PDA

View Full Version : HELP - My out drive is stuck

CBadDad
05-17-2007, 04:28 PM
I have a Bravo One outdrive and it is stuck in the up position. When I try to tab it down, all I get is a clicking sound in the trim motor.
Is there any way to manually over ride it? I am suppose to leave for the river tomorrow. I may try and find a replacement motor, but I haven't even begun to look.
Any suggestions?

JB in so cal
05-17-2007, 04:40 PM
Isn't there a reset button on the motor? Check the terminal connections - maybe a little corroded?

CBadDad
05-17-2007, 04:50 PM
I'll take a look.

Boatcop
05-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Don't Bravos have a manual release for the hydraulics?
If so, there will be a large flat blade screw somwhere near the rams. Loosen it slowly, and the drive should drop.

shockwaveharry
05-17-2007, 04:57 PM
Does the pump run when triming up but only click when triming down? Sounds like a bad solenoid or poor connection on that side of it...

CBadDad
05-17-2007, 05:07 PM
I couldn't find a reset button. :confused:
Does the pump run when triming up but only click when triming down? Sounds like a bad solenoid or poor connection on that side of it...
It's in the fully up position. Has been that way for about six months. I get nada when I try and tab up and only a single click when I try and tab down. :mad:

OutCole'd
05-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Stupid question, but how is the battery?

dicudmore
05-17-2007, 05:09 PM
I couldn't find a reset button. :confused:
It's in the fully up position. Has been that way for about six months. I get nada when I try and tab up and only a single click when I try and tab down. :mad:
is the battery dead?

CBadDad
05-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Batteries are brand spanking new.

CBadDad
05-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Or bad switch.
That was my first thought, but I get the click at the trim motor...I dunno. :confused:

BDMar
05-17-2007, 05:15 PM
There are two solenoids on the trim pump. The one with the green wire is the down solenoid. Run a jumper from the large red 10 gauge wire at the pump to the green terminal on the solenoid. If the drive goes down replace that solenoid.

Moon Ray
05-17-2007, 05:15 PM
My Alpha will get stuck in the up position after sitting a long period (months) Have a large someone stand on outdrive while another holds the down button.

BDMar
05-17-2007, 05:18 PM
My Alpha will get stuck in the up position after sitting a long period (months) Have a large someone stand on outdrive while another holds the down button.
Standing on the drive wont make his pump operate. Moon Ray, rebuild the trim cylinders and your problem will go away.

Moon Ray
05-17-2007, 05:28 PM
My pump works, bellows stiff after sitting long winter, once it goes down then it works fine for the summer. But you may be on to something for me to consider...boat going on 27th season.

BDMar
05-17-2007, 05:32 PM
My pump works, bellows stiff after sitting long winter, once it goes down then it works fine for the summer. But you may be on to something for me to consider...boat going on 27th season.
I figured yours did when it would go down with weight on it. Your bellows only seals the u-joints, it can't stop hydraulics from working. When they stick and take weight to move, 99% chance the trim cylinders are the issue. You'll find rock hard o-rings and corrosion in the end caps.
As far as the pump not running, I was refering to CBadDad. His pump is not running, only the solenoid is clicking.

Not So Fast
05-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I figured yours did when it would go down with weight on it. Your bellows only seals the u-joints, it can't stop hydraulics from working. When they stick and take weight to move, 99% chance the trim cylinders are the issue. You'll find rock hard o-rings and corrosion in the end caps.
As far as the pump not running, I was refering to CBadDad. His pump is not running, only the solenoid is clicking.
I would listen to this guy above all others;) NSF

CBadDad
05-17-2007, 05:42 PM
There are two solenoids on the trim pump. The one with the green wire is the down solenoid. Run a jumper from the large red 10 gauge wire at the pump to the green terminal on the solenoid. If the drive goes down replace that solenoid.
This may be a bit more than I can handle at the moment. That fugger is burried in the back corner and I can't even see where the connections are.
BDMar, is there any way to around this or am I outta the water until I finger it out?
I gotta go pick up my daughter from practice now.
It's always something....:(
Happy BDay to me.

Ziggy
05-17-2007, 05:45 PM
This may be a bit more than I can handle at the moment. That fugger is burried in the back corner and I can't even see where the connections are.
BDMar, is there any way to around this or am I outta the water until I finger it out?
Happy BDay to me.
Holy shit Brett, I hope you can get r working....
And wow, I can't believe its been a year since we went to Hooters, Happy Birthday bro!!!

BDMar
05-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Happy BDay to me.
Unfortunately that was the short cut if the solenoid is bad. The problem is that even if you get it down it will have to stay there while you drive the boat. If you trim it up it wont go back down without jumping it and then getting on plane will be a problem. Pretty quick fix for a qualified shop....

BDMar
05-17-2007, 05:47 PM
BTW.....Happy Birthday!

Ziggy
05-17-2007, 05:52 PM
Unfortunately that was the short cut if the solenoid is bad. The problem is that even if you get it down it will have to stay there while you drive the boat. If you trim it up it wont go back down without jumping it and then getting on plane will be a problem. Pretty quick fix for a qualified shop....
Or put another toggle switch in the middle of that jumper wire ;) temporary of course.
I've been called ZigGyver before....lmao gimme a paperclip and watch me go:) :rolleyes: :)

BDMar
05-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Or put another toggle switch in the middle of that jumper wire ;) temporary of course.
I've been called ZigGyver before....lmao gimme a paperclip and watch me go:) :rolleyes: :)
haha I was going to suggest that but then the liability thing came to mind!!:D
"Man gets third degree burns trying to lower his drive in the middle of the lake with 3 foot rollers":eek: :D :D

GHT
05-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Mine was doing the same thing and it was the cylinoid (Sp). Kenny (TRIMM MAN) jumpered the contact on it and I was able to get it to move. It is located next to the pump. Just a thought, because mine was clicking too.

Dons_donzi
05-17-2007, 06:25 PM
take a crecent wrench and short the center and top studs on the top solinoid and it will go down...
i had to do that all weekend when my solinoid went out..
goes up fine... wont come down.....
a bitch to get on plain shooting a rooster tail...
but worse having it all the way down "digging in" the nose...

CBadDad
05-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do about it, since it's dark now and I have to feed the kids. I'm sure I'll figure something out.
Anybody wanna reccomend a good shop between here and Havasu.

Havasu1986
05-17-2007, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=CBadDad;2568099]Thanks guys. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do about it, since it's dark now and I have to feed the kids. I'm sure I'll figure something out.
Anybody wanna reccomend a good shop between here and Havasu.
B&D in El Monte.:)

CBadDad
05-17-2007, 07:12 PM
B&D in El Monte.:)
Not quite on the way, but I'm considering it. :D

ULTRA26 # 1
05-17-2007, 07:23 PM
See if the starter does the same thing, If so, tighten the battery cables at the battery and the connection at the starter. If you have a battery switch, turn it all the way around a few times.
Just another possibility.

phebus
05-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Tow it on out. We will get it working, or we can always get help from a shop out here.

Havasu1986
05-17-2007, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=phebus;2568165]Tow it on out. We will get it working, or we can always get help from a shop out here
Wat to step up Rick.:) BTW why were there fireman on the corner of Beach and Imperial holding there boots in the air...I thought they maybe homeless.:D

shippingguy
05-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Bad solenoid. I had the same thing happen to my last boat. Easy fix.

C-2
05-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Bad solenoid. I had the same thing happen to my last boat. Easy fix.
Yup. Buy yourself two so ya have a spare. Staying on the switch when something is preventing the drive from moving up/down will fry it pretty quickly. I was once forgot to pull the drive up and the lower skeg got seated in a groove on the ramp pretty good - my buddy was inside the boat, jst hammering the up/down switch, freaking trailer was starting to lift up. A few minutes later, it stopped working and when we looked - the solenoid looked like molten lava...:sqeyes: :sqeyes:

CBadDad
05-18-2007, 06:33 AM
Alrighty then, West Marine opens at 8a. I'll run down there and pick me up one and see if I can't fix this biatch myself.
Girlfriend is skeptical, especially when I said Phebus offered to help. She said she has seen Fireman work on shiat before. :eek:

Dons_donzi
05-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Alrighty then, West Marine opens at 8a. I'll run down there and pick me up one and see if I can't fix this biatch myself.
Girlfriend is skeptical, especially when I said Phebus offered to help. She said she has seen Fireman work on shiat before. :eek:
GRAB A SPARE.... they are small, keep it under a seat or something... i had a couple of spares and damn glad i did...
whats 12$ vs a tow job or roasting all day waiting on a "buddy"...?

phebus
05-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Not sure if West Marine will have the part you need. They sell mostly fluff.
Jump it first, and make sure it is the solenoid.

Dons_donzi
05-18-2007, 06:43 AM
easy stuff... just keep the wires seperated... and its 30 minutes to change out. (that includes a beer break..)
the hardest part is getting to it, depending on your engine bay.
( my twins love it when i spend time in the hole with them..)
:D

Dons_donzi
05-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Not sure if West Marine will have the part you need. They sell mostly fluff.
Jump it first, and make sure it is the solenoid.
better a solenoid for 12$ than the trim cylinder for $350...!!!
and dont go GLM.... they are crap for cylinders (if you ever need too)

SB
05-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Sorry to hear your problem.
Funny thing happened about 20 years ago, on my buddy's boat, 150 Johnson OB, wouldn't go down. We figured we would go for a boat ride anyway, and drink heavily at 2 mph. We put it in the water and idled around for a few minutes, then it dropped down.

phebus
05-18-2007, 07:10 AM
And, make sure you shut your batteries off before replacing it. The big red wire is a constant hot.

CBadDad
05-18-2007, 07:56 AM
Marine West didn't have the part.
I'm unable to get anything when I bypass the solinoid. Took a voltmeter to the hot wire- nada. Looked all over for a ground - nada.
Why the click if there is no power? Batts are on - not that that should matter, since it's wired straight from the batteries. Isn't it? Fock I'm lost. Electrical has always been my achillies heal. Shit!

phebus
05-18-2007, 10:05 AM
If there is no power to the trim pump hot lead, check the breakers on the engine. Good chance one is tripped.

RiverDave
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm unable to get anything when I bypass the solinoid. Took a voltmeter to the hot wire- nada. Looked all over for a ground - nada.
Why the click if there is no power? Batts are on - not that that should matter, since it's wired straight from the batteries. Isn't it? Fock I'm lost. Electrical has always been my achillies heal. Shit!
well i'm not one for electrical work, but I am here in Carlsbad so if I can be of any help don't hesitate to let me know.
There's a marine shop in San Marcos called "Maxx Marine" or something to that effect off of barham. I found them completely by accident one time, but everything I saw in there was a performance boat so maybe they can help you out?
RD

BDMar
05-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Check the big square fuse on the large starter post.

BDMar
05-18-2007, 10:24 AM
The solenoid will click because the wire that activates the solenoid is not the one that gives the trim pump its power. If the large red wire does not have 12 volts the solenoid will work but it has no power to send to the trim pump.
Call me, I can talk faster than I can type:)
626-443-3721

x7734x
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Check the fuse on the starter. It looks like a plastic box with two metal pieces one on each side. It's a $30 part but they last thing I checked when I was having my electrical problems.

BDMar
05-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Check the fuse on the starter. It looks like a plastic box with two metal pieces one on each side. It's a $30 part but they last thing I checked when I was having my electrical problems.
Check the big square fuse on the large starter post.
:idea: :D

BDMar
05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
The hydraulic by-pass valve should be right in between the 2 hydraulic lines coming off the pump body. Open that screw push and on the outdrive. It will move very slowly but it will still move.
Also if you have a multi meter check to see if there is continuity through the trim motor. There could be an open winding in there. If you do have continuity check the resistance if its very low or non existant then you have an internal short in the motor.
How old is the trim pump? The brushes might be bad. Thats what happened in my boat. For that you would have to pull the motor off the pump (4 screws in the corners) and take the top cap of it off and visually check to see if the brushes are still connected to their wires and are contacting the armature.
He isn't getting 12v to the pump. Lets not send him all over the map:D

Big Block
05-18-2007, 11:53 AM
I had similar trouble last sumer, I thought. Getting ready to replace batteries, solenoids, wiring, etc. until i noticed that the little trim switch "bell" was out of place on the throttle control. The fix could not have been any easier, and I almost spent hundreds.
Something I have noticed on my Bravo1, when I store the outdrive in it's all the way up position, it will stay put and not budge. But I have heard that outdrives are better off stored in the down position when not being used for a while. So that is what I have been doing, and the bravo will slowly drop all the way down by itself until resting on the ground. Does this sound right, or is this a problem? Thanks..

phebus
05-18-2007, 12:37 PM
I had similar trouble last sumer, I thought. Getting ready to replace batteries, solenoids, wiring, etc. until i noticed that the little trim switch "bell" was out of place on the throttle control. The fix could not have been any easier, and I almost spent hundreds.
Something I have noticed on my Bravo1, when I store the outdrive in it's all the way up position, it will stay put and not budge. But I have heard that outdrives are better off stored in the down position when not being used for a while. So that is what I have been doing, and the bravo will slowly drop all the way down by itself until resting on the ground. Does this sound right, or is this a problem? Thanks..
He's getting a click from the solenoid, so the switch is working.
The reason for storing your boat with the outdrive in the neutral position is because it puts less stress on the bellows.
Your outdrive shouldn't bleed down.

Big Block
05-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Thank you Phebus. Now I know it needs looking into.

CBadDad
05-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of the input and attempts to help me. Electrical problems suck big time!
One my work buddies (laynhose, here on the board- he bught DILLIGAF's old Shockwave) hooked me up with Greg over at JC Marine in Havasu. I spoke to him Friday morning at 10a and he said he'd check it out, so I grabbed my shit and hauled ass as fast as I could to the river. Pulled up at their shop at 3:30p on Friday and within an hour I was good to go.
My trim lift sensor (?) was shot. They were able to bypass the problem and get me on the water. I was told it was about a four hour job to replace the sensor, and that wasn't gonna happen on a Friday night. $85 for an hour of labor seemed like a bargain to me. Mama and I had a great weekend.