PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractors.. Who uses them?

Boozer
05-20-2007, 08:07 PM
At the ripe old age of 26 my back is shot. Sometimes I throw my back out just getting up out of my office chair.
Today I had a lot of things to do and was unable to do any of them. Last night I threw my back out and have been barely able to walk today let alone do anything productive.
I'm open to just about anything at this point and have been seriously considering taking on the services of a Chiropractor. Some time back I considered using a Chiro but my at the time gf's father is a world reknowned Ortho surgeon and told me a Chiro will do more harm then good.
How many of you have used or currently use a Chiropractor? Has your situation improved any? How severe was your problem prior to using the chiro?

sleekcraft80
05-20-2007, 08:11 PM
They are wonderful. I have been going to chiropractors since my late 20s. Being in construction all my life I had a real need for them

little rowe boat
05-20-2007, 08:12 PM
I do, and I always leave the office feeling much better than when I arrived.

Havasu1986
05-20-2007, 08:21 PM
They are wonderful. I have been going to chiropractors since my late 20s. Being in construction all my life I had a real need for them
Ditto. ;)

moneypit
05-20-2007, 09:07 PM
I am one.
However, we are like everyother profession. There are good and bad. Get a good referral. Start by asking the othropedist in your area or friends. If you have trouble let me know, I might be able to help you find a reputable one in your area.

shockwaveharry
05-20-2007, 09:53 PM
I believe in 'em! My back went out at 25 from leaning over fenders all day fixing cars. Do what he tells you but in my experience, my back tweaks out when I get out of shape. Sit ups, back extensions and stretching after you straighten things out properly will go a long way towards keeping you healthy and lower back pain free.

MudPumper
05-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Boozer, if your back is out, the chiro will adjust you back in place an aleviate your pain. To keep your back from going out, you need to excercise regularly. Your muscles hold your bones in place. When your muscles are week from not excercising your vertabra slip out of alignment (vertabral subluxation) and the muscles go into spasm straining to keep everything in place. You might also experince pain from nerves getting pinched.
Bottom line, you need to strengthen your muscles, especially your abs. And stretch also.:idea:

mbrown2
05-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Go to a Ortho Surgeon and get a Prescription to a Pilates studio for Physical Therapy...best thing I ever did and in just three months my back feels like 18 again...
I used to exercise 3-4 times a week and think I was working the core...Pilates taught me different....it has everything to do with posture and a strong core...
The xrays looked good on my back but obviously I was not training and stretching it correctly...sitting in a chair all day will do that to you.....Never been to a Chiro and hope I don't have to go.

mmered8299
05-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Boozer, if your back is out, the chiro will adjust you back in place an aleviate your pain. To keep your back from going out, you need to excercise regularly. Your muscles hold your bones in place. When your muscles are week from not excercising your vertabra slip out of alignment (vertabral subluxation) and the muscles go into spasm straining to keep everything in place. You might also experince pain from nerves getting pinched.
Bottom line, you need to strengthen your muscles, especially your abs. And stretch also.:idea:
This is what you need to start doing Boozer. I was in the same boat. Take some Palites classes. Build you "core" muscles. You wont be dissapointed.

GRUNION
05-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Good post.
I have been shot in the back so I have bullet fragments in my spinal canal. Lots of pain and damage. Anyways the only thing that has ever helped me was going to the gym.

phebus
05-21-2007, 06:03 AM
My advice would be to go to a neuro surgeon or orthopedic surgeon and get a proper diagnosis of what is wrong with your back, and then proceed with any treatment whether it be chiropractic care or a medical doctors care.

HocusPocus
05-21-2007, 06:32 AM
I am one.
However, we are like everyother profession. There are good and bad. Get a good referral. Start by asking the othropedist in your area or friends. If you have trouble let me know, I might be able to help you find a reputable one in your area.
what he said.. we had a bad one and it for sure made things worse, his adjustments put my wife and tears... and she didn't even make a wimper while giving birth with no drugs! we did end up getting refered to a retired chiropractor who just worked from his home and this guy was incredible and worked wonders.

anxious
05-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Boozer,
My mom is a chiro and it was more of a convenience and just let her crack my back every few weeks and I would definately feel better afterwards. It wasnt until Christmas 05 that I fractured to vertabrae and had a lower back spinal compression fracture that I really relied on a chiro. Pain meds didnt do anything. It was going to a chiro

Mandelon
05-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I've had good luck with the ones I've seen. Mostly for my neck, but the back needs help sometimes too. I was skeptical, but what they did worked for me.
I'd hurt my neck wakeboarding, and ruptured a couple discs in my neck. I had numb hands, tingly arms and severe pain. Today all is good.
I'd suggest you buy yourself a Roman Chair from a fitness equipment place. Its a cheap piece of equipment that can really work out your back, abs and core areas.

Ziggy
05-21-2007, 08:15 AM
My wife walks on my back..........snap, crackle, pop.