PDA

View Full Version : P.T.O. question

OUTLAW HALLETT
05-17-2007, 06:19 PM
im wondering if im a little short on my drive shaft slip yoke cani double up two pto's, is it possiable without machining ? will they just lay atop one another nice and flat thanks

ironman44bear
05-17-2007, 09:47 PM
I would not recomend that, just sounds like a bad idea. Is there anyway you could move the engine back where it needs to be. That would be the safest and most logical solution, but then again I don't know if you can depending on your setup. You might want to look into a longer drive line. What engine are you runnin' ?
Ironman

76ANTHONY
05-17-2007, 10:22 PM
dammmm that sounds unsafe. how far off is it? and cant you buy one the correct size? move the engine back if you can....i wouldnt recommend double driveshafts, sounds crazy as hell to me....:eek: :D :D

wsuwrhr
05-18-2007, 07:14 AM
im wondering if im a little short on my drive shaft slip yoke cani double up two pto's, is it possiable without machining ? will they just lay atop one another nice and flat thanks
If it is completely necessary, it would be a better idea to machine a thicker PTO.
Brian

SmokinLowriderSS
05-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Those PTO bolts would be darned long. How much HP we talking here?
Also, bolts are not meant for shear load, that is why flywheels and such are dowel-pinned. Bolts are actually designed for tension load (pulling against the threads, clamping) Same reason cylinder heads are bushinged into place. The bolts only hold it clamped in place, so it cannot come above the bushings, so the bushings keep it located relative to the block deck.
Without a long dowel-pin, the 2 PTO's would try to rotate separately, the inner one locked to the flexplate/flywheel by the dowel pin, the other trying to twist and cut the bolts in half. Low HP setup with good Gr 8 with the unthreaded shank almost all the way to the crank face might be OK, I wouldn't want to put 500 HP or more on it.

OUTLAW HALLETT
05-18-2007, 04:54 PM
i have about 500 hp i dont think i even need too do anything i have a new driveshaft 1310 but eith the set back the new drive shaft is just hitting the seal witch leaves me with about 1" to 1 1/4"coverage on the shaft witch should be fine i think well see i guess thanks guys