PDA

View Full Version : Chromed intake?

flat broke
10-06-2003, 09:35 AM
I know there are a couple of guys running chromed intakes and while it is strictly a maintenance issue for me in terms of wipe down etc, I had some questions about the mechanical aspect of it. When the manifold is dipped, is the interior of the part coated as well? If so has anyone ever had any issues with the plating breaking free and causing problems? My current manifold will be shedding its powdercoat skin and I'm looking into alternative options for appearance.
Thanks,
Chris

gnarley
10-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Another problem with polishing or plating parts is they retain heat better & longer. Heat in my intake is not my friend. Anything that will dissipate heat is better such as the bare manifold as it come out of the box. Polishing the outside of the manifold helps seal the pores & then it retains heat longer. On another note plating could be real bad if any of the plating got sucked into the engine. There was a time epoxy was used on the inside of intake ports & it would come loose every once in a while & it didn't do any damage that we found but then epoxy is soft when compared to chrome.

Hotcrusader76
10-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Yes the inside of the intake gets coated as well or at least the bronze does...which is part of the plateing process.

Cs19
10-06-2003, 09:45 PM
polish it,then have it clear coated.You really cant go wrong, you lose something like 10% of the polish, but you never have to break out the mothers. :D good luck.

Jet City
10-07-2003, 01:31 AM
I'm kinda partial to ceramic coated intakes myself, looks great, stays looking great.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
10-07-2003, 04:59 AM
Jet City Rebel:
I'm kinda partial to ceramic coated intakes myself, looks great, stays looking great. got to agree with you on that one. I bought my intake used and it was coated 4 years ago. Still looks new and shiny. Easier to clean than chrome too. Just don't hit it with a wrench.... :D wink
Omega