PDA

View Full Version : Hallett 245 - Question

2HOT4GLAMIS
05-21-2007, 04:29 PM
I bought a Hallett 245 a while back and the thing seems to list a great deal when not in perfectly flat water. It is a constant struggle to keep this boat level. Is anyone familiar with this hull and this situation? Have you heard of this problem?
I have had many boats and know how to use trim tabs.... this boat does not behave well.
Looking for some input - thanks

MUDXPRT
05-21-2007, 05:21 PM
I have owned a 21' Vector, 240 and currently a 270 and never had to use my trim tabs ever. So I couldn't begin to answer your question except that is very unfamilar for their boats, also do you mean a 255 Hallett because I have never heard of a 245.

2HOT4GLAMIS
05-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Nope, it is a 245. They only made them for a couple years. This one is a 99' and in brand new shape. No step, deep V.
Never felt this listing in anyone of my Eliminators or in any other V for that matter.

Beer-30
05-21-2007, 09:45 PM
It is probably not that much of a list, but it seems like alot to you. I have some friends with a 25' Shockwave Tremor. They are constantly using the tabs to level it out. It is very load-sensitive. One extra body on one side causes a noticeable lean in that direction. I think the "shorter" Vs are more prone to it. That is just a guess.
I can only compare theirs to mine. I can load everything to one side and not feel a thing.
Personally, I don't think it leans enough to start tabbing in and "dirtying" up the ride. I would just let it ride. I think some people think a little lean is alot.

C-2
05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Have you and a buddy (behind the boat while on the trailer) checked your tabs to make sure both are responding correctly and that your tab indicator isn't broken, stuck in place, or giving a false reading?
Maybe a straight edge along the bottom to see if you have a hook?:confused: :confused:

DeltaSigBoater
05-21-2007, 10:04 PM
I bought a Hallett 245 a while back and the thing seems to list a great deal when not in perfectly flat water. It is a constant struggle to keep this boat level. Is anyone familiar with this hull and this situation? Have you heard of this problem?
I have had many boats and know how to use trim tabs.... this boat does not behave well.
Looking for some input - thanks
Could You post a couple pictures of your boat. May help a few of us get the problem solving juices flowing

River918
05-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Nope, it is a 245. They only made them for a couple years. This one is a 99' and in brand new shape. No step, deep V.
Never felt this listing in anyone of my Eliminators or in any other V for that matter.
I would check again because if it really a "245" and not a "255" it has a step. We actually bought a new one '99 and had it for a couple years. The boat was great for us, but it did take some wheel time before I got the handle on it. From speaking with Jerry at Hallett, he told me they weren't totally happy with the performace of the step bottom on the 245 and that was why they quit making it. They actually took the non-stepped bottom of the 240 and the top from the 245 and came out with the 255 around 2001. Just curious, what motor are you running? I would give it a couple trips, use the tabs when needed, and you should be fine....

bear down
05-22-2007, 03:34 AM
I would check again because if it really a "245" and not a "255" it has a step. We actually bought a new one '99 and had it for a couple years. The boat was great for us, but it did take some wheel time before I got the handle on it. From speaking with Jerry at Hallett, he told me they weren't totally happy with the performace of the step bottom on the 245 and that was why they quit making it. They actually took the non-stepped bottom of the 240 and the top from the 245 and came out with the 255 around 2001. Just curious, what motor are you running? I would give it a couple trips, use the tabs when needed, and you should be fine....
It is probably not that much of a list, but it seems like alot to you. I have some friends with a 25' Shockwave Tremor. They are constantly using the tabs to level it out. It is very load-sensitive. One extra body on one side causes a noticeable lean in that direction. I think the "shorter" Vs are more prone to it. That is just a guess.
I can only compare theirs to mine. I can load everything to one side and not feel a thing.
Personally, I don't think it leans enough to start tabbing in and "dirtying" up the ride. I would just let it ride. I think some people think a little lean is alot.
From what one of our good friends saw it lists pretty good, something that is not normal....Good Luck!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/beardown3450/post-6451-1176679079_thumb.jpg?t=1179833360

bohica
05-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Here is a pic of the boat. It's definitely a 245 non step bottom. I say get rid of those Bennett trim tabs and put some real one's on there.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-6451-1176659927_thumb.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-6451-1176678679_thumb.jpg

River918
05-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Here is a pic of the boat. It's definitely a 245 non step bottom. I say get rid of those Bennett trim tabs and put some real one's on there.
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-6451-1176659927_thumb.jpg
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/uploads/post-6451-1176678679_thumb.jpg
Their "step bottom" at that time was what we see today. The Step is actually only on the bottom of the boat and not notched into the side. I don't have any pictures of the actual bottom of my old boat, but the top one of the two atatched shows the step if you look real hard. Look just to the right of the vacuum handle on the floor and you can see a portion of the fiberglass hanging down and you can see the very small (approximate 2") step I am talking about. In the second picture, you can see that the step doesn't go all the way through to the sides of the boat and that is why you cant see it in the posted running shot. The step is underneath the boat, about where the front tire of the trailer is.
I would agree with replacing those Bennett tabs with with some Dana's to give you a little more tab in the water.
Man, sorting through these old prictures sure brought back some memories. I loved that Hallett, especially the price I paid for it. (O.T.D. for right at 50K), kind of alot then; not much now....I saw one of our friends had their '99 in the boattrader a few months ago for 53K.....Halletts sure hold their value.
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31447&stc=1&d=1179853033

C-2
05-22-2007, 09:19 AM
What size Bennett's? If you don't want to spring for the spendy Dana's, or are unsure they will resolve your problem, maybe switch up to the larger Bennett's? I picked up 12" plates, two more rams and a new pump (all new)on ebay for less than $300. The plates are simple - they slide right on the existing hinge - just need to add the extra ram for the strength.
There is/was a guy on OSO who also makes large retrofit, K-Plane style plates for your existing Bennett hardware.

Havasu Hangin'
05-22-2007, 09:33 AM
The deeper the V, the more weight sensitive it will be. Mine is weight sensitive, and it has twins- the torque of a single will make it even worse.
Most of the time, just leveling a tab will cure it- no need to drop it.

2HOT4GLAMIS
05-22-2007, 12:21 PM
It is a non step hull....
Jerry at Hallett said they did not build one but the owner has a little more knowledge.
As far as how much it list's... the rail can drop to the water line, it is significant.
Bigger tabs - I don't think that will solve the problem - there seems to be a fundemental issue.

spectras only
05-22-2007, 12:41 PM
My boat [ 24 degree deadrise] lists slightly to starboard with twins at rest . The helm is a heavy piece of fiberglass and it meant to be balanced with a the water tank full of water for the sink . At running it doesn't list at all . If you're listing running ,then definitely something wrong with the weight distribution , and as HH mentioned torque will effect the ride . Do Hallett's have some foam injected under the seats in the cabin ,maybe water logged ? Just speculating .

bohica
05-22-2007, 12:47 PM
It is a non step hull....
Jerry at Hallett said they did not build one but the owner has a little more knowledge.
As far as how much it list's... the rail can drop to the water line, it is significant.
Bigger tabs - I don't think that will solve the problem - there seems to be a fundemental issue.
Has it done it again since the day I seen you?
Since you already have 2 boats, what's one more. Go buy a Cat this time.:D

2HOT4GLAMIS
05-22-2007, 03:40 PM
It has brother.... Not as bad, but it is a white nuckle ride with any sort of wake rolling across. Once it starts to list it does not want to come back very easily. It also does it coming off the throttle... crazy. Wife and kids do not want to ride in it......
I am taking in to Hallett to have them go through it.
Got to look at Cat's - You know me all to well.
Has it done it again since the day I seen you?
Since you already have 2 boats, what's one more. Go buy a Cat this time.:D

phebus
05-22-2007, 05:28 PM
It has brother.... Not as bad, but it is a white nuckle ride with any sort of wake rolling across. Once it starts to list it does not want to come back very easily. It also does it coming off the throttle... crazy. Wife and kids do not want to ride in it......
I am taking in to Hallett to have them go through it.
Got to look at Cat's - You know me all to well.
I had a boat that would want to torque to the side when I came off throttle, but found out that I was over trimmed, and it didn't do it with a more neutral trim.