PDA

View Full Version : Quartsite Officer Shot 5 Times

BoatPI
05-17-2007, 03:35 PM
See this:http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2007/05/17/breaking_news/breakingnews.txt
Be on the lookout for this dead man walking......

Devil's Advocate
05-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Brutal. I hope the officer pulls through.:(

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-17-2007, 03:43 PM
:jawdrop: Prayers are with him and family..:(

vmjtc3
05-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Quartzsite police officer shot
Thursday, May 17, 2007 1:58 PM MST
The Quartzsite Police Department is asking for the public's assistance in locating and apprehending the suspects in the shooting of a Quartzsite police officer early Thursday morning.
According to a statement from Police Chief Jeff Gilbert, the officer, whose name has not been released, conducted a traffic stop at about 5 a.m. near the intersection of East Kuehn Road and State Route 95.
The officer was fired upon from the stopped vehicle and was hit by at least four rounds. He was able to get out of the vehicle and took cover in a nearby building.
A resident of the building called 911 and began to assist the officer. Medical and fire personnel arrived on the scene, and he was transported by helicopter to a Phoenix hospital. As of press time, his condition was not known.
The suspect or suspects left the scene. There are differing descriptions of their vehicle. It was described as a white van or small motor home with side and rear windows. It could also be a pick-up truck with a camper shell. The license plates are believed to be from Oregon, and the number is 664CKN.
An intensive search was under way soon after the incident. Ground units from different agencies were involved, as was at least one helicopter. The closest school to the shooting was put on lockdown.
If anyone has any information about this incident or comes in contact with this vehicle, they are urged to call 911 immediately. The Quartzsite Police Department can be reached at (928) 927-4644.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Geezeee this sux.

phebus
05-17-2007, 04:19 PM
I hope the shooter is never arrested...........................and shot dead instead. :mad:

Boatcop
05-17-2007, 04:20 PM
We have the vehicle, but not the shooter(s).
A massive man-hunt is underway in the desert south of Quartzsite.
The Officer is a former Deputy with my Dept. He is in satisfactory condition with non-life threatening injuries.
There's more to this story, but I can't divulge anything at this time. Just be careful and aware of who's hanging around if you're going to be anywhere in that area until we have the shooter(s) in custody. Especially if camping or along the River south of Ehrenberg.

Baja Big Dog
05-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Sounds like catfish food in the canel if we have a say so....:mad:
POS low life....

Kilrtoy
05-17-2007, 04:32 PM
A massive man-hunt is underway in the desert south of Quartzsite.
The Officer is a former Deputy with my Dept. He is in satisfactory condition with non-life threatening injuries.
There's more to this story, but I can't divulge anything at this time. Just be careful and aware of who's hanging around if you're going to be anywhere in that area until we have the shooter(s) in custody. Especially if camping or along the River south of Ehrenberg.
Thanks for the UPDATE DC
Hope you kill this focking prick

Trailer Park Casanova
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
If he looses any pay because of being off work let's get something going to remedy that.
Not sure how the policy is there, IOD or worker comp, but certainly we can make up the difference.

RitcheyRch
05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Thoughts and prayers are with the Officer and his Family.

Flyinbowtie
05-17-2007, 04:46 PM
TPC, What a decent thing to say.
He should be okay pay wise for the time being; it's on-duty and clearly they ain't gonna fight this one. If he is going to be okay, and it sounds like he is, perhaps they'll set something up to allow the public to show their support, respect, and admiration for the people out their with the badges on their chest trying to keep their community safe.
BC, this ole' Sergeant is pulling for the team hunting these animals; and I am praying for the recovery of our brother, and for the safety of the officers in the hunt.
Godspeed to you all. Be safe, and get the SOB's.:mad:

RiverRatMike
05-17-2007, 05:26 PM
that is redickulous! F*** GUNS!:mad:

Miss Perfect
05-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Good to hear that the officer is going to be ok. I hope they catch the pos. I have to drive through that town on my way home from Havasu. I hate that focking place. It scares the crap out of me.... now I know why.

westair
05-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Good to hear that the officer is going to be ok. I hope they catch the pos. I have to drive through that town on my way home from Havasu. I hate that focking place. It scares the crap out of me.... now I know why.
I agree thats gotta be the strangest place I've ever drivin thru

RaceFace
05-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm wishing a speedy recovery for the officer AND a SLOW PAINFUL DEATH for the focking scumbag shooter.
Hopefully it will be by police gunfire and not the court systems. I'd rather see my tax money go towards the BULLETS that light him up rather than an assigned public defender!!

Quest4Fun
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Does anybody know if they've caught this perp yet?? :confused: :jawdrop:

RiverDave
05-18-2007, 01:30 PM
That's terrible.. I can't imagine the person that did this is going to walk out of the desert alive.
RiverRatMike, you really should get a retard filter on your computer. Some of the shit your write absolutely blows me away.
RD

RiverToysJas
05-18-2007, 02:17 PM
that is redickulous! F*** GUNS!:mad:
:confused: So do you also blame misspelled words on the pencil? .....Do drunk driving accidents get blamed on the car or the alcohol?
F*** CRIMINALS! :mad:
RTJas

91nordic29
05-18-2007, 02:27 PM
That's terrible.. I can't imagine the person that did this is going to walk out of the desert alive.
RiverRatMike, you really should get a retard filter on your computer. Some of the shit your write absolutely blows me away.
RD
Dave said "retard filter". LOL:)

Water Romper
05-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Geezz, even in lil'ol Quartzsite. My guess it's some tweekin low life that shot the officer...:mad:

Quest4Fun
05-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Geezz, even in lil'ol Quartzsite. My guess it's some tweekin low life that shot the officer...:mad:
I am just wondering if they have caught the guy yet...I haven't really seen or read anywhere what he looks like. I guess they found his vehicle but no guy.

Classic Daycruiser
05-18-2007, 03:03 PM
Its a big Hot desert around quartzsite. Maybe they'll suffer a few days in the desert without water. Then be shot and left to die.

Baja Big Dog
05-18-2007, 03:15 PM
RD
Excellent RiverDave...excellent!!

Boatcop
05-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Haven't caught the shooter(s) yet. Don't know if there was more than one of them. The officer had more important things to do than count, and I don't think the car had a dash-cam.
The vehicle is in Phoenix getting the CSI treatment, and the Officer, J.C. Kemp, is doing well, expected full recovery.
Search is still on-going. Not a good time to be transient or suspicious looking person in that area.

Wheeler
05-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Any news on this?

uvindex
05-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Any news on this?
Associated Press - May 20, 2007 10:55 PM ET
MCMINNVILLE, Ore. (AP) - Authorities say two people from McMinnville are missing after someone shot and wounded a police officer near the Arizona-California border and fled in the Oregon couple's motor home.
Arizona Department of Public Safety investigators say Gregory Cole shot the officer multiple times during a traffic stop.
Cole reportedly fled the scene in a motor home, which was later found abandoned in a campground parking lot.
Authorities say the motor home is registered to Betty Lou Japel and Kenneth Miller of McMinnville, who are missing.
The license plate on the motorhome belonged to a pickup that is also registered to Japel and Miller. That truck is also missing.
Authorities don't believe the McMinnville couple was involved in the shooting but are worried about their safety.

Boatcop
05-20-2007, 07:44 PM
Suspect identified in Quartzsite officer shooting
By John Gutekunst
Sunday, May 20, 2007 10:50 AM MST
The Arizona Department of Public Safety has identified a suspect in the shooting of a Quartzsite Police officer.
Gregory Allen Cole is wanted in connection with the shooting of Quartzsite Police Ofc. J. C. Kemp in the early morning hours of May 17. He is also known by the nickname "Groundhog." He had previously been identified as an investigative lead in the case.
Cole is described as a white male, approximately 6 feet, 3 inches tall and weighing 275 pounds. He has a bald head and was last seen clean-shaven. The DPS said Cole should be considered dangerous.
The DPS is also attempting to locate a couple from Oregon who are the registered owners of the mobile home which was allegedly used by the suspect or suspects in the shooting. The license plates which were on the mobile home were from a 1986 Dodge pick-up truck which is also owned by the couple. The couple, Kenneth W, Miller and Betty Lou Japel of McMinnville, Ore., and the truck have not been located.
In a press release, the DPS said investigators are concerned for Miller and Japel's safety. The pick-up is described as a black and silver Dodge Ram 50. The Oregon license plates which should have been on the mobile home have the number 'H109178.'
The incident began when Kemp was making a traffic stop of a 1976 Ford motor home at approximately 5 a.m. near E. Kuehn Road and State Route 95. He was fired on from the motor home before he exited his vehicle, and he did not have time to unholster his sidearm. He was struck by at least four rounds. A videotape of the scene made by a television crew some time later showed the patrol car's windshield had been hit by many rounds.
The suspect or suspects fled the scene after the shooting. A resident from a nearby building called 911 and began to assist the officer. Medical and fire personnel arrived on the scene, and he was transported by helicopter to a Phoenix hospital.
The injuries proved to be non-life threatening. Quartzsite Police Chief Jeff Gilbert was able to visit Kemp in the hospital that evening.
An intensive search was underway soon after the incident. Ground units from different agencies were involved, as was at least one helicopter. The motor home was found abandoned in the parking lot of a Quartzsite campground later that day.
Kemp was described by La Paz County Sheriff Hal Collett as a veteran who had served with the sheriff's office before he went to Quartzsite about a year ago. He's a native of Salome, Ariz. He is married and has a daughter.
Anyone with information regarding this investigation is urged to call 602-223-2212. The Quartzsite Police Department can be reached at (928) 927-4644.
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/pics/breaking/0519cole-autosized258.jpg
SUSPECT - GREGORY ALLEN COLE

Tyson Ross
05-23-2007, 11:15 AM
Apparently Mr. Cole capped himself in the desert. Found today dead. :D

JB in so cal
05-23-2007, 11:19 AM
What a shame.:) :D :) :D :boxed: :wink:

Parker Dreamin
05-23-2007, 11:19 AM
I hope that is the truth....

ChumpChange
05-23-2007, 11:22 AM
For reals? News story?

Trailer Park Casanova
05-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Is that true?

Tyson Ross
05-23-2007, 11:33 AM
This is what I have been told, have not been able to confirm the story yet.

rocket98
05-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Is this late breaking news. The truck belonging to the Oregon couple was found up in Montana. And pictures of the subject and the couple have surfaced

Boatcop
05-23-2007, 11:39 AM
A body has been found in the desert outside of Quartzsite. It is believed to be that of the shooter.
Positive identification and cause of death won't be determined until an autopsy is conducted.

Trailer Park Casanova
05-23-2007, 11:41 AM
A body has been found in the desert outside of Quartzsite. It is believed to be that of the shooter.
Positive identification and cause of death won't be determined until an autopsy is conducted.
That'll save the Az tax payers a few mill.
I'd like to piss on his grave.

RaceFace
05-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I would it rather been a police bullet that went through his head, but I will take this.
No sunblock where you're going....focking scumbag!!!!

Keith E. Sayre
05-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I like Trailer Park Casanovas idea. Very thoughtful of you.
Keith Sayre

Not So Fast
05-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I like Trailer Park Casanovas idea. Very thoughtful of you.
Keith Sayre
That makes three of us Keith, maybe 5 :mad: :mad: NSF

Boatcop
05-23-2007, 11:49 AM
I would it rather been a police bullet that went through his head, but I will take this.
No sunblock where you're going....focking scumbag!!!!
After him laying out in the desert sun for a few days, I think it's a little late for sunblock.

Quest4Fun
05-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Sounds like good news! Lets hope this is the scumbag.

TAF
05-23-2007, 12:12 PM
What a shame.:) :D :) :D :boxed: :wink:
You are joking about it being a shame, right?
That way we save the tax payers 20 yrs. of $$$$ housing a deathrow inmate that wanted to die all a long.:sqeyes: :D

Bense468
05-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend boatcop. Hope he has a speedy recovery. I was waiting for the "RD SUX" on this one. Disappointed in you guys.

Boatcop
05-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Man who shot officer found dead in the desert
04:40 PM Mountain Standard Time on Wednesday, May 23, 2007
By The Associated Press
Authorities say they've found the body of a man who allegedly shot a Quartzsite police officer during a routine traffic stop.
Arizona Department of Public Safety Officer Tim Mason says Gregory Allen "Groundhog" Cole was found in the desert outside of Quartzsite -- about 20 miles east of the California state line.
Mason says Cole had an assault-type rifle at his side. He was found in a wash and appeared to have shot himself.
Authorities still need to confirm the body's identity, but Mason says they're confident that it is Cole.
Cole allegedly shot Quartzite Marshal's Officer James Kemp on May 17.
Authorities said that Cole fled in a motor home that had a license plate that was taken from a truck owned by an Oregon couple.
The couple -- Kenneth Miller and Betty Lou Japel -- is missing.
-------------------------------------
-----> My Note....... He appeared to have been dead for several days. He was found approx 5 miles north of the shooting site by a guy out riding the desert on his quad.
Cole was a self proclaimed "survivalist", had numerous felony warrants, and had made statements that he wouldn't be taken alive. It's been a pretty stressful time around here for us.
On the bright side, we won't have to pay for housing and trying his worthless ass, not to mention not paying a public defender to try and convince a jury that his client was innocent and just "misunderstood", and the Police just needed a scapegoat.
Now we can concentrate on trying to find out what happened to the missing couple. :(

DMOORE
05-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Excellent news. It will save us citizens a lot of trouble, and money.
Darrell.

finsfan4life
05-23-2007, 06:24 PM
I bet he's a Raiders fan....
I bet he was an offensive lineman for the silver n black...!!!!! ha

ColeTR2
05-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the update BC

SK48
05-23-2007, 07:19 PM
It is great news. Saw photos this morning and he got what he deserved. The vultures were circling, and chewing on his legs. What I don't understand yet is the couple that was with him were supposedly found in Las Vegas dead of natural causes.. Kind of wierd.

ahhell
05-23-2007, 07:39 PM
lets hope for the best for the couple....
The couple -- Kenneth Miller and Betty Lou Japel -- is missing.
-------------------------------------