PDA

View Full Version : More pics of the world's longest project

rrrr
04-01-2003, 08:03 PM
I have a couple more photos to share. There has been a budget request turned into my CFO for braided hoses, but no answer yet. :D :D
I just need to complete the fuel system and wiring, then it'll be time to crank it over.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/109FE3197-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/109FE3195-med.jpg

GofastRacer
04-01-2003, 08:13 PM
rrrr:
I have a couple more photos to share. There has been a budget request turned into my CFO for braided hoses, but no answer yet. :D :D
I just need to complete the fuel system and wiring, then it'll be time to crank it over.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/109FE3197-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/109FE3195-med.jpg Man, that is looking sweet! :cool: :cool:
If you have a problem getting AN stuff, I can take care of ya!.. wink

Hud
04-01-2003, 08:54 PM
The boat looks great. Please paint & move the MSD box. Thank you kindly!! Just my 2 cents. idea

rrrr
04-01-2003, 09:35 PM
Hud:
The boat looks great. Please paint & move the MSD box. Thank you kindly!! Just my 2 cents. idea Yep, I need to move it somewhere else. The whole idea is to restore the boat to it's original condition. I decided to use an MSD box because I'm too old to remember how to set up a dual point distributor. :D :D
It looks goofy with that big "thang" hanging on the end of the head. Thanks for your opinion, it validates what I was already thinkin'....

Hud
04-01-2003, 09:39 PM
I can see that you have done a lot of work there and it sure looks good.

Dragboat Dad
04-01-2003, 09:42 PM
That thing is lookin' really good. I can imagine the time you have in it. I'm surprised the CFO didn't jump ship with all the time you must have spent in the garage.
[ April 01, 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Dragboat Dad ]

04-01-2003, 09:58 PM
It doesn't get any better than that!

76biesmeyer
04-02-2003, 04:11 AM
Great job!!You should be proud of it!!It would look even sweeter with a polished drive shaft housing!! Just my two cents.

stump
04-02-2003, 04:26 AM
I agree with 76 on the drive shaft housing,when that shaft starts spinning the grease on the slip shaft and if you have a weak u joint seal is gonna sling grease all over the place,just a thought.

DansBlown73Nordic
04-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Very Nice Job...... :D

ssmike
04-02-2003, 10:48 AM
RRRR,
Looks great!!! Wow, I would almost be afraid to get that baby wet!!! wink wink

coolchange
04-02-2003, 05:14 PM
Heey, that thing has the dist on the right end! Just realized what I was looking at. Did you redo the floors, they look pretty clean. We gonna see it on Canyon this summer?
[ April 02, 2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: coolchange ]

rrrr
04-02-2003, 06:19 PM
coolchange:
Heey, that thing has the dist on the right end! Just realized what I was looking at. Did you redo the floors, they look pretty clean. We gonna see it on Canyon this summer? Maybe, Canyon is a nice lake and I have a golfing buddy that lives there. The floors are original, they are really nice and clean.
Hey Hud, the MSD box is outta there. It looks a lot better!!
I just finished for the night, got the fuel filter/seperator mounted. I love this shit, filter canister won't clear the floor mounted on the stringer, so I had to fabricate a bracket and a backing plate. Had to polish them. Had to drill the stringer. Had to polish the bolts. Had to get out the 5200 to squirt on the inside of the bracket and backing plate. Had to bolt it on. If you looked at it you'd think it took 20 minutes, not 2 1/2 hours. And no, I ain't drinking. :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/109Filter.jpg
[ April 03, 2003, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: rrrr ]

Hud
04-02-2003, 09:10 PM
rrrr, I was thinking about putting the msd box on the brace by the driveshaft in front of the motor, on the starter side. Tape off the msd sign and paint the box to match the rest of the hardware. Just a idea :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-02-2003, 11:23 PM
I know I am a mudsucker but I must say..........Got damn wink that is one nice ass boat wink wink wink wink wink wink Keep it up! I am getting jealous wink
396_With_2_Thumbs_Up

V-Drive Tom
04-03-2003, 07:10 AM
rrrr, You'r boat looks perfectly Bitchen! It should go to some car type shows or something, before it gets much use. Show people what restored nestalgia, boat style, looks like. Don't worry about braided lines. A good job with rubber is going to look great. You have done a great job!! :cool: TOM..

rrrr
04-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Hud:
rrrr, I was thinking about putting the msd box on the brace by the driveshaft in front of the motor, on the starter side. Tape off the msd sign and paint the box to match the rest of the hardware. Just a idea :D That's what I'm thinking too. Does it fry the box if it gets wet?

ACCEPTENCE
04-03-2003, 09:46 AM
FRy the MSD box???? It will take a slpash maybe but not getting wet. Heres a thought, worked for me.
Fabricate an aluminum sheet metal box, polish it pretty, mount it on the stringer behind either seat, fabricate a cover for the box out of translucent plexie glass for a cover, use stainless button heads to hold the cover in place. If the cover color matches your hardware it makes for a nice look and you have now moved and protected your ignition system.
Just a thought.
BTW: Very bitchen job on the entrie boat :D :D :D

Hud
04-03-2003, 11:54 AM
rrrr, Like Acceptence said, I have my msd7al mounted on the stringer behind the drivers seat. Never had water get on it there. I like the plexie glass cover idea

U-Haul
04-03-2003, 02:34 PM
That looks spectacular, I'll keep an eye out for ya.

superdave013
04-03-2003, 02:59 PM
That's coming out so killer. I think nicely done rubber lines will be more period correct for that boat. I love the s.s. ones but you would save a shit load of money and have a more correct peice with rubber. Just a thought.
I have that same MSD box. It's the marine version. The guy before me mounted it where it would get totaly soaked every time the boat went out. I'm going to re located it but it never failed when wet. I like the idea of painting it to match.

rrrr
04-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Heading for the house, I just finished the fuel system. This afternoon I used an old electric pump to circulate 10 gallons of gas in each tank through a 10 micron filter. I'm hoping the gas will act as a solvent, pick up all the old crap and prevent any problems.
The fuel lines are all fastened down with adal clamps. I slipped them under the backing plates for the transom shaft bearings. You can see the 5200 squeezed out, fortunately this is hidden so it doesn't have to be perfect. The photo is of the tee, 1/4" lines from each tank going to a 3/8" line to the pump. I used USCG approved fire resistant hose for the fuel lines.
I also finished the plumbing for the mechanical oil pressure gauge this afternoon. That was the last thing on the oiling system, dumped in the Castrol and smiled.
It won't be much longer, just gotta finish the wiring. As you all know, v-drives with no alternator don't take a lot of wiring, so maybe this weekend...... :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/109gas-med.jpg
[ April 03, 2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: rrrr ]