobody else saw or heard it. I jam down there and jump in the water, carry her to the boat where she shivered and puked up water for a couple of minutes. She eventually caught her breath, and was just shaking from the scare for damn near an hour. We dried her off, cuddled with her etc. trying to calm her down, but she was sideways quite a bit.
Got her a jacket after that. She can swim, but can't keep up with current for long. If they get swept into the river... you will never find them.
Two good reasons for me to have her in a lifejacket from now on. Plus, she loves having it on at the sandbar. Totally allows her to relax in the water, and I can carry her way easier through deep parts and stuff. You can see them way better too.
I realize that due to her temperment, you can't let Neva out of your sight for a minute, so you might be in a different situation than I am, but people do stupid stuff on the water in front of me all the time, and I would hate to think that I would lose my dog because of it one day.

Cole Trickle
05-18-2007, 04:04 PM
So can Izzy, but not the point. If for whatever reason they were to get knocked out, fly out or otherwise not be in the boat while moving, it is extremely easy to imagine them getting not only the wind knocked out of them, but getting knocked unconscious as well. Izzy is built pretty lean, and Neva is very muscular. Both would sink like a rock were they not able to swim. Sinking unconscious dog = dead dog.
We earned our scare at the sandbar in Martinez. We had parked off the end, and were hanging out essentially at the end of the bar, and off to the side. Right by the bar it was probably 2' deep. It drops off pretty quickly on the bottom end of the sandbar. Izzy was next to us, hanging out while we partied and listened to music and whatever, and she evidently went in a little too far and started having to swim. Keep in mind, we are at the end of the bar, and she is now swimming against the current trying to keep up. Well, she kept up for a minute or so I would imagine, and then she started going under. I caught her just in time as she had now gotten about 10 feet away from us and I just happened to look up and see her struggling. Nobody else saw or heard it. I jam down there and jump in the water, carry her to the boat where she shivered and puked up water for a couple of minutes. She eventually caught her breath, and was just shaking from the scare for damn near an hour. We dried her off, cuddled with her etc. trying to calm her down, but she was sideways quite a bit.
Got her a jacket after that. She can swim, but can't keep up with current for long. If they get swept into the river... you will never find them.
Two good reasons for me to have her in a lifejacket from now on. Plus, she loves having it on at the sandbar. Totally allows her to relax in the water, and I can carry her way easier through deep parts and stuff. You can see them way better too.
I realize that due to her temperment, you can't let Neva out of your sight for a minute, so you might be in a different situation than I am, but people do stupid stuff on the water in front of me all the time, and I would hate to think that I would lose my dog because of it one day.
If you had a back door on the boat you could lock her in:D;) :D

Cole Trickle
05-18-2007, 04:04 PM
And some big ass freakin ears. :D :D
Thats like the pot calling the kettle black!!!:D:sqeyes: :D

djunkie
05-18-2007, 04:07 PM
Thats like the pot calling the kettle black!!!:D:sqeyes: :D
Skip doesn't have big ears. Hes just got a small head. :D :D

Cole Trickle
05-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Skip doesn't have big ears. Hes just got a small head. :D :D
Talking about you jackass!!!:D

Froggystyle
05-18-2007, 04:11 PM
If you had a back door on the boat you could lock her in:D;) :D
And if it had a cabin I could air condition it. And if it was a turbine, it would be loud...
What's your point... ;) :D

Cole Trickle
05-18-2007, 04:13 PM
And if it had a cabin I could air condition it. And if it was a turbine, it would be loud...
What's your point... ;) :D
Baby steps....
Save all that for boat 12!!!:D;)

djunkie
05-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Talking about you jackass!!!:D
I'm the opposite. I just have a big head. :D :D

Miss Managed Assets
05-18-2007, 05:16 PM
I found Roxy's doggles a year ago at Petsmart in Chino.

Windy
05-19-2007, 06:37 PM
I found Roxy's doggles a year ago at Petsmart in Chino.
Got Maggies Doggles at PetSmart last year.

Windy
05-19-2007, 06:39 PM
How cute is that. I saw it online already and wasn't sure of the quality. Looks like you're holding her up just fine. I know they had one in blue too.
Its a great jacket...I shouldve got it in extra small...its a little big for her. Yeah they come in blue with white polka dots to for the boys.