PDA

View Full Version : kathrines landing to Hoover Dam

willowrat
05-18-2007, 10:29 AM
I want to make the trip from kathrines landing to Hoover dam. How is it? I here the chop can really kick up on Mohave.

Screaming Pete
05-18-2007, 10:39 AM
yes in the afternoon, but still worth the trip.

x7734x
05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
If memory serves me correctly, you can only go all the way up river on certain days.

dirty old man
05-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Its a great trip, chop or not. If it gets really windy, don't cross the big basin

dicudmore
05-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I want to make the trip from kathrines landing to Hoover dam. How is it? I here the chop can really kick up on Mohave.
remember you can not go until AFTER memorial weekend...
tuesday through saturday only...can not go past willow beach on sunday or monday and not at all until AFTER memorial...
it is a great ride...

Captain Dan
05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
remember you can not go until AFTER memorial weekend...
tuesday through saturday only...can not go past willow beach on sunday or monday and not at all until AFTER memorial...
it is a great ride...
tuesday thru saturday is limited to 65 hp engines (I think until after Memorial Day). I read it on the marker last Friday.

willowrat
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
I am planning a week or two after memorial. I will be in a 24 ft cat. Can you get close enough to see the dam?

Beer-30
05-18-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31213&stc=1&d=1179514631 pretty close:

Ziggy
05-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Its nearly 70 miles from Katherines. The big basin can get wicked in the afternoons if the wind picks up, a few of the basins beyond Cottonwood can get choppy too.................that all said, it'll be one of the prettiest boat rides you'll ever take. No real underwater hazards to speak of except a few alongs the shores near the dam.
If there's space on the beach, stop off at the hot springs a few miles below the dam and on the AZ side, take the 5-10 minute hike up(up the ladder). Its neat to see the water oozing right out of the walls, some of it blazing hot.
Thats all hot water coming off this fall.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31214&stc=1&d=1179514701

willowrat
05-18-2007, 11:01 AM
That looks great. I can't wait. What about the water depth that close?

AirtimeLavey
05-18-2007, 11:06 AM
That's a great ride. Look closely on the hillsides, you'll see big horn sheep. Cottonwood cove has a restaurant, if you have to wait out big rollers on the Basin. Since I've had my lavey 24, I've never had to wait out the rollers. If you're in doubt, wait it out. Gas/ice avail. at Cottonwood and Willow.

ibelio
05-18-2007, 11:07 AM
H.b. peeps are making a dam run june 8/9 i think?

LuckyStrike
05-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Ive Boated Mainly in South Fla and the N. Fla. Keys....Great Boating. But in my 10 years of living in AZ and 9 years on Lake Mohave I think it is the Best Boating Run From Kathrines to Cottonwood then a stop at Willow then up to the Dam That Ive Done..50 or so runs later I never Get Tired of the Wildlife and Different things to see on the way.

DILLIGAF
05-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Ive Boated Mainly in South Fla and the N. Fla. Keys....Great Boating. But in my 10 years of living in AZ and 9 years on Lake Mohave I think it is the Best Boating Run From Kathrines to Cottonwood then a stop at Willow then up to the Dam That Ive Done..50 or so runs later I never Get Tired of the Wildlife and Different things to see on the way.
It definitly is a very nice ride up/back.

Beer-30
05-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Just watch it at the last corner - just as you start to see the dam. It gets around 5 feet along the sides. You'll see the ripples. Just stay in the middle.
You will be at about 12-1500 rpm to stay put. The flow is pretty strong.
Keep an eye on your fuel. It is about 62 miles from Katherines. I put in 10 gals at Willow, just for fun. I ended up running out about 5 miles from Katherines. It was my first long run with the boat, so I was still getting a feel for the fuel status. Mine only has 68 gal cap, and I had the 22P prop on. I probably would have been OK with the 24. If you have a fairly small fuel cap, top off at Willow or Cottonwood.

bigboy_77
I went from the damn to kathrines in a canoe when I was a kid in the boy scouts. It was pretty cool. It took five days though.

DILLIGAF
Its nearly 70 miles from Katherines. The big basin can get wicked in the afternoons if the wind picks up, a few of the basins beyond Cottonwood can get choppy too.................that all said, it'll be one of the prettiest boat rides you'll ever take. No real underwater hazards to speak of except a few alongs the shores near the dam.
If there's space on the beach, stop off at the hot springs a few miles below the dam and on the AZ side, take the 5-10 minute hike up(up the ladder). Its neat to see the water oozing right out of the walls, some of it blazing hot.
Thats all hot water coming off this fall.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31214&stc=1&d=1179514701
62 miles from dam to dam

Ziggy
05-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Not really an issue, its plenty deep, water very clear so any hazards are visible.
When you reach the markers at the dam you'll need a little more than idle to keep pace against the current.
Its ball shrinking but jump into the icy water...super refreshing :D

AirtimeLavey
05-18-2007, 11:22 AM
I went from the damn to kathrines in a canoe when I was a kid in the boy scouts. It was pretty cool. It took five days though.
Oh yeah, keep an eye out for the tour boats and kayakers/canoers, especially when rounding the corners. As you get close to the damn, watch the island/sandbar on the left/west side. I usually top off at Willow either before or after the final stretch to the dam.

Mrs.Racer277
05-18-2007, 11:26 AM
It is a beautiful ride.
But, Mochoppy sucks late afternoon. :)

willowrat
05-18-2007, 12:58 PM
thanks all. I am there.

RiverToysJas
05-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Been there many times....several times by canoe, and once in the Lavey. That "beach" (peddle/rocks) can be a bitch to anchor in with the underwater hazards, current, and wakes of passing boats.
Cool little stop though for sure!!!
RTJas :D

Ziggy
05-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Been there many times....several times by canoe, and once in the Lavey. That "beach" (peddle/rocks) can be a bitch to anchor in with the underwater hazards, current, and wakes of passing boats.
Cool little stop though for sure!!!
RTJas :D
Yeah, I let myself go downriver from it, then ease it upriver parallel to the shore, drift back and shoot to the right.....Looks scarier than it actually is.
Worst was the water level changing so rapidly. I pull it way up onto the beach and tied it off up front, came back 15 minutes later and couldn't see my boat....:eek: .I FREAKED!!! Water had come up enough to float the boat again and because the water flow creates an Eddy there the boat drifted upriver(still tied off at the bow) and grounded under the shrubs again.
A good stop too if desperate for a shitter...LOL great big smelly toilet hut there :D

pw_Tony
05-18-2007, 08:20 PM
:Oh yah don't forget this one! If you do go hang out at the hot springs make re you don't beach your boat. The water below Hoover and drop and raise LIKE NO ONE'S BUISNESS! It's a beautiful drive though
http://i8.tinypic.com/4xutybm.jpg
Oh yah, if you're planning to go i a shallow hull Jet boat, make sure it's not going to monsoon that day! Let's just say that was a crazy scary ride! Have fun :devil: :D :mad: it was a blast for us (very very old picture when I was a little tyke)

NashvilleBound
05-19-2007, 05:16 AM
We went up a few years ago with some of the Las Vegas HB guys.... When we left it was 1-2 foot chop.....nice and the ride up the valley was beautiful. We got to the damn... took some pictures.... headed back.....then when we got back into the basin the swells were 6-7 foot. 2 feet over the bow of my Ultra! One of the scarest rides in all our boating adventures. :jawdrop:

DILLIGAF
05-19-2007, 09:10 AM
We went up a few years ago with some of the Las Vegas HB guys.... When we left it was 1-2 foot chop.....nice and the ride up the valley was beautiful. We got to the damn... took some pictures.... headed back.....then when we got back into the basin the swells were 6-7 foot. 2 feet over the bow of my Ultra! One of the scarest rides in all our boating adventures. :jawdrop:
That's when you get on top and ride em cowboy :)